[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Chess Proverbs for Uniwar Players
Forum Index » Guides & Tips
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

Many beginning Uniwar players express surprise when they realize that the game has much more in common with chess (strategic positional play and depth) than they expected based on it's similarity to a certain real-time-strategy game (Starcraft). In fact, plenty of the time-tested principles of good chess play are perfectly applicable to Uniwar. Here's a quick attempt to translate some of those principles of chess strategy culled from chess sites to their applicability in Uniwar:

Think in terms of material, space and time
Chess players are taught to think in terms of all three of these. I think a common Uniwar mistake is to focus exclusively on material (enemy units killed vs. friendly units killed) at the expense of space and time as important game elements. Winning play may involve trading these elements off against each other – e.g., you might sacrifice a small amount of material or trade material in return for setting your opponent back in terms of the number of turns before he can achieve an objective. This is the "time" factor – roughly the number of turns it will take to accomplish something – e.g. for a threat on a base to become credible, or to afford the purchase of a walker. "Space" refers to a player's ability to move pieces freely and create different combinations of threats and positions. Reducing the opponent's space is often an important objective, especially with Uniwar's terrain and zone of control (can't move past another unit), which means that cramped positions can be deadly.

Don't focus on what's come off the board, focus on what's still on it
It's easy to be preoccupied with the material count, and/or be distracted by units that you've lost. All that matters however is what is still on the board and what can be done with the position you have.

Checkmate is the only goal
In Uniwar, this means base captures. Always look at every possibility to take a base and use your other units to block and prevent the opponent from stopping you. Even if you sacrifice material, the credit gain in coming turns will usually be decisive. Threats on bases are the ultimate goal of any campaign. Often, the threat of captures forces the hand of your opponent (e.g. compels him/her to make a defensive move or to try and stop a capture) which opens up tactical possibilities as a result of the units that are 'tied down' defending the base. Never forget what the game is really about.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 05, 2012 15:19

[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

Superior force usually wins
All this said (you didn't think strategy would be simple, did you? ), it usually is true that if you can achieve a material gain over your opponent, chances are good that you will win. Take care of every unit and watch the material count closely. Retreat and heal when you need to, and if you have a chance to take an enemy unit without counterplay (retaliation), usually you want to do it.

When you see a good move, sit on your hands until you see a better one
With so many possibilities in each and every Uniwar position, this is a great principle to keep in mind. In many ways Uniwar is about optimizing the use of each and every unit you've fielded, working as a single coordinated army and gaining maximal advantage in material, space and time (as well as maximizing important tactical considerations such as gang-up and terrain advantages). Think about completely different moves (offensive or defensive), or just a different order of units attacking and on what spaces, tallying pros/cons until you find the absolutely best move available.

Even when a move seems forced, it is worth taking a few moments to see if there might be a better alternative
Step back and think outside the box before you do what seems like the 'natural' thing to do in a given position. Maybe you don't have to protect a unit that you normally would protect, because you can make a more compelling counter-threat elsewhere.

Make sure all of your pieces are earning their keep
Part of optimizing your moves is ensuring that the pieces you've paid for are earning their keep. For each and every unit, what is its purpose? To threaten, to defend, to block (or be a "meat shield"), control space, counter an opposing unit, keep the opponent honest in some way? For each and every unit, are they earning their keep right now? And if not, how do you change the board so that they are?

A premature attack is doomed to failure
I'd guess for 80% of Uniwar players there is a +300 point gain in ranking waiting to be had simply by heeding this principle. Your army needs to work as a single organism and attack to win. The tactical elements of the game (e.g. gang-up) as well as strategic considerations all favor thoughtful, coordinated play that attacks only when an attack will clearly (or very probably lead to base captures or immediate wins in material, space or time. Just because you can initiate combat doesn't mean you should – are there clear reasons why you will prevail through a series of exchanges, especially considering whether the battle is taking place closer to the opponent's base, where s/he will field reinforcements more rapidly than you?
Perhaps you think careful or defensive play is "turtling" and something only cowardly players do. If so, you're headed toward a long and painful series of defeats. You're playing the wrong game. Consider putting your time into games that are more oriented toward instant conflict, say Call of Duty.
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

When ahead in material, trade down
A +400 advantage in material may not be significant if there are a lot of units still on the board, but if you can initiate a series of exchanges that have the effect of trading material from both sides, that advantage may start looking much more decisive relative to the units that remain on the board.

Determine the purpose of each move by your opponent
Again, probably a quick +300 improvement to your ranking may result from simply studying your opponent's move more carefully. What can they do, really? What are they thinking? Why did they build these units and move them where they have? What possible retaliation can they deliver after your move? Not the moves you hope they'll make, the truly most deadly move they can make.

"In 'Real Chess' you make sure you can meet all of your opponent's threats before he makes them; otherwise, it is 'Hope Chess.'"
Another way of saying the above… it is an amazing property of the human brain that we are very skilled at seeing what we want to see. You must train your indulgent brain to look at the reality of what your opponent is capable of, not a fantasy of what they might do, and respond appropriately in your own move. If defense is what is called for, you better be on freakin' defense.

There must be no reasoning from the past moves, only the present position.
It is easy to stay attached to a plan even when it isn't working. Look at every move with completely fresh eyes.

Don't be afraid of losing. Be afraid of playing a game and not learning something.
Enough said.

Defeat is the greatest teacher
Learn at least one important lesson from each loss. "You learn more from a single loss than you do a dozen wins."
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

Mostly play opponents 100-200 points higher than you - you need to be punished for your mistakes so you won't make them again
On a related note… playing opponents 500 points above you may be demoralizing – you may not even quite grasp why you were defeated so completely. Playing opponents below you is fun but doesn't always mean you are learning anything. Opponents a bit above you are the right balance. Typically, they've learned not to make some class of mistake that you are still making. What is that mistake? (The first step to mastery is the elimination of errors.) When you lose, ask your opponent for tips and to point out your mistakes – you may be surprised by what they are willing to share.

"The worst thing that ever happened to some juniors is the invention of the rating system. Without it, they would just play whenever they felt like playing and would get a lot stronger, instead of protecting their rating, etc."
Words of wisdom for any of us who fall into the trap of caring more about their rating than they care about how good they are.

"If you worry about your opponent's rating or play to the level of your competition, then don't look at his rating until after the game."
Two lessons there. First, don't underestimate an opponent based on their lower rating and play more speculative, indulgent moves – you may be in for a rough awakening. Secondly, don't assume that an opponent's higher rating means that you will lose. I can't tell you how many games I've won when I think the opponent surrendered prematurely, which I attribute to the fact that they see my higher rating and assume I've got it all figured out, even when I may be gnawing my fingernails worrying about the position in question. Anyone can lose, any game.

"In chess, if you learn to consistently (each move) do the little things: take your time, count the material effect of your move, and check for basic tactics, you will soon find that these are not so little!"
A fine note to finish on!
[Avatar]
StarryBlink

[Avatar]
StarryBlink

Great tips ! thanks for posting

I wanna elaborate & comment some.

Think in terms of material, space and time :
- As titan. Sacrificing some mecha to wall your land and being slightly neagtive balance but successfully preparing your line of defend
is better than keeping positive balance but letting sap&kharl opponents move in your land more&more.
- Likewise, As sap&kharl vs titan. Wisely offensive play and successfully invade titan line of defence despite slightly negative balance
is better than keeping positive balance but let titan building up their fortress.
-------------------

Don't focus on what's come off the board, focus on what's still on it.
- Some differ in Uniwar from chess : Fog of war & money.
If your score is badly negative but your and opponent's units seem equal on your eyes,
maybe there're somethings you can't see (fog/underground) or an enemy's artillery to be built.
[Avatar]
rwieczor84

[Avatar]
rwieczor84

great tips waxoid
nice to read, thanks!
regard87

regard87

Good write up.
The protecting your ranking thing holds true for me for sure. Since I stopped worrying about it and started playing more ranked random games my rankings actually gone up about 150 pts.

Creator of Powerplay, Weakside, Strongside and Gap Control.
Also OddManBreak, IceRink, Breakout2v2

Testing FlyingV, MixNmatch, GatherRoundtheWell Give them a try!
nomadmax

nomadmax

Hi. I have read your thoughts about uniwar and like it very much. Is it ok, if I translate it to russian and put it to one of the hot uniwar topics on russian forum? Copyright will be complied, of course.
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

Certainly, thanks for the translation nomadmax.
nomadmax

nomadmax

Waxoid, thank You very much for your kind permission
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

I enjoyed reading this

"I hate the world's population, it's too large and getting larger. People need to slow down on the sex!"

Wandering...
[Avatar]
Gigantalian

[Avatar]
Gigantalian

Such intellectual words!
[Avatar]
Monkey Borg

[Avatar]
Monkey Borg

I've always called uniwar "bug chess"...
[Avatar]
Monkey Borg

[Avatar]
Monkey Borg

thanks for the proverbs, waxoid!

I've always thought of uniwar as "bug chess"...
[Avatar]
talone

[Avatar]
talone

UniWar - a bridge between chess and Endlessness

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 19, 2013 12:27

Who loves UniWar and wants seriously study the UniWar secrets and tactics - email me
[WWW]
Forum Index » Guides & Tips