[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Khrals v Titans - What Units?
Forum Index » Khraleans
peacemonger

peacemonger

I've been reading on here that on most maps, Khrals have the advantage vs. Titans. Granted I'm a noob, but I can't seem to win vs. saps or titans with khrals.

My basic strategy is to make underlings for the first round or two, bury most and then try to counter what the opponent makes. Get underlings to his side for surprise attacks vs. walkers or assimilators (but making sure to destroy assimilators fully). But I can't seem to counter speeders or eclipses...the speeders cover a ton of ground, will waste my underlings...I really need a pincer to beat it, but they are 200 credits more than speeders. Same with the Eclipse...it will destroy my garudas and swarmers and I need a pincer to beat it.

Do I need to bring a wyrm out early? What are the counters to speeders and eclipses?
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

Pinzers cost more but you don't need many, depending on terrain/base placement a single pinzer may give ample room for ants and swarmers (and infectors and wyrms) to play behind/around it. Both ants (ganging up or popping up) and swarmers can hit speeders pretty hard – swarmers generally do 3 damage (more if speeder is on base or bad terrain) without taking any damage in return, so speeders have to respect that, and swarmers can lurk over terrain that is hard to get to.

Eclipses I like hunting with wyrms, but pinzers certainly work fine too, combining with buried ants again as well wherever you can (prefer popping ants against eclipses than speeders in general, but of course watch assimilation and you should do it where you are sustaining pressure, not just as a potshot). I'm more likely to bring out a wyrm earlier vs. eclipses than vs. speeders, but you generally want some ants and swarmers in place to protect of course.

You can do reasonably well just with ants, swarmers and wyrms against speeder + eclipse builds (ants help protect wyrms, wyrms hunt eclipses first), but these days I generally just pull out the pinzy. A hard rushing pinzer often forces Titans to build plasma, which consumes valuable credits, and with wyrm and/or infector behind pinzer the plasma becomes vulnerable.

Generally Titans are tougher against Khral where the terrain is open and all their tanks can cover ground faster (and take no combat penalties). And speeders are always tough.

Based on what you write, you may be wasting your early ants if you are sending them wandering underground into deep enemy territory. You want pressure on Titans every turn. As long as you are rolling out ants and swarmers you'll be set up to attack a walker if it appears, but in early game if you bury ants you're trying to lay traps for early Titan builds like speeders and eclipse, so you can ambush with ants and swarmers and win material. So they don't necessarily need to wander far. Units that are underground are essentially wasted units if they are stuck being useless underground, not blocking or attacking anything. Early game you want to create pressure and capture space – force Titans to play backed up against bases if you can. Then you start positioning swarmers in range of hitting a walker as soon as it is built. That pressure you put on them is going to be much more intense where you can aim a rushing pinzer or press a wyrm on them.
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

One other comment: as a beginner, when you hear people say 'this race beats that race' you can mostly ignore it. Game skill will 100% determine game outcomes for a very long time. The game is pretty balanced. There are definitely techniques that need to be learned for each race vs. each other race.

That is to say, Titans are strong. There is no shame in assimilation. Think of it as being incorporated into something much greater than what your biological conciousness can process on its own.
butz

butz

Ants.

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

Ants alone don't work well against Speeders and Eclipses. Against Titans it never hurts to roll out a Pinzer or two, because Pinzers are strong vs all Titan units. Wyrms are great too, take advantage of the fact that they are cheaper and more versatile than Walkers are.

DroidFreak, the roboticist who plays as Khrals.

(Or Titans now that I realize how legit they are)
[WWW]
butz

butz

true true, most khral units are effective against titans, which makes this match up more lopsided than say a titans vs sapiens or sapiens vs khrals match up.
Forum Index » Khraleans