[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
What Exactly Does "Balance" Mean to You?
Forum Index » General Discussion
curmudgeon

curmudgeon

Everyone talks a lot about balance of maps and races, but are we all talking about the same thing? There are two opposing interpretations on how this game can be viewed as balanced and how to scrutinize user generate maps. I would like to try to come to a consensus on what balance means.

In general Saps>K's, K>Titans, Titans>Saps. One way to view this is that even though one race always has the advantage in 1vs1 games, the entire game is balanced in the end. The other way to view this is that the game is unbalanced and tweaks need to be made to each race to decrease or completely get rid of race advantages.

The same problem can be applied to rating maps for balance. When someone rates a map as balanced, are they saying that it fits the Saps>K's, K>Titans, Titans>Saps format, or it is actually a fair fight for all races? Can we establish some sort of consensus on how we are rating maps?

Obviously I would love to have all the races be equal, but I do not think that is possible(without being allowed to play games where all units can be bought). I would like to see the ones called balanced maps be the ones which follow the Saps>K's, K>Titans, Titans>Saps format and when a map changes this format, we should be able to give this feedback in the rating system.

How does everyone else see this?
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

Good games, and an honest chance to 'upset' if playing a disadvantaged race and the opponent makes (even small) mistakes. In general, evening the gap between races on a larger number of maps. Definitely not just adherence to the rock-scissors-paper.
[Avatar]
StarryBlink

[Avatar]
StarryBlink

For me, the balance mean "absolute balance".

** Ideally, every races have equal chance to win in every maps. **

This absolute balance maybe impossible to reach.
But we should struggle for reaching closer&closer to that point.
And with continuous fine-tuning, we sure will getting closer.

Despite we may not reach the absolute balance yet.
If we move close enough to it, uniwar will become a 21th century chess.

Rock-scissor-paper thing is not enough.
Because your victory will depend considerably on choosing the right race.

Forum Index » General Discussion