[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Increase power of titan's teleport
Forum Index » New Feature Request
[Avatar]
lantry

[Avatar]
lantry

Well, titans are the most defensive race. The main strategy with them (so far as I have seen) is to turtle until you have some walkers built up, then use them to push the opponent back. This strategy makes for a rather boring game, especially for the opponent. However, the devs did acknowledge the fact that titans are so defensive and complimented this with the teleport ability for mechs and eclipses. The tele (in theory, at least) allows titans to push more aggressively, despite the slow move speed of their units. Or it would, if units who were teleported were anything but cannon fodder. As the system currently is, you will lose any unit that you teleport because they are completely defenseless for a turn. Because of this, it is nigh impossible for titans to use them for their intended purpose of making aggressive pushes.

I propose to take away the defenseless turn for teleported units, and treat teleporting as any other move. This would mean that teleporting a unit would be the same as moving it, except that the teleport ability would need to cooldown before it can be used again. Of course, this is slightly too much of a boost, so the stats of tele units might have to take a slight nerf, but I think overall this would improve the aggressive ability of the titans and help rid games of turtling.
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

That would be quite wild. My $.02... each race has a very different style depending on which race it is playing. I greatly prefer matchups involving Titans to Sap-Khral, which sure often has less 'turtling' but is repetitive and tactical back and forth with the same 3-4 unit types total. Hard to call what Titans does vs. Khral turtling even, more like desperately trying to hold a fort together while ants seethe under them, on the edge of disaster every turn – I don't personally find that boring as either race, a big fan really. Titan vs. Sap is also fun but does feel more boring in some cases because Titans dominates in the end. On the positive side, in some ways it really feels like the prototypical Uniwar match to me, as it is the only matchup where you commonly see both sides employing every unit type they have. Titans don't need to turtle exactly here either, as they have less to fear and can take pretty aggressive stances, speeder spam etc., but do advance slowly with walkers – methodically advance and squeeze, sort of a boa constrictor coiling. Sap needs to find a way to make something happen in the opening, and if they can't it definitely feels less fun since you simply feel like there's nothing you can do. However, what you propose is a pretty radical remake of the Titans I suspect, the units would have to be rebalanced significantly and teleporting would become the main attack form, vs. the niche effect it is now (for which there are many excellent uses, btw, and using teleport effectively in the current system is one of the fun things about Titans.)
twilightdusk

twilightdusk

To me, the Teleport ability feels like a way to let bases at the edge of large maps be useful, since you can have the bases make mechas or eclipse, then teleport them near your main force as opposed to taking many more turns marching them over land. It can also be helpful to mass troops at a location in advance of a surprise attack.

I agree that it's suicide to just teleport a unit onto the frontlines, but unless that was the stated purpose of teleport, I don't think that's how you're supposed to use it. In fact, I think the devs made it so that you're disabled for a turn after the teleport specifically to prevent that from happening: imagine how matches would be like if Titans could teleport in a fresh wave of mecha reinforcements every turn while any other race needs to march their units up from their bases to the frontlines.

I should add that the teleport ability also allows for an easy retreat if a unit gets heavily damaged on the frontlines.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 20, 2011 01:55

Forum Index » New Feature Request