[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Skipping etiquette
Forum Index » General Discussion
capncristo

capncristo

I wanted to hear your thoughts on turn skipping.

I've been literally obsessed with this game for the last 4-5 months.

One phenomenon that I just don't understand, however, is when people complain about getting skipped in matches.

Turn limits are clearly posted/displayed on each game, each player agrees to abide by these limits when joining each game. Et very so often, a player misses his turn, gets skipped, then belatedly comes back and whines in the game's general chat.

I'd hate to take an unfair advantage - I play this game because I enjoy the competition - but at the same time, it seems selfish to expect multiple opponents to wait on you when you've exceeded your agreed-upon turn length.

Am I missing something? What's the UniWar community's perspective?

Thanks.
cogger

cogger

It really depends on the player. I will not hesitate to skip a player usually. I figure that when they join, they understand the time limit. However, if its someone ive met in the game before, talked to a lot, and know they will return, i will let them take their turn well beyond the time limit. I also allow extra time for unrated games, unfair advantages dont really matter when no points are at stake
thrust

thrust

I would say it depends on how good a game it is
Austinite

Austinite

I totally agree with you, capncristo. I was in an 8-player game recently but had to leave the country before it ended. I made a point to find an internet cafe every day just so I could take my turns (the turn limit was 1 day). After I got back, one of the opposing players took more than 1 day to move, so we skipped him. He got so pissed off and whined that this was "unheard of" and "disrespectful" among highly ranked players (all players were > 2000). I think it's equally (if not more) disrespectful to cause 7 other highly ranked players to wait on you for over 1 day. The turn limits are very clearly posted before you join a game. Am I missing something?
[Avatar]
rwieczor84

[Avatar]
rwieczor84

i play uniwar for fun, sometimes you get situation when you cannot login within 24h. Then someone skipps your turn and whole game is lost...
If i see that player play actively and at some point he didn't logged in 24h i wait for him to end the game fairly. Of course i don't wait infinitely but 2-3 days i can wait playing other 19 games in the meantime. Nothing wrong will not happen if you wait 1 day for someone. Maybe he got problems?
Rules are rules but sometimes you should be patient
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

Yep, agreed it is disrespectful to not play on time, but you have to consider how often it happens, and decide how to work with the player in question (or avoid him/her in the future). If someone is doing it regularly and ignoring requests from other players they just may need to be booted. But rwieczor has the heart of it – in general skipping anyone's turn undermines the whole game, which everyone has invested time in. That player's position may be lost instantly, rendering all earlier effort moot. That player may now quit, further undermining the game. The winners now lose any pleasure in the victory – they won merely because they skipped someone, woohoo. It's just ultimately a bigger waste of everyone's time than the original infraction, and makes the whole scene less fun. Would you do this in a board game that you were hours into with your friends, and where a single missed move may well be fatal? (don't answer that...)

If someone expires on me I usually type in chat something like "yellow, are you coming back or should we skip you?" and when they come back they usually apologize and play better, at least for a bit.

The worst is skipping if it is an exceptional event and the player has asked ahead of time. I went camping once with my family where there was no signal, just for the weekend. I'm generally a very fast player, but I notified in advance that I was going to miss my move over the weekend. Still got skipped, by some player pointing to the letter of the law and defending the petty right to try to improve his position via skipping. No respect for you. I survived and switched direction to make sure I eliminated that guy first.
boourns

boourns

I do if it is an early turn that wont determine the match, or late turn in which we are just building armies. Anything else is a judgement call. You are basically ruining the match, so if it was a crappy one anyway or you were sure to win than I will most likely skip. If it is a fun game which can go either way I will wait.
argon steele

argon steele

Ha, I love to skip people! Like I said elsewhere, I don't take the ratings too seriously, it goes up, it goes down. If you're really good, it slowly builds up. Skipping people is just another strategy! When joining a rated game, one should consider your time commitment, just like you consider your army choice.

Now I'm sure everyone is going to be out to get me, well bring it on, fools!
Forum Index » General Discussion