[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
PLEASE replace the end turn timeout
Forum Index » General Discussion
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

...with a confirmation prompt.

It's really very painful to accidentally end your turn. Tonight, when I put my phone down, the edge of my finger somehow brushed the corner of the screen near that button, and I watched out of the corner of my eye as the 3-second timeout ended and the screen went grey. This in a massive team game, I lose two base captures that now may not happen and let down teammates. The course of the game is changed, previous investment in time may be rendered moot, and it's not a lot of fun. The worst part is it feels really unnecessary.

Ideally, if you click end turn, you would just get a yes/no confirmation, with the screen going grey/red/blue or somethign so it's difficult not to notice what's happening. I don't understand the point of the automatic 3 second timeout. If there are players who currently rely on this, i.e. they *prefer* to hit end turn and then watch the 3 second timer run down, they will have to retrain themselves to hit 'end' then 'yes', it's true – but that will actually be faster for them once they get used to it. However I'm not really sure there is anyone who likes to watch that run down – normally, I hit end and then immediately the confirmation check, so this would be no change for me and I would guess most players. If the 3 seconds is supposed to give you a chance to save yourself it doesn't really work. If you've hit it accidentally you're not thinking about the UI at all, you're thinking about your move (if you are even looking at the screen). It would be more noticeable if the whole screen turned red so you wouldn't have to catch some small text countdown, and had a big button to cancel that you didn't have to fumble to find in a panic. But really it should just go away. Countdown timers are for bombs, which I think is the wrong paradigm to model UI after!

Please, take the "defuse the bomb" microgame away. Thank you for listening.
[Avatar]
xavi

[Avatar]
xavi

We will take that into consideration. Thank you for the submission.

-= The UniWar Team =-
[Email]
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

thanks Xavi. Such details of course do not mar my overall love for the game. If I have positions open a lot before I move it's because I enjoy pulling apart the puzzle of all the different options so much.

Thanks for listening, appreciate it. I feel better today, sleep helped.
starik

starik

This is a very good idea. Will help polish the game. The timer thing really didn't make sense (not a big deal, don't take it personally).
[Avatar]
yemrot

[Avatar]
yemrot

I agree, but im glad there is at least something in place in case you accidently hit the end turn button, you can cancel.but i like the idea of a confirm button better than timer
[Avatar]
Monkey Borg

[Avatar]
Monkey Borg

I DESPISE the end turn button/timeout and the menu layout SO MUCH that I downgraded my rating of uniwar in the android market and I play most of my moves in airplane mode because it's far too easy to end a turn by mistake. especially now that the zoom map button is right next to the end turn button! it's horrible in usability terms!

I also frequently want to switch between games and the menu layout is is terribly cumbersome, either throwing me into the MAP EDITOR if i double press on "main lobby" or ENDING MY TURN, if tapping main lobby didn't register and i move to the top menu item. The menu layout is the opposite of idiot proof...

specific change requests:

1) move ZOOM and STOP to different corners. one goes to upper left.

2) change END TURN behavior (perhaps via settings) to be more idiot proof... perhaps to demand confirmation when you have unmoved pieces, perhaps...

3) rearrange menus to be less error-prone:

PAUSE MENU: MAIN LOBBY, REFRESH, NEXT GAME, GAME OPTIONS, SETTINGS

MAIN LOBBY: CURRENT GAMES (same location as main lobby button in pause menu), START NEW GAME, CHALLENGE FRIEND (maybe move it into community), MAP EDITOR, HEADQUARTERS, COMMUNITY

this puts the most frequent actions at the top and bottom of the menus, with a double-tap on the pause menu's main lobby button doing the most-frequent action in the main lobby instead of the least frequent.
truppo

truppo

Agreed. Also, make the confirmation step to be like the unlock-slider on iPhone (or similar). That way there should be no way to accidentally end your turn (which has happened lots of times for me!).
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

Ugh, happened this morning, on what was going to be a fun move in a big game. It's so so painful. In good news I didn't throw the phone this time. Just sad when a game you've invested weeks in just vaporizes like that, never to be the game it was.

*So* awesome to see all the development in the game happening xavi. Just wanted to pop this request to the top.
[Avatar]
rwieczor84

[Avatar]
rwieczor84

I join the request. Please change it.
[Avatar]
xavi

[Avatar]
xavi

In the upcoming v1.7.0 menu are slightly different. We have not yet changed the END TURN button but i will organize a poll on it

-= The UniWar Team =-
[Email]
[Avatar]
xavi

[Avatar]
xavi

This has been fixed in v1.7

-= The UniWar Team =-
[Email]
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]