[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
OLD POST - Six New Units To Be Created. We Need Your Ideas!
Forum Index » New Feature Request
hydrogen

hydrogen

Dear Uniwarriors,

You heard correctly. Six (maybe 5) new units will be created for uniwar players. Xavi has given me some parameters to follow and im here to share them with you so I can get everyones ideas on the matter.

As far as I understand correctly, the developers want to implement three new sea units and three new air units, respectively, with a credit price range from 100 to 1000. They want to add complexity to sea battles and "more air fight", as xavi put it. That means that titans may be getting their first air unit.

I want all well-thought out ideas. As far as sea units are concerned, I personally believe a submarine type unit for each race is finally in order. I have been thinking alot about the sea units (not so much for air), and what I want to implement is that every "submarine" has the ability to transport ground units AND has one special ability. They are as follows:

Khraleans: Giant Squid- Ability to squirt ink, effecting all six terrain around it. Enemy units cannot see if there are units hiding in the cloud, and their mobility is greatly reduced if they try to pass through it.

Sapiens: Submarine- Ability to lay depth charges underwater, completly undetected, and only ingnites when enemy unit lands directly on bomb. This will deal X amount damage to a single enemy unit.

Titans: Augmenter- Has ability to "ram" enemy units that sits adjacent to it, causing X amount of damage and recieving none. Then this unit will still have option to attack after a ram. Meaning it can move, ram, and then attack.

I am leaving it up to the developers to decide what the cooldown time for each unit should be, and how much damage the special abilities will inflict. After all, they are the ones who have to balance the game

As for air units, the only thing that comes to my mind is adding a sapien jet. It would have crazy good mobility, and be one of the best anti air and sea units. Then the helicopters stats should be changed to better attack ground heavy and light units. (kinda like in real life, where apaches are used to blow up tanks and kill infantry and jets are used to destroy naval ships/helicopters/other jets.

Thank you for reading! I look forward to hearing what you all have to add to the game! And please if you have changes to what I have already entered, feel free to criticize. (and yes, i know that in real life submarines dont generally drop depth charges, so spare me would ya )

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 10, 2016 09:00

AlterSchwede

AlterSchwede

here my first thoughts, when i have more time i may come back and we can dig a little bit more into detail:

1 .similar to the transport ship you mentioned there could be a transport heli. very good mobility, no attack but good defense. special ability to fligh very high for one round -> not attackable

2. Bomber unit: short to middle mobility can drop bombs which damage ... don know... six tiles around the detonation spot. Maybe with a special ability to drop a bio bomb which infects enemy units (like Khal. scorpion)

3. Anti Sea Aircraft: is equipped with torpedos to attack ships from mid to wide range. special ability: kamikaze : can fly into enemy -> forced selfdestruction but huge damage to enemy as well.

hydrogen

hydrogen

you bring up several good ideas AlterSchwede. First of all, im beggining to think that a transporting air unit for all the races would be more beneficial than a transporting sea unit. Many maps simply dont have water.

Also there are two other very good ideas you bring up that i would like to see atleast one. First, is a unit that suicides, and second is a unit that deals splatter damage (damage that effects all units in an area, like UV) but is an actual attack and not a special move requiring cool down.

Keep the genius coming guys.
[Avatar]
Cpt Hawaiian

[Avatar]
Cpt Hawaiian

UBER UNITS:

Since many high level games often end in building up a wall of forces and filling up every tile, I thought it would be cool if there was a higher tier of units, say costing 1000, that are designed to break this stalemate.

SAPIENS: Nuke Cost: 850 Range: 5 hexes.

The nuke is a totally expendable unit. Upon launching, it disappears, but marks the map with where it will land for all to see. (It covers a circle of 7 hexes) when it lands one turn later, it does 10 attack to everything within those 7 hexes. Want to break those front Titan lines? Or decimate that group of swarmers? This may be your best bet.

TITANS: Ultra-Walker Cost: 1000

Take a regular walker and give it 6 range and 12 attack to ground light. (still only 5 vision, though) Now you can really pick off those far off units.

KHRALS: Haven't thought of one yet.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 24, 2012 13:31

---------------------------------------
MODERATOR has spoken.
[WWW]
[Avatar]
lantry

[Avatar]
lantry

Bah Humbug!
:P

I don't think any new air units should be added. I like the "flavor" that having no air units gives to the titans, and I think that the air units are all good with the other races (except heli - they need like one less defence so two garudas can get em instead of three).

I think a new sea unit could be added, because sea battles are usually just slugfests where the winner is whoever pours more credits into sea units. However, I don't think that this new unit should be some sort of submarine thing with all sorts of special abilities. The new unit should be some sort of "cruiser", i.e. a small, fast ship with range of 1 or 2 that can quickly jump in and out of the fray. With the addition of a new unit, the existing ones would also have to be modified.

I know that adding units is exciting and all, but that buzz will quickly wear off if units are hastily added and fit the game poorly as a result. Also, uniwar, as a mobile game, deals with severely limited screen space and should strive to be fairly simple and clean. That said, The area I trust these devs the most is in gameplay, so they should do a pretty good job ;)
hydrogen

hydrogen

We are just throwing out ideas lantry. nothing is for sure. sure their may be alot of hair-brained ideas floating around, but who knows, maybe taking two bad ideas and combining them makes an awesome unit. I, too, somewhat agree that keeping titans grounded is the best course of action. But lets be honest with ourselves. 90 percent of games i play (if not more) never involve titans. thats because on small maps titans generally dont fair well. Perhaps there own aircraft will allow titans to play on maps that before they had no chance of winning. (like rocky, for instance). I say, give them a chance to play with the big boys!

Cpt hawaiian I like the nuke idea, and I like the whole idea of breaking stalemates with uber powerful units/weapons. However, im not to fond of a 6 range walker idea. Walkers are already controversial in this game. people believe there range is too long, and they are too expensive. I simply dont see it being used alot, unless maybe it had splatter damage?

Maybe your nuke could have a nuclear fallout for a turn or two? Causing enemy units to get "radiation sickness" much like a khralean plague. (but non-spread-able)

Keep the ideas coming, i want to hear them all!
AlterSchwede

AlterSchwede

some other ideas came to my mind this morning:

1. Sea unit which can build a mobile base when in contact with the coast (no income just able to build infantry units on this base, planting the base should cost a turn). Unit must stay in contact with the base otherwise the base is destroyed. Maybe make the base itself attackable as well. If the seaunit dies the base dies as well.

2. Hybrid unit! a sea unit which can move to solid ground. May be it should cost one turn for the landing maneuver.
It maybe a fast unit on water but a (very) slow unit on land.

3. Air support unit. all frindly units within, lets say, two tiles become +1 Attack +1 Defense because of suppression fire of the support unit

[Avatar]
rwieczor84

[Avatar]
rwieczor84

I got idea for Khral unite, a Big Crocodail: he can walk through land (slow) and swim i na a water (faster). 1 range attack, statistics to discussion.
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

I'm mostly with lantry on this , but here's a first quick stab at ideas. This of course will take a ton of time and testing to actually land. New naval should be easier to add than new aerial. These suggestions might be slightly more sedate than some of the other thoughts, and a bit of a different direction than your initial thoughts hydrogen, but generally useful and fun units with game balance in mind, explanations inline. I think troop-carrying naval is interesting, that could be added to all naval I think independently of units (perhaps all naval get a 'carrying capacity' value, and load/unload actions.)

Naval:
Sapiens: Submarine (). It'll surface and fire cruise missiles vs. torpedoes so that it can harass a bit from the coast as well. Cost 350, mobility 9/6, attack range 1-2, GL 7, GH 8, AER 0, AQU 12, Def 7, Vis 4/2, heal 1. Submerge/Resurface and detection rules same as underlings, +4 resurface attack bonus. Good for hunting hydronauts in particular, to which they can deliver 8 damage on resurface from range 1, also reasonable for hunting skimmers and kraken or finishing other heavy naval.

Titans: Skimmer. Cost 300, mobility 12, range 1, GL 10, GH 5, AER 10, AQU 10, Def 9, Vis 6, heal 2. Move after attack (6). A water speeder with good anti-air, useful in particular for harrying Garuda and Helis on the water. Can gang up on heavy naval as well but is outranged by them and takes significant damage – more of a finisher. Could give it a special ability 'depth charge', in which it is able to make an attack against a submarine directly beneath it (but will only know if it hit anything if the 'units killed' count increases), recharge 5 rounds.

Khraleans: Kraken. Cost 400, mobility 9, range 1, GL 12, GH 10, AER 5, AQU 13, Def 15, Vis 4, heal 3. Special ability: Rage, simultaneously attacks all neighboring hexes with +2 attack (but takes damage from all of them), recharge 4 rounds and can trigger after move; it's tentacles flail out to do this, think watcher in the water (make marines cautious near the lake.) Generally a tough water tank against other naval (though badly outranged by the heavy naval).

(Although I like the crocodile as well, conceptually.)

Aerial:
S apiens: Bomber. Cost 550, mobility 15, range 1-2, GL 6, GH 12, AER 5, AQU 12, Def 7, Vis 6, heal 1. A high-speed bunker/plasma/walker busting unit, just what Central Command called for in the toaster wars.

Titans: Drone. Cost 300, mobility 9, range 1, GL 10, GH 3, AER 6, AQU 6, Def 8, Vis 6, heal 2. Good for hunting underlings and swarmers, which alone should have a significant impact on khral-titan. Generally useful but not imbalancing otherwise, hopefully helps mitigate Titan pain on maps with significant terrain constraints but not in a dramatic way (e.g. not great against massed marines on mountain/forest, but more usable there than a speeder or plasma).

Khraleans: Hiver. Sort of a mass of small three-eyed heads and wings (haunts the nightmares of men). Cost 450, mobility 9, range 1, GL 13, GH 6, AER 6, AQU 7, Def 11, Vis 5, heal 2. Special ability: Fume, does 4 damage to all marines within a 2 hex radius, recharge 10 rounds and can trigger after move.
[Avatar]
Paul5678

[Avatar]
Paul5678

I think it would be a good idea to add an option in the game creation screen for "Classic units only".

[Avatar]
nfong

[Avatar]
nfong

A krahl air unit that costs 1000 credits and spews out a swarmer every 2-3 turns. Won't be able to attack, has decent-to-low defense, and low mobility. Sorta like a flying hive I guess, and only one of these guys can be on the field for the player at any time.
My idea is probably imba as hell right now but you get the gist of it.

For titans, I would like to see an air unit that is purely an anti-air "siege" unit (no ground attack, probably around 2-4 range), and can detect where buried lings are. Eclipse would probably need a nerf though if this was added.

Saps - I dunno

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 25, 2012 13:39

When life gives you lemons...

"TAKE YOUR DAMN LEMONS BACK, LIFE. I DON'T WANT YOUR STINKIN' LEMONS."
kurtonius

kurtonius

Fantastic ideas everyone. All are interesting and expanding the game in any way is exciting. I'm relatively new to Uniwar but I've got a lot of board game experience. Here is my two cents:

Keep the Titans on the ground and in the water. Having the armies more unique makes them more interesting. However, give them the tools to compete. Pulling some ideas from Star Trek/Star Wars, I would throw the idea of tractor beams (to freeze opposing units or move them by a hex), force fields (to protect units or multiple units), and/or cloaking devices (invisiblity).

For the Sapiens I have two suggestions, Hovercraft and a Navy Seal Team RHIB (rigid hull inflatable boat). Hovercraft wold be limited to flat ground and water hexes. The seal team can change from a boat on the water to a sniper or a jeep on land.

The Khraleans are a fun army with so many possible units... Being a Kharalean player I miss having long range attack (greater than 3 hexes) so I'm going to suggest an Electric Eel or a Fire Breathing Dragon. Either that or have a unit that can change its appearance to mimic other units (starts off looking like a Gecko). This way it can either slip in the back door looking like an Underling or pose as a big threat to draw attention (like a Wrym). Once enemy units get beside it (or one hex away) they will see the gecko. The Gecko is amphibious...

Right now I'm loving this game. In fact I've deleted all the other crap I was playing on my iphone... Keep it up.
[Avatar]
Cpt Hawaiian

[Avatar]
Cpt Hawaiian

kurtonius wrote:
Keep the Titans on the ground and in the water. Having the armies more unique makes them more interesting. However, give them the tools to compete. Pulling some ideas from Star Trek/Star Wars, I would throw the idea of tractor beams (to freeze opposing units or move them by a hex), force fields (to protect units or multiple units), and/or cloaking devices (invisiblity).

For the Sapiens I have two suggestions, Hovercraft and a Navy Seal Team RHIB (rigid hull inflatable boat). Hovercraft wold be limited to flat ground and water hexes. The seal team can change from a boat on the water to a sniper or a jeep on land.

The Khraleans are a fun army with so many possible units... Being a Kharalean player I miss having long range attack (greater than 3 hexes) so I'm going to suggest an Electric Eel or a Fire Breathing Dragon. Either that or have a unit that can change its appearance to mimic other units (starts off looking like a Gecko). This way it can either slip in the back door looking like an Underling or pose as a big threat to draw attention (like a Wrym). Once enemy units get beside it (or one hex away) they will see the gecko. The Gecko is amphibious...

Very interesting ideas! I like the uniqueness. I have to say, a Khralean "faker" unit would really cause headaches for us credit counters and make it even harder to play against khrals. Especially if you sacrifice a good unit to kill the faker. (i.e. sacrifice an eclipse at 400 credits to kill what you thought was a wyrm, only to find it was the gecko that only costed 200 credits or something)

The unit spawning thing i sort of like, but what if it spewed out half-strength units instead? I can see any khral buying this unit far behind lines and just getting free units from it almost like a free base. I like the concept though. A lot of players don't understand the power of overwhelming a map with cheap units.

How about a Khralean unit that can infest enemy units

MODERATOR has spoken.
[WWW]
[Avatar]
rwieczor84

[Avatar]
rwieczor84

nice idea with khral unit against marines. It could fix balance problems.
The same should goes with Sapiens Air unit (good Heavy attack or fix Heli GH statistic and creat new fast air unit against GL units).
For titans something against buried underlings? Maybe one unit which can't be attack with resurface?
[Avatar]
Cpt Hawaiian

[Avatar]
Cpt Hawaiian

rwieczor84 wrote: nice idea with khral unit against marines. It could fix balance problems.
The same should goes with Sapiens Air unit (good Heavy attack or fix Heli GH statistic and creat new fast air unit against GL units).
For titans something against buried underlings? Maybe one unit which can't be attack with resurface?

Yes, a khral unit that helps fight mass marines would be good since currently they only have the infestor to try and fight it. (and the pinzer, but even a pinzer can be downed by too many choppers) And even swarmers can be downed by a couple marines. With just a bit less marine support, it's a lot easier for garudas to fly in and down some choppers.

I had another idea I think would be great for an already existing unit, the Maurader. A cool down ability called "SPEED BOOST" that allows the marauder for that turn to not be affected by any zone control. In other words, want to get around that plasma tank at the choke point? activate speed boost and go around any units for a whole turn. (2 turns since it moves twice) This would make it harder for titans to turtle. It also is a cool concept of this speedy little attack unit going commando straight through the lines on a very likely suicide mission. Also, they could escape some situations with this ability.

MODERATOR has spoken.
[WWW]
Forum Index » New Feature Request