[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Mirror Matches
Forum Index » General Discussion
[Avatar]
Cpt Hawaiian

[Avatar]
Cpt Hawaiian

So I've been thinking about K vs. K matchup a lot lately, and how mass swarmers is kind of lame. And in some ways mirror matches are just a bit less fun than others. And I thought, "wouldn't it be cool if each race also had certain abilities or units that were mainly specialized to be used against themselves only?"

For example, K vs. K.

I think it would be cool if Pinzers had a 9-turn cooldown ability "devour," which allows them to devour (instant kill) one swarmer at the expense of 5 hit points to themselves. This would allow K vs. K to build other units now, as a pinzer can actually be not only a wall but also now a threat to swarms of swarmers. In addition, now having a garuda in the aerial mix might be good counter to the pinzer, because once the pinzer is brought to low hit points after devour, a garuda may damage it enough to kill it. (avg garuda hit is 2 or possibly 3 with a gangup) The idea behind the "devour" ability is to add more options and variety to the K vs. K matchup strategy.

The hp cost for "devour" could be variable, or maybe it will never bring the pinzer to below 3 hp, or perhaps some other cost like can't move, etc. But the point is it would just mix up K vs. K, add a bit of flavor to it, and allow for other strategies than massing swarmers. It's a rough idea, but I really think it would work. What do you think?

Haven't thought of any ideas for the other races yet, but what does everyone think? Any ideas?

---------------------------------------
MODERATOR has spoken.
[WWW]
[Avatar]
lantry

[Avatar]
lantry

I kinda like the idea of having special abilities against your own race also, but they wouldn't stop it from being a "mirror match". Don't get me wrong, I still think this is a good idea (although your example seems a bit iffy).
[Avatar]
Cpt Hawaiian

[Avatar]
Cpt Hawaiian

lantry wrote: I kinda like the idea of having special abilities against your own race also, but they wouldn't stop it from being a "mirror match". Don't get me wrong, I still think this is a good idea (although your example seems a bit iffy).

I agree it would always still be a mirror match, but just a far more interesting one. Titan vs. titan isn't so bad in my opinion because warp-in risk/reward is very much like chess and can go back and forth. Maybe others find it boring, but i actually like T vs. T because of warp in. But K vs. K is just swarmers, and it is lacking in variety in my opinion. Haven't thought about sapien vs. sapien as much.

Please tell me what about my pinzer idea is iffy and why. I don't mind feedback.
[WWW]
Forum Index » General Discussion