[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
About Luck
Forum Index » General Discussion
[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

What do you guys think about the luck factor in Uniwar?
i.e. sometimes a swarmer without gangup will do 3 damage or 1 damage to a garuda, instead of the usual 2 damage.

I feel that luck shouldn't be in a strategy game. Many games that I have won/lost all have come down to one lucky shot that managed to kill one of my opponent's/my key units.
I personally think that there should be a preset damage number for each unit. In other words, those yellow and orange dots that predict how much damage you'll do/take should be correct 100% of the time.

Your thoughts?

When life gives you lemons...

"TAKE YOUR DAMN LEMONS BACK, LIFE. I DON'T WANT YOUR STINKIN' LEMONS."
[Avatar]
lantry

[Avatar]
lantry

I'm not sure I am going to agree with you here. I have thought about this issue a lot, especially in how it relates to multiplayer games where players are ranked. Obviously, the more luck that is involved in the game, the less the score will actually be a reflection of their skill as a player. However, you have to keep in mind that this isn't a math equation or an assembly line; we aren't looking for the best, most efficient answer. I think that the little bit of luck there makes the game more interesting while still being small enough to have the game be mostly skill.
[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

I found the attack formula thingy-

rolando wrote: Many players have asked for this so here it is!

First, the variables:

A = Attack strength of the attacking unit
Ta = Terrain modifier for the attacking unit
D = Defense strength of the defending unit
Td = Terrain modifer for the defending unit
B = Gang up bonus
H = The attacking unit's health points.

Next, the formula:
p = 0.05 * (((A + Ta) - (D + Td)) + B) + 0.5
if p < 0 then p = 0
if p > 1 then p = 1

This is how to figure out the damage:
1. Pick one unit to be the attacker and the other to be the defender.
2. Use the formula above to obtain p.
3. Take H and multiply by 6. This is the number of random numbers (r) generated between 0 and 1. For every r < p a hit is counted.
4. The total number of hits divided by 6 is the number of damage the defending unit will receive.
5. Switch roles between the units (attacker becomes the defender and vice versa).
6. Use the same formula above.
7. Once both units have attacked the damage points are calculated into their health points.

I will use a quick example:
Underling vs Marauder both on Plains
If you use the formula you see that the Underling has a 30% probability of dealing damage for each of its health points whereas the Marauder has a 75% probability of dealing damage for each of its health points.

If the Underling were on a Mountain though, the numbers change to 40% for the Underling and 55% for the Marauder.

That's it!

The UniWar Team

Meh, I guess luck is an important part of the game.
Hmm.

When life gives you lemons...

"TAKE YOUR DAMN LEMONS BACK, LIFE. I DON'T WANT YOUR STINKIN' LEMONS."
tiberian

tiberian

Have you ever played risk? Amazing game, but it does have a luck factor along with it. In fact most turn based strategy games have a luck factor. In these games you are a general commanding you'r troops, some days your troops will outperform other days. In real life there is always a luck factor to war, as the general you'r job is to command you'r troops in such a way that makes that luck factor as minute as possible. Off the top of my head I can only think of four turn based strategy games that don't have a luck factor, Chess, Diplomacy(although there is a diplomatic factor that mite count.), Checkers and Othello.
[Avatar]
rwieczor84

[Avatar]
rwieczor84

yes, each war have many luck factors! in uniwar its very small so it doesn't spoils the game but also makes the game less predictable
gojira

gojira

I think there is a reason that luck is present in most all strategy war games. Its a random factor that exist's in real life since the inception of organized warfare. There are elements in every battle that are not controllable by commanders and managing those can be the key to victory many times. Experiencing a raw deal isn't fun but it is accurate/realistic IMO.

I agree for the sake of game play experience, luck should never(or very rarely ever) play an overwhelming factor in a win or a loss. The difference between a 1hp attack or a three hp attack to me is a perfect example of the random elements found in warfare.

You need to manage these random elements. You need to have a flexible attack plan that doesn't crumble because of a bad die roll. You need to learn to gamble and accept when things don't really turn out as you had planned, thats why its called a gamble.

Its a debate that has raged in the strategy game community for eons but its worth noting that when the first board-wargames were made for military study they included random elements. Its where the concept originates from.
Forum Index » General Discussion