[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Casual tourney 2 - round 1 JB-- vs. waxoid
Forum Index » Tournaments
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

So remember I'm taking shots after my moves. So in game 1, where round 18 is about to be played, JB-- gets a move and finishes my walker and completes the final capture. Although I completed captures in round 17, I left two speeders alive. JB-- still gets a futile move, and the game ends immediately after, also getting scored as ending in round 18, athough I don't get to make an 18th move to finish off his speeders in the way he got to finish off my walker. This is an interesting wrinkle for our tiebreaker. Fortunately for me the material spread was large enough that the 500cr in remaining speeders didn't end up being decisive; the final material counts were 4900/2050 for JB-- and 4250/1050 for me.

So I advance, but the matches certainly felt more like an even trade than a victory, as I'm sure is clear. My mistake was one of space, and JB--'s mistake was one of material, and given time ended up being a wash, winning on material turns out to be better for the tiebreaker. With an interesting lesson at the end – I should not have done my final captures in 17 even though that was the fastest victory; I should have waited to make sure I could finish his units in round 18 and maximize material. We've decided we'll live with that oddness in the tiebreaker rules going forward.

JB-- played strong games and it was an honor to face off. Clearly a top veteran to be scared of, the next encounter may not go so well.

OK I am officially tired of pasting URLs – makes me realize how much work vincent was doing when he was posting tourney screenshots earlier in the year! Hopefully some of you enjoy.
WolfCat

WolfCat

Fantastic report and very cool games! both fun and tense. Thanks Waxoid!
Now you and me are fighting in tour2, so let's see how it ends ))))
Inspired by you, i'll post a couple of screenshots from my games vs. Earth in tour1.
Thanks again! Was very cool
[Avatar]
droidfreak36

[Avatar]
droidfreak36

I find it interesting that Sapiens won both matches, but looking back it seems to me that both of you played much better as Saps than you did as Titans. You way overextended yourself by trying to take the lower base without protecting your upper base, and you teleported a gang of Mechas right next to an Engineer. That is never a good idea! JB likewise overextended himself by going on speeder attacks and teleport-attacking the battery. Neither of you guys kept in mind that Titans are a turtling race, going on heavy offense with a bunch of speeders and mechas when you should have been building up Plasmas and Walkers. Admittedly these tourney games often come down to time, but if either of you had chosen a turtling strategy as Titans you would have won both games or at least delayed the enemy from winning their game, ensuring victory by a much wider margin. You shouldn't let time pressures stop you from playing up the strengths of your race.

DroidFreak, the roboticist who plays as Khrals.

(Or Titans now that I realize how legit they are)
[WWW]
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

Yes, that is a fine moral from these matches. As I mentioned in the other thread I certainly regretted not sticking to a standard Titan playbook. But sometimes doing the unexpected is a great way to shake up an opponent, take them 'out of book' and get them to make an unusual mistake. And anyway as you and I found in the sap-titan game we just played, turtling isn't necessarily as easy as it sounds!
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

fantastic matches! by some of the best players in the game. Hopefully the devs will implement a way to share re-plays in the future

Best of luck forward in the tourney waxoid! there will be some tough competition ahead ...

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
Forum Index » Tournaments