[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Your favorite race... and why
Forum Index » General Discussion
[Avatar]
droidfreak36

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

I know most of you have a favorite race, so this topic provides a place where you can discus which race you like the best and the reason why you like it. Please include specifics such as units you like the best, strategies you use with that race, etc. To get things started, here's mine:

Favorite race: Khraleans

Why: It's not because I like bugs better than robots or humans, in fact I build robots myself, but the Khraleans have better units than the other races:

Underling: It's fast and it can get epic bonuses when popping up from underground. I don't often use buried underlings, but they are the icing on the cake, so to speak.
Infector: Though the infector costs more than other non-combat units and isn't great at infecting/plaguing Sapiens, the *3 heal bonus is priceless. Move two of these next to any unit and they can heal from 1 to 10 in a single turn.
Swarmer: The ability to attack units at a range of two is never to be underestimated. Of the 18 non-aquatic units in the game, only 3 can fight at that range, meaning Swarmer almost always can deal damage without facing counterattacks. It is great at destroying light units, especially when you swarm them, which is often possible due to the low price.
Garuda: It's almost as good against air units as the Helicopter, but it costs significantly less. It's also great for defense because of the +2 heal (+6 with an Infector).
Pinzer: It's virtually impossible to kill due to high defense and +2 heal (+6 with an Infector), and it has good attack against ground and sea units. It's great for defense, but I usually use Swarmer and Wyrm for offense.
Wyrm: This unit is just an epic win. It can attack after moving, giving it an advantage over Titan and Sapien artillery, and it is strong against all units. It also has the advantage of being able to fight at close range (unlike other artillery), so it can defend itself well against close range attacks. Although it has low range compared to other artillery units, its attack after move ability allows it to easily close the distance, sometimes moving so close the enemy artillery can't hit it.
Leviathan: I admit that this unit is a bit lame, with less move and attack than the Destroyer and lower range than the the Hydronaut, but it is cheaper, which basically makes up for that fact and leaves it pretty much balanced with the others.

DroidFreak, the roboticist who plays as Khrals.

(Or Titans now that I realize how legit they are)
[WWW]
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

...and yet they generally all end up cowering in chittering terror before the mighty heli. having your main ground light unit completely unable to attack those god-like creatures in the sky does hurt a bit.

Titans – because eclipses (obviously), speeders are handy, UV is fun, and if the dust clears and The Walker Still Stands, your civilization is over. (Cockroaches are particularly tough to stamp out, though.)
[Avatar]
droidfreak36

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

waxoid: That (underlings having no anti-air) is part of the reason why I don't use them much. I mostly just use them to capture bases, so they usually don't face much opposition. Khraleans can easily take out Helis if they use multiple Garudas (which are weaker but cheaper) or Wyrms (which pretty much pwn Helis at long range). The trick is using Swarmers (or other anti-light units) to strip off the Marine shield before you send in the anti-air units.

I agree that Eclipses are nice, they sure wreak havoc on Swarmers and Garudas. I've found that the UV is pretty useless unless you have a ton of assimilators, but it can give you a slight advantage. Walkers are great because of the massive range, but they cost so much that it's a bit tough to build both Walkers and the units to protect them from enemy attacks. If the Khralean player plays it right, the Titans usually wont have time to get a good defense built before the wasps and snakes come swarming in.

By the way, I got my web proxy fixed. Wanna play me as Titans vs Khraleans? My bugs are ready to melt some metal.

DroidFreak, the roboticist who plays as Khrals.

(Or Titans now that I realize how legit they are)
[WWW]
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

Turns out there's no "easily" to Khraleans taking out marines and helis. But you're right, they can make it tough to stand up walkers (you'll find your underlings much more useful there.)

I'm not playing games at the moment, too much work, but I hope to carve out time when uniwar HD is out. Go join a dozen games and start building that ranking up.
Forum Index » General Discussion