[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Canceling and/or redoing an entire turn
Forum Index » New Feature Request
Evil Jet

Evil Jet

Very odd request you might say..

I believe the game would be balanced further if you allowed people to completely redo their turns as one of the options in the Uniwar game.

The reason I request this feature is not to destroy the fog of war concept, or the sneaky nature of some strategies, it is because there are regular players that already take advantage of this "turn reset", leaving those that do not know how to do it in the dark and unfairly final in each of their choices.

I am somewhat torn as to revealing the ways in which you can reset your turn on purpose, but it makes no sense to me that a group of people can, while others unknowingly cannot.

I was told about one of these methods while in a public game by a teammate I had never met before.

I think it's time to even the playing field.

I will be happy to amend this post with "turn reset" methods if the community would like.

Despite the nature and fun factor of not knowing what's going on in the battle it is of little consequence in the grand scheme of things to lose the current feature existing in the game today.

In large maps you will have full visibility quite early on, and the advantage given in smaller maps would fade away and be traded in pure set up skill.

Please let me know,

-Evil

[Avatar]
lantry

[Avatar]
lantry

It's true that if you have not yet submitted your turn with the end turn button that you can "reset" your turn and do everything over again. One of the advantages to doing this is that you can send units far out to scout the enemy, then retract the moves and put them in proper fighting positions.
I can't speak for Android, but on iOS it is possible (with some small difficulty) on all devices and very easy on jailbroken devices.

Yes, a possible solution to this kind of cheating is to remove the advantage it offers by giving that ability to everyone. However, I don't think that's the best solution in this case. The best thing to do, IMO, is to combat the cheating. For example, you could have the game synchronize it's state with the server every minute or so, or after every time the user moves a piece. This would reliably stop the cheating as long as they play while connected to the internet. If they get the game's state from the server and then disconnect themselves (even unintentionally) from the internet, the game state would only be saved on the device and could easily be reset. This is easily solved by requiring an internet connection just to move a piece, and having the game wait for confirmation from the server before revealing the new line of sight or assigning damage. A constant connection isn't that much to require for a mobile game which needs internet to load anyway.

TLDR: In this case, it is better and easier to combat the cheating than to remove the opportunity for cheating. You are right, however, that it isn't fair for some players to be able to do this and not others. So, if the devs don't fix this soon (or tell us that it's coming in an update) I'll post here again with instructions on how to reset your turn.
[Avatar]
talone

[Avatar]
talone

reset turn should not be easy to not be often. So, no special "redo" button!

Who loves UniWar and wants seriously study the UniWar secrets and tactics - email me
[WWW]
evgen

evgen

I think you can use the commit system.

If you see a new unit, or hit someone else is going on autocommit, and roll back is impossible.

But if there was no irreversible action such as a note to repair or put the unit a bit different possible

as base may get westnoth system

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 12, 2012 02:49

[Avatar]
Toss

[Avatar]
Toss

Ow dudah!
So.. If 25% of people all over the world are downloading EVERYTHING for free from internet, and 5% of people are stealing cars/electronics/candies etc. instead of buying them.. so we should also steal, because some of people are doing so?
Of course this isn't connected to the UniWar problem, but goddammit! Instead of making all people restart their turn.. do something to block those who are doing so.
[Avatar]
Fool

[Avatar]
Fool

Wow... I didn't know people do this... Its sort of disappointing.

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."
herompolbu

herompolbu

The only way is to create a browser version of uniwar.
When each move will be a separate request to server. So server will have total control on game. And all games will be fair ))
I'll be the first to buy a browser uniwar.
Forum Index » New Feature Request