[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Great disrespect calls for even greater tolerance.
Forum Index » General Discussion
[Avatar]
volf

[Avatar]
volf

I agree this talk has no place here. Simsverd banned him when he piped up though so that makes me happier. There is a problem with our society which has no reverence for those who died. Most of my generation has no reverence and does not know when to take their hat off or when things should not be talked about and it disgusts me.
Abie

Abie

Apercent wrote:
  cmbaptist wrote:C'mon apercent that's a weak argument.

I give you that

OK, so is not saying Hitler going to make him dissapear or something? We need to stop pretending the Holocaust didn't happen, this not going to make it go away.

And the peopel that survived it are in their 90s. They aren't even playing this game, most likely. At this point, ww2 IS history.

You have a lot of what you are saying as wrong. First of all, I want to say that I am Jewish, and as Jewish as they get, and a semi-religious, but not off the deep end Jew. I am not the son or grandson of any holocaust survivors. But I have friends in my community, in NYC, who are. Just because Holocaust survivors don't play doesn't mean there children or grandchildren don't. This game is supposed to be a WAR game, but also a friendly war game.

Unfortunately World War II is NOT history yet. I even had a discussion with my father about it, and I said how it is just amazing how it's 70 years later and we are still talking about WW II.

I still disagree with my friend to this day when he refuses to drive a German car, such as a BMW, because I've said that WW II, is over. But I realize in his eyes it's still not over. I drive German cars, because in my eyes it is over. The most influential person in the world (in a bad way), Hitler, will never go away in the history books.

Lastly I want to add in that I am on a 2s team that I named The Death Threats. This to me is as far as I think that I can go without really being so offensive. But Uniwar is still just a game.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 29, 2016 02:41

[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

We dont want players to have username that are offensive to many other players. "Hitler" is surely such a name.

I was ready to ban him for a very long time from chat, but as i understood it, Xavi said in chat he would contact him in a game about the name. I have not heard any from that so i will look into it.

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
[Avatar]
xavi

[Avatar]
xavi

I am in discussion with the person using that name. Clearly Hitler is more recent than Attila and much more controversial.

I consider that Hitler is not offensive in itself but the connotation, the images and the historical meaning of it makes it conflictual and possibly offensive for some players.

I would prefer that no one in the community use names that are likely to fuel conflicts.

I believe that the most important independently of the name of someone is how they behave, treat others & represent themselves. Soon a report feature will be available that will give more visibility on these issues

-= The UniWar Team =-
[Email]
[Avatar]
miamimoose

[Avatar]
miamimoose

Hitler namesake shouldn't be banned or removed unless he or she is portraying this image in global chat or in game chat...It's a name guys if I changed mine to "Twin Towers Down" And you didn't know me as a player would you all just assume I was glorifying that fact? Keeping this convo going is the only thing keeping the light on...Turn it off and move on
[Avatar]
miamimoose

[Avatar]
miamimoose

By the way I lost my uncle in the 2nd tower and wouldn't give a 2nd thought to that name unless negativity from that player came with it...I'm neither a moose or from Miami but everyone assumes I'm one or both
[Avatar]
cmbaptist

[Avatar]
cmbaptist

I'll comment on what moose said before I get to my thought, and I'm sorry for your loss Rossi that was a very tragic and senseless loss of life. But I would hope if someone had the audacity to make a profile named " twin towers down ", that put the moose in fight mode. Here is the thing, something's are just plain wrong, and you can't just be " cool " with everything that comes along. Sometimes unfortunately confrontation is required or else people will continue to push the moral boundary further and further until uniwar has become so toxic people like myself, and many others will pull the pin altogether. Now to my thought...

The names xDOLF & xITLER are very untasteful and most I think would agree, but as distasteful as those names are they have become a byproduct of my real concern and that, is the person that has jokingly talked about gassing Jews on more than one occasion.... What happens is when someone with that type of uneducated and EXTREMELY hurtful humor sees a guy profile named "xITLER" something must go off in the they're pea brained head that says " this place allows "Jew jokes".... In all reality I'm tired of talking about this, this is not an anti liberal political debate as I'm sure most have taken my concerns to be, really it's just a respect thing, those who don't have it need it, all I want to do is help em learn it.

Chris,
God bless

Psalms 100:5 For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.
[Avatar]
StarryBlink

[Avatar]
StarryBlink

This is an interesting topic.
I agree players shouldn't use the username that intend to offense people.
And I almost agree with you in banning the name Adolf & Hitler.

But I google those names a little bit.
And surpise that the name Adolf is among the common name in German speaking country maybe like name Micheal/John in English.
Although the name become rarer & rarer after Adolf Hitler.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf

For example :
Adolf Dassler, German entrepreneur and founder of Adidas (1900–197
Adolf Bastian, German anthropologist (1826–1905)
Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden, King of Sweden (1882–1973)
Adolf Meyer (psychiatrist), Swiss-American psychiatrist (1866–1950)
Adolf Meyer (architect), German architect (1881–1929)

And Hitler is a surname that exist for centuries in German & Austria.

Here're some interesting post in the Guardian about Hitler surname:
http://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-57564,00.html

" I was born with the Hitler surname. I took the name of my stepfather at my mother's urging when I was 13-years-old. I'm now trying to find out where my former surname came from. My grandfather, on my father's side, used to say that it was of British origin. And, after doing a little genealogical research, I discovered that several Hitlers migrated from Germany to Ohio in the 1760s. My family on my father's side is originally from Ohio, so this seems like a good lead. However, I haven't been able to get much farther in my research than this, as my father has passed away. My grandfather also seems to have no real idea where the name came from. If anyone has any info. it'd be much appreciated. "

Christopher Granger, Dumfries, VA, US

" I am orginally from Ohio and know that there were or are Hitlers in southern Ohio. It is believed that they have been there since the early or mid 1800s. There was a road with the Hitler name in southern Ohio named after a very respectable family with the name Hitler long before the Nazi era (in the 19th century). I don't know if the name of the road has changed since the days of the Nazis. It would be interesting to find out. "

John Gabel, Eustis, Florida US

----------------------------

After all, I agree the name "Adolf Hitler" not only Adolf or Hitler should be ban since it's definitely link to Adolf Hitler.
Also the name "Twin tower down" since we're sure about the player's intention. Nobody in the world really have that surname.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 30, 2016 06:34

[Avatar]
miamimoose

[Avatar]
miamimoose

PERFECT POST ABOVE!
[Avatar]
cmbaptist

[Avatar]
cmbaptist

AGAIN... We're splitting hairs here guys... But point taken....

Psalms 100:5 For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.
[Avatar]
cmbaptist

[Avatar]
cmbaptist

[Thumb - Screenshot_2016-03-26-22-55-20.png]
 Filename Screenshot_2016-03-26-22-55-20.png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 689 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  0 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 31, 2016 02:31

[Avatar]
miamimoose

[Avatar]
miamimoose

Jade Hawk should be banned %itler handled himself well
Jade Hawk

Jade Hawk

Right. I can see that you guys are still going on about what I typed in chat. Its beginning to annoy me that this discussion is still going on so I'll just say what I need to say...

First off: I typed in that chat room earlier that I NEVER meant to offend anyone with my jokes. Clearly a few people couldnt handle it but that aint my problem.

Second: People do have the first name 'Adolf' in Germany. I dont see a problem with having the username 'Hitler' as long as 'Adolf' is not with the surname and vice versa.

Third: I dont care how many years have passed since World War 2. Its in the past. It might not be history yet but it IS in the past so yeah...

I wouldnt normally reply to Forum Posts but when a certain 'someone' brings up my name in a bad light then I WILL be defending myself.

All I'm just saying is that if people cant take dark humour them they shouldnt be in a chat room. I never directed my comments to ANYONE in chat at all.

Please dont make me come back here. I REALLY dont need to be arguing with some random dudes on the internet over one guys pickiness.

Amen.

@miamimoose: You really dont want to turn this into a personal thing dude. Just please stop. Thank you.
[Avatar]
cmbaptist

[Avatar]
cmbaptist

It seems to me hawk that you have a narrow perspective when it comes to such things. I get that people have surnames and so on and so forth yada yada yada. But just because you don't single someone out does not mean people are going to tolerate your diarrhea of the mouth. I most certainly will not! As for this topic of discussion... It was dead ... Move on....

[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

No reason to discuss this anymore anyways. Hitler agreed to talk to xavi about his name.
Forum Index » General Discussion