[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Marauder Rush
Forum Index » Sapiens
[Avatar]
Wrath Of Sid

[Avatar]
Wrath Of Sid

Suffice to say, the number of times I have had my ass pounded by an early game marauder rush is stupidly large (mostly by playing Khraleans)

So my question is - How do Khraleans defend against an early game Marauder rush? My units are too slow to catch the damn things. They can just skip in, shoot up my Underlings and Swarmers and run away to a bunch of Engineers for repairs. Sure, I'll get them eventually, but by then the enemy has more bases than me and it's all downhill from there.

Sanity is for the weak!!!
[Avatar]
droidfreak36

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

Basically the answer to your dilemma is Pinzers. Pinzers obviously outclass marauders based on sheer attack and defense, so even with two marauders to every Pinzer you'll pwn them easily. The one downside to Pinzers vs Saps is that they are rather useless vs Helis, but that's another issue.

DroidFreak, the roboticist who plays as Khrals.

(Or Titans now that I realize how legit they are)
[WWW]
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

It depends somewhat on map but yes, especially if there are pinch points filling those with pinzers is a straightforward approach. If Sapien has invested in a few marauders your investment in one pinzer isn't too much of a liabiilty – an answer to the marauders, but also useful against marines and only a bit vulnerable to helis (once you have an infector you can heal +6 and the pinzer is very hard to kill). You can also use underlings (where there is forest/mountain), Swarmers and Garuda as part of a marauder defense plan. This is one reason you may need to pressure Sapiens early on some maps – marauder packs are one of the tougher Sapien tactics to defend against (for anyone) if you let them get going.
[Avatar]
Wrath Of Sid

[Avatar]
Wrath Of Sid

I'm talking about maps like Desolate where the Marauders have a lot of room to move around. Then they can just avoid my one Pinzer.

Sanity is for the weak!!!
[Avatar]
Cpt Hawaiian

[Avatar]
Cpt Hawaiian

Just remember that two marauders cost 500 credits while a pinzer costs 450. So, if it gets too crazy with marauders everywhere, you can have 1 pinzer for every two marauders if you really have to and still be saving more credits. Really, a pinzer and just one or two underlings can rip a marauder to pieces.

---------------------------------------
MODERATOR has spoken.
[WWW]
J.C.

J.C.

Yeah cpt Hawaiian is right.

For what concerns Desolate, i think that sapiens are advantaged very much, especially if they are blue player.

Generally, Blue saps wins on Desolate, but i could even be wrong.

Test my maps:
1-on-1
ColdestPlace - Tiny Desert - SkyAndSand

3-on-3
DeadFlower
David

4-on-4
BasesGaloreXL6
BasesGaloreXL7
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

I'd be surprised if Khral can't withstand marauder rush on Desolate, but maybe it is challenging vs. blue saps. Pinzers can patrol a decent amount of the river and protect the two bases pretty well, and other units like ants, swarmers or garuda spaced along the river can prevent marauders from crossing. If they are reduced to attacking from swamp the marauder pack is much less dangerous.

The flip side of the open terrain is that while it helps marauders somewhat, marines are less effective, so the usual marine-heli play is much harder to pull off. One of the reasons why I like Desolate – it is sharp, ruled by base threats, and seems relatively balanced for sap-khral and khral-titans (vs. other maps). Titans-Sap doesn't seem very balanced, but I haven't had a chance to play against a very top sap player so maybe I would be surprised (you have to think the possibility for good sap play is there given the proximity of the bases, marauder maneuverability etc., but the base proximity has some advantages for Titans like making plasma tanks immediately dangerous.)
Forum Index » Sapiens