[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Units leveling up to 11/12 HP?
Forum Index » General Discussion
starik

starik

Occasionally your units will receive a bonus to their max HP, allowing for 11 or 12 hitpoints and putting 1 or 2 chevrons (^) above their heads. This seems to occur randomly. I was wondering if there was a way to predict when this will happen, or if it is truly random.
[Avatar]
rwieczor84

[Avatar]
rwieczor84

it depends on value of killed unit. Your troop gains exp for killing and at some point (somewhere about 3x his own credit cost) it gets ^.
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

This is one gameplay detail I don't fully understand, what is the exact algorithm for level up? Maybe it's 2x, because it seems like a surfacing ant 1-hit killing an assimilator always gets a level up? Haven't experimented.

It's not a big game effect. I did have one multi-player game where I had a ton of batteries and the others kept throwing units against them. By the time the bulk of them were all 12s it was pretty nice.
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

a 11 walker can 1shot a swarmer, and a 12 walker often does... and that is pretty good..

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
[Avatar]
Wrath Of Sid

[Avatar]
Wrath Of Sid

That's one thing I don't quite get either. What are the effects of the level up bonus? Is it just health or damage and defence as well?

Sanity is for the weak!!!
Unimarobj

Unimarobj

Wrath Of Sid wrote: That's one thing I don't quite get either. What are the effects of the level up bonus? Is it just health or damage and defence as well?

The amount of HP your unit has determines how much damage they deal. 10 = 100% of your attack score, for example (no, I'm not sure if that means that 5hp = 50%...but I imagine so). So if a unit is able to exceed 100% hp to 11 or 12, they can deal much more damage. Kralux explained it to me when I first saw it close to when the game first came out. I'd just invite the dev to a game to ask them a question specifically.

But I'll set up a game with a friend and experiment.
starik

starik

Unimarobj is right on. If your unit has 5 hp, it does 50% damage. If your unit has 2^^'s, it can heal up to 12 hp. At 12 hp, a unit does 120% damage. ^'s have no effect on defense.

To clarify: The damage a unit does is directly proportional to its HP. And HP has no effect on defense. See the attack calculation sticky for details.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 16, 2012 23:58

Ben411

Ben411

Damage increases with the amount of health a unit has, but they can also survive for longer with more health
[Avatar]
droidfreak36

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

Yes, health determines damage (via the damage formula) and how long your unit lasts. It doesn't determine defense, but it obviously increases the damage your unit can take before dying.

DroidFreak, the roboticist who plays as Khrals.

(Or Titans now that I realize how legit they are)
[WWW]
[Avatar]
lantry

[Avatar]
lantry

You guys are spot on in how the extra health affects damage and defence. As for acquiring this extra hp, each unit has it's own kill count, and it gets a certain amount of "experience" for killing enemy units. The amount of experience gained for each kill is directly proportional to the cost of the unit being killed, iirc, so a plasma tank killing a marine gets 100 xp, and a marine killing a plasma tank gets 500 xp. Note that only the unit which actually deals the final blow gets the xp. Once a unit has enough xp, it will "level up". The amount of xp needed to level up is proportional to the cost of the unit. For example, a marine (cost of 100) only requires a few hundred xp to level up, whereas a plasma tank (cost of 500) needs much more xp before it will level up. I am not sure of the exact values, but I believe the amount needed to level up is somewhere between 3 and 5 times the unit's cost.

Short answer: the amount of xp awarded for a kill is the cost of the unit that was killed. the amount of xp needed to level up is proportional (around 3 to 5 times) to the cost of the leveling unit.
foinil

foinil

Amount xp gained is based on how expensive a killed unit is multiplied by the damage done on the killing blow (hp before death). So high xp when killing expensive unit or lots of damage in killing hit.

Veterancy level 1 (11hp) requires xp equal to the unit cost. Eg. marine requires 100xp and walker requires 700xp.

Veterancy level 2 (12hp) requires xp equal to double the unit cost. Eg. marine requires 200xp, and walker requires 1400xp.

Formula:
<XP gained via a killing hit> = <killed unit cost> X <killing damage done (hp before death)> / 10.

Eg. A marine killing a walker at 3 hp would gain 700x3/10=210xp giving it veterancy level 2 immediately. A mantisse killing a skimmer at 6 hp would get 450x6/10=270xp giving it level 1 veterancy immediately.

Required xp to level up and xp gained so far can be viewed when you click on a unit. If it is not shown, no xp has been gained yet for that unit.
Forum Index » General Discussion