[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
User Generated Maps Should Publish Rated
Forum Index » General Discussion
curmudgeon

curmudgeon

I think that voting maps into rated status will be a real nuisance to the Uniwar community. I imagine everyone will publish at least 1 map and think will naturally want to get it rated as soon as possible. Then the chat room will turn into just a forum for everyone to beg to get their maps rated. Only maps with the best PR campaign will get the rated status and good maps could never get rated.

The next problem is that credits/ turn is just as much of a balancing factor as the terrain. You can take any "fair" map that is currently rated and change the credits to 1,000,000/ turn and Titans will win every time because they can put more money on the map with bases simply being the limiting factor. Take the same map and turn it to 1/ turn and K's will eventually win because they can put more powerful units on the map quicker. I am using extreme examples to just demonstrate my point, but less extreme changes will definitively affect balance.

Having the Uniwar community have to come to a consensus on not only if the terrain of a map is fair, but also if the credits/ turn are fair will take way too long of a time to get new maps out. So long that I think the community will sign off on unfair maps just to get more out there.

Every map should keep the statistics of how popular it is and people should vote on how fair they think it is. But this info should just be used for people to make decisions on whether or not they want to play a rated game on this map, not if they can play a rated game.

I think that all maps should be rated and that it is up to the end user to simply not play maps they don't trust or have don't have good balance/ popularity rating.
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

I think the only way to have a rank system that is somewhat reliable is to encourage random ranked. There should be separate rankings for random ranked play and custom play really – maybe call them "tournament rating" and "elective rating" respectively, or something. We'll know which one matters. I just play random ranked now and I find it more fun anyway because it removes the element of worrying about gaming the system by hosting or joining advantageous matchups (you end up feeling either sleazy by playing advantageous matches or dumb by playing those that aren't.) In random you get your fair share of both and if you can convert your gimmes and win enough upsets you'll move up the ranking over time.

Which is to say – a system which lets players choose whether to play a game as ranked or not only works for custom play, there has to be a better system for admitting a map to real random ranked play. I don't think player voting is great unless it takes into account status of the voters – 1500 players wouldn't have any idea how to evaluate opening balance and just add noise to the system, for example.
Forum Index » General Discussion