[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
the scoring system in numbers?
Forum Index » Frequently Asked Questions
vonknut

vonknut

can't find an explanation on how the scores for ranked games works.

but to the question:

do you loose more points for surrendering than for loosing 'normally'?
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

i dont know the "formula".... (i have asked that one myself ... and it remains unanswered....)

But you loose more points the bigger the difference in points..
In random games i will lose between 20-25 points if the opponent is fairly equal in points, but i have lost almost 40 points to a lower ranked player...

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
s3m420

s3m420

I've been playing uniwar for a good while now and feel like I understand all there is to know except the formula for how rated games are scored. Maybe this question is still unanswered but thought I'd ask again since I haven't found anything recent about it. Any thoughts or ideas at least?
popHADZ

popHADZ

do infantry have immunity from being flipped if they are on a friendly base?
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

popHADZ wrote: do infantry have immunity from being flipped if they are on a friendly base?

No. And you are asking a question in a thread that does not relate at all to you question - please make a new request next time.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

s3m420 wrote: I've been playing uniwar for a good while now and feel like I understand all there is to know except the formula for how rated games are scored. Maybe this question is still unanswered but thought I'd ask again since I haven't found anything recent about it. Any thoughts or ideas at least?

I have found out something.
I dont know the actual formula, but i know they use a modified version of the "Elo rating system" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELO_rating_system

I tested some, and i think max points is around 40 ("K" in the Elo formula)
PlayerA and B will then win/lose points according to expected score * K.
Example: PlayerA can win 15 and loose 25, playerB can win 25 and loose 15

I also know that full points is for random games only, and other rated give half.

There is also a modification where you get less end less for playing vs the same player (to prevent cheating).

I think the current system based on the Elo rating system is good for the lower rankings in the game but not so good on higher levels. Reason for that is that the formula uses the absolute point-difference as parameter and not the relative.
In uniwar there is much bigger skill difference between players on 1600vs1800 than players on 2300vs2500 - but the formula will assign points the same in these 2 examples.
And the result is that high level players risk loosing very much points vs players on almost the same skill and with little to gain.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 05, 2012 14:43

[Email]
ricrac

ricrac

Ahh, thanks! So the way you've played does not have any impact at all (Number of turns, units lost, units killed...).

It's just a comparison of the ranking and it seems that the rankings at the end of the game counts. That means you will get less points for a victory if you started a game against an equal player and you've won a lot of other games in the meantime (some players seem to extend their time for a turn to the maximum when the know they lose...)
[Avatar]
Mantis Lord

[Avatar]
Mantis Lord

Yeah I noticed it seemed very similar to ELO, but things seem to get strange towards the very high numbers. The highest ranked chess players in the world rarely even hit 2800+, so there must be some differences.

Is there some cutoff too for not being able to get points from bots anymore based on your rating?

Teams mess with the system I think too. If you have a 2000 player and a 1600 player vs. two 1500 players, the 2000 and 1600 get the same score I believe (definitely for a win, not 100% sure about a loss). I don't see why you wouldn't just scale it for each one?

How does a helicopter catch the flu, exactly?
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

Mantis Lord wrote: Yeah I noticed it seemed very similar to ELO, but things seem to get strange towards the very high numbers. The highest ranked chess players in the world rarely even hit 2800+, so there must be some differences.

Is there some cutoff too for not being able to get points from bots anymore based on your rating?

Teams mess with the system I think too. If you have a 2000 player and a 1600 player vs. two 1500 players, the 2000 and 1600 get the same score I believe (definitely for a win, not 100% sure about a loss). I don't see why you wouldn't just scale it for each one?

Have found out about the formula. Explained it under tips and tricks section.
Uses standard ELO with K-factor 42. Points halved in non random 1:1. And also adjusted if you play the same player much in rated.

The reason it gets beyond 2800 in uniwar is because the obvious exploit of 3 and 10 minute rigged games. Many oof the "top" players are just mediocre and have obtained their score by tricking gullible players into rigged short games (and / or bot games). Hopefully the devs will remove the option to play rated in 3 and 10 minute games and reset current ladder - at least those above 2000. (my opinion)

[Email]
Forum Index » Frequently Asked Questions