[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Fighting buried underlings
Forum Index » Titans
lorfje

lorfje

Nice pictures, but could you also explain why you were unsuccessful? Couldn't you systematically arrange your Underlings for favorable fights?

It seems that even in the fourth position you can take out one Walker with help of your Wyrm (killing one Marine first) although you would be vulnerable then to the other Walker and the Assimilator. Even the Plasma could be a target. With some more buried Underlings (you seem to have enough money) wouldn't a fast, profitable, attack have been possible in this battle?
trogdor

trogdor

Pictures aren't showing up for me
rebelxt

rebelxt

Let me try to explain why I failed..

First thing, I started out by creating 6 or so underlings before creating any other unit. However, you can only create one underling per turn even though you get 200 credits per turn from one base on HF. So you accumulate extra credits fast in a long game..

My opponent recalled his two initial mechas back to the base right away, since his strategy was going to be defense from the very beginning. So he did the same thing I did, i.e. create meat shields only for the first few turns, then create a plasma tank and assimilator when he had too many credits accumulated. By the time I had my underlings by his base, he did very smart moves every single turn to keep my underlings covered. I also had to constantly reposition underlings trying to set up a chain attack, but was getting 'em covered virtually every time. He read my strategy well and kept me moving my units.. Maybe there was some minor luck involved, but imho this was strategy implied by aLoN.. There was one chance for me to take his plasma tank down to 1-2 health but not kill it, and one of my underlings would get assimilated..
rebelxt

rebelxt

trogdor wrote: Pictures aren't showing up for me

Try going to picasa web album at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/apinkin/UniwarGameScreenshots#
lorfje

lorfje

rebelxt wrote: Let me try to explain why I failed..

What I see is that essentially only the Underlings are useful for you in the attack, the Pinzer is weak and slow in the forest, and the Wyrm is also slow and vulnerable there. So if you want to avoid an enormous mutual buildup (in which your opp can deploy several Walkers) then maybe max out your Underling production, with perhaps a few air units for extra flexibility (to finish off weak units that are in the way). The alternative would be to wait for your opp to advance and hope to make favorable attacks.

But it's always tough winning against a defensive strategy, it seems (i'm not an experienced player).

PS. Safari 4 seems to display the images directly.
[Avatar]
_jnc_

[Avatar]
_jnc_

Thanks a lot for sharing, rebelxt!
It's a lot more interesting to talk about strategies you can actually see; we really need to be able to upload pictures more easily in this forum (thanks to molly btw for the step-by-step intstructions).

If you see the Titan player go defensive, maybe it would be more promising to build Garudas and start harassing from the beginning. Don't know, just an idea.
dr. pepper

dr. pepper

Please see my post in the Feature Request forum. I posted about this very topic. I personally think mass buried underlings is overpowered especially against Titans.....

Honestly, buried underling spam can be beaten, but it's EXTREMELY TEDIOUS and stressful keeping tracking of that many buried underlings. I understand the basic concept that rebelxt is explaining, but it's very difficult to execute. I'm not all that surprised that Alon and Ishmael can beat it (as they're both top 5 Titans players in the entire game), but the average Titan player doesn't stand a chance....

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 09, 2009 00:51

Anonymous

Anonymous
It's not that big a deal, honestly... The strategy is pretty basic and yes it's time consuming but the Titans are a very slow and defensive race to play in general. Underlings get a strong attack when they pop up but so what? They're weak otherwise, they can easily be caught or destroyed when they do pop up, and it's nowhere near as easy to pull off a chain attack with underlings as you might imagine. Yes three or four can take down a tank but those three or four will probably be destroyed right afterwards so it's a pretty even loss. And they might not even pull it off, and you can keep them from surrounding the tank, etc.

Lots of mechas. Lots of assimilators. Seriously, it works fine, it's just slow and boring so most don't want to do it. But Titans are a slow and boring race to play. That's why there's three races for three different play styles.

The reason not so many Titans players on top has a lot more to do with EMP spam then buried underlings. Maybe the update will help with that, I hope, but Titans vs Khraleans is actually a very fair match right now.
[Avatar]
gunther84

[Avatar]
gunther84

...ALL YOUR BASES ARE BELONG TO US....
Forum Index » Titans