[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Championship tournaments
Forum Index » Tournaments
ElPresidente

ElPresidente

Uniwarpoland wrote:
  ElPresidente wrote:And now I see my id in the list but it says promoted to round 2. What does that mean

It means that you will play in round 2.

Thanks but I don't understand the system. Why are there lots of people set into round 2? Why not just have everyone in round 1? Not complaining but I wish there was a good faq that explained the whole system. I don't know what to expect or when I should be ready to play. Seems like a lot of energy went into setting this up and an hour investment in a full clear explanation would be time well spent. Or is it somewhere I missed?
drumstep

drumstep

First round promotions are necessary in any single elimination bracket that doesn't have a number of participants exactly equal to a power of two. Otherwise it will end up with odd numbers of players in various other rounds. Take a simple 4 round tournament for example, which would normally have 16 people and the progression would be 16 => 8=>4=>2=>winner. If only 12 people sign up the progression would be 12=>6=>3. The solution is to promote 4 players to round two and have the remaining 8 play for the other 4 spots, so we have 12=>8=>4=>2=>winner. Doing the promotions at the first round is the fairest way of making sure the numbers stay even.

The reason so many players were promoted in that particular tourney is that it was set up as 1024 person bracket, but only about 560 signed up, which would leave a lot of empty spaces in the round of 512 if everyone played. The turnout might suggest that it would be best to restrict tourneys to 512 again.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 03, 2016 13:18

ElPresidente

ElPresidente

Thanks. Helpful. So, instead of having bye's later in the tourney they have them all in round 1.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 06, 2016 02:18

tommecc

tommecc

drumstep wrote:First round promotions are necessary in any single elimination bracket that doesn't have a number of participants exactly equal to a power of two. Otherwise it will end up with odd numbers of players in various other rounds. Take a simple 4 round tournament for example, which would normally have 16 people and the progression would be 16 => 8=>4=>2=>winner. If only 12 people sign up the progression would be 12=>6=>3. The solution is to promote 4 players to round two and have the remaining 8 play for the other 4 spots, so we have 12=>8=>4=>2=>winner. Doing the promotions at the first round is the fairest way of making sure the numbers stay even.

The reason so many players were promoted in that particular tourney is that it was set up as 1024 person bracket, but only about 560 signed up, which would leave a lot of empty spaces in the round of 512 if everyone played. The turnout might suggest that it would be best to restrict tourneys to 512 again.

Probably this is the easiest way to overcome the problem but definitively it is not the fairest. Example: there are 600 signed for tournament, by now there will be only 176 players that will play in 88 matches for the first turn, all other 424 players will not play and will be promoted directly to the second turn. The 88 winners of the matches, joined with the other 424, will be the 512 players needed for the second turn.
The fairest way in my opinion, will be to play 300 matches so that everybody will play, at the end of the turn a ladder for all players will be made and 512 players will be promoted for the second turn, including the 300 winners + the "best" 212 looser.
Probably the rules to establishing the ladder need to be updated, but I'm sure it will not be a problem for the organizing committee.

[Avatar]
Michaelrn

[Avatar]
Michaelrn

Capture of friendly bases in a team game count toward the total number of captured bases to be used as a tiebreaker?
drumstep

drumstep

Michaelrn wrote:Capture of friendly bases in a team game count toward the total number of captured bases to be used as a tiebreaker?

No, that got fixed according to the community spreadsheet.
Forum Index » Tournaments