[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Map Editor allows neutral bases.
Forum Index » New Feature Request
Which is the most important to be included for the editor on the next update?
Neutral bases 43% [ 3 ]
Testing without publishing 14% [ 1 ]
Deleting published maps 14% [ 1 ]
Rating published maps 14% [ 1 ]
All units addable from editor 0% [ 0 ]
Forced factions on maps 0% [ 0 ]
Single Player / Campaign Creation 14% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7
WyrdNexus

WyrdNexus

Currently the map editor is missing three important features:
1. Neutral bases tool. Planned for next version (YAY, thanks DEVs)
2. Ability to test maps prior to publishing them.
3. Ability for mapCreator to remove published maps.

NEUTRAL BASES
Currently on the roadmap, and planned to be in next release.
Neutral bases are a critical component of creating maps with potential for dynamic gameplay. Please allow them.

The editor did allow creation of maps with neutral bases by making bases for player 5, then setting the map to be 4 players
Unfortunately, the server rejects such maps as "Maps with uncontrolled bases are not allowed."
This no-longer works after recent update.

TESTING
While I wouldnt expect this anytime soon (will probably require some major coding) this is an important feature that should at least be on the roadmap.

REMOVING PUBLISHED MAPS
There are several very good reasons not to do this, but it is an absolute necessity. At the very least, you should allow the creator of a map to mark it for removal. It should stay on the server, but simply no longer appear in the map lists. This alone should be easy to implement, and would help keep the lists free of garbage. It should already be apparent how many useless and duplicated maps are there, partly because publishing is the only way to test, and partly because there is no moderation of published maps.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 21, 2012 13:57

NoahTheDuke

NoahTheDuke

I agree with everything you pointed out. I've already seen v2s and v3s, which can be very bad for a thriving map-making community. Doesn't necessarily equal badness, but when iterating requires multiple copies be available forever, clutter causes problems. Especially when there's no map filtering.
[Avatar]
lantry

[Avatar]
lantry

I didn't pick a single one, because they should all be added. Cmon, you can't add neutral bases? wth were the devs thinking? This should be common sense stuff, it makes it look like they don't test this stuff at all.
WyrdNexus

WyrdNexus

Noah: you're totally right too. That is why I posted. If the map selection get flooded with options, it won't be usable anymore. I think this first step the developers wanted to see everything users were trying to do.

Lantry: I think the developers had it planned all along. Good software development is always in a constant cycle of plan, build, test. Suggestions like this help them decide what to work on next.

All in all it looks like they have a good team of Proggys.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 21, 2012 14:07

[Avatar]
Cpt Hawaiian

[Avatar]
Cpt Hawaiian

Neutral bases are going to be added very shortly!

---------------------------------------
MODERATOR has spoken.
[WWW]
[Avatar]
soupnet

[Avatar]
soupnet

These features are almost identical to the post I made in the WRONG request forum (site feature request). Glad to see I wasn't the only one who picked up on these things.

In addition, the ones I mentioned that weren't listed here were:

- Default to the "move screen" control instead of the "delete stuff" control when opening the editor.
- Editor buttons are difficult to select and overlap each other.
- Ability to save multiple maps
- Collect map statistics (times played per user, times played by all users, win / loss, etc)
- Ability to sort maps by statistics (most popular, highest rated, newest)
- Search map by author (or link from profile to created maps)
- When editing, the map's edge should be the edge of the placed tiles to keep the map automatically centered

I think if we can't test maps, at least we should be able to update them. The junk maps are gonna pile up.

I don't agree with 'all units addable' unless you're planning on making some kind of campaign map, aside from the basic dude, the other units don't have direct equivelants (i.e. one tank does not equal one plasma). I would put single player campaign stuff to the bottom of the heap.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 24, 2012 23:16

[Avatar]
Wrath Of Sid

[Avatar]
Wrath Of Sid

It would be pretty sweet if players could create and upload their own mini campaigns, with mission briefings, specific objectives, only certain units available in missions, etc.

Sanity is for the weak!!!
Forum Index » New Feature Request