[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
More veterancy please
Forum Index » New Feature Request
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

Viva- veteran units DO get +1 attack in addition to the increase in max HP for each level of veterancy

[Avatar]
LkASr

[Avatar]
LkASr

I'd like to see a Vet III Marine to gain the siege ability
A Vet III Underling able to resurface after move would sound great too
And a Vet III Mecha able to move again after teleporting last turn too

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 01, 2017 19:07

Never surrender when you still have the chance.
"I have achieved navel superiority" -myself 2017
All the good stuff [WoT Generals Beta Tester, Uniwar Beta Tester, Vainglory Hero Suggestions List Contributor]
Come look at my profile for more info
join wang

join wang

LkASr wrote:I'd like to see a Vet III Marine to gain the siege ability
A Vet III Underling able to resurface after move would sound great too
And a Vet III Mecha able to move again after teleporting last turn too

I like this idea all to often my underlings can't reach a walker due to a mech shadowing them. I think we should instead allow Vet III marines to entrench or use concussion grenades http://www.uniwar.com/tournament.page?tournament=nomedic . I think Vet III mechs should be able to call in an orbital strike from their warship in space http://www.uniwar.com/tournament.page?tournament=desertchaos
OmegaD

OmegaD

So *ahem* anyways, back to the original topic: how about some more veterancy ranks?
Little Omar

Little Omar

There's no point in adding more ranks if the existing veterancy ranks continue to be mostly irrelevant to the game. Veterancy will remain irrelevant until the cost-benefit balance tips in its favor, either by reducing the cost (easier to gain) or by increasing its benefit (giving it more oomph), or both, thereby incenting players to use it in their strategies.

If we go with the reducing cost option, it is as as simple as giving units experience for all damage inflicted, including defense. Or give experience for net damage, so only whichever unit deals more damage, whether attacker or defender, earns experience. It never made sense, anyway, that only kills and only offense got experience -- though the kill getting a bonus does make sense.

The experience earning rate can be tweaked each update until the right balance of oomph is found.

Giving veterancy enough oomph to become relevant will impact tactics a number of ways.
  • The game will become more strategic and less tactical. Players will be incented to think more about the long game than the short.
  • Players will be incented to treat their units less as expendable tactical cannon-fodder, more as strategic assets to be protected and advanced. When you lose a unit you lose not just its credit cost, but all its earned experience.
  • Kills become even more valuable: both because you deny the enemy veterancy and because your unit earns a bonus. But because your own experienced units are valuable, kamikaze tactics will probably become less frequent, usually only using fresh units.
  • Tactics will revolve around highly experienced units much as they do around strategic map tiles.
  • You'd have two ways to increase relative strength: (1) accumulate credits (bases/cities) and (2) accumulate experience. The player who has more bases but sacrificed many units to cap them might end up being weaker than the player who built up veterans. I think the tension between these two factors will add a great dimension to Uniwar.

• Finally, in games where there are more than two players, players who avoid battles while other players destroy each other don't earn any experience. The fly-under-the-radar tactic will continue, but it will work less.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at May 29, 2017 02:18

OmegaD

OmegaD

Little Omar wrote:Veterancy will remain irrelevant until the cost-benefit balance tips in its favor, either by reducing the cost (easier to gain) or by increasing its benefit (giving it more oomph)

I agree with everything Omar said. Great ideas.
    Forum Index » New Feature Request