[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
limit teleport ability that currently ruins many map layouts
Forum Index » New Feature Request
Which suggestion finds your approval?
(1) 7% [ 1 ]
(2) 7% [ 1 ]
(3) 13% [ 2 ]
(4) 40% [ 6 ]
(5) 0% [ 0 ]
none of the above, teleport should not be changed 33% [ 5 ]
none of the above, but teleport should be limited 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 15
El-Mo

El-Mo

Since the map editor is out, i frequently have been struggling with finding solutions to make big maps work with titans teleport ability, that are based on progressive base runs.

as an example, see the 8 player tournament theme based maps (search for tournament), or in general all maps featuring outwards starting bases with a neutral center island.

in many such layouts, the titan teleport ability ruins alot, giving titans entire control of the far away neutral areas right from the start. progressive base runs, i.e. slow and fought over advancements along the path of starting base to neutrals paradise, which would otherwise assure exciting dynamics in matches are hardly possible do to teleport flooding or teleport chains in first turns.

so my suggestions to fix teleportation, to remove this massively imbalancing advantage in start conditions, while preserving most of teleport value in the remaining turns of a game for titan would be this: (one of these should do the trick, in order of my preference)

- (1) add a general teleport ban in the first 2-3 turns of every game.

- (2) add a individual warm-up period after a unit is build, like enabling teleport for newly built units (including already present starting units) only 2 or 3 rounds after their creation.

- (3) add tiles to the no-teleport-to list, which is currently only water, base and naval base. i have tested setups with navalbase pathways but the neccessary separation of at least 4 tiles between home and no-teleport-area ruins many layouts. if you added healthbases and swamps and/or mountains to that list one could work with that fairly well in map design.

- (4) limit vision of teleported units during cool down (the first two rounds after teleport) to 0 or 1, perhaps in combination with one of the other suggestions, as that alone still neccessitates big water separations of 4 tiles or more.

- (5) limit range of teleportation to say 5 to 7 tiles from starting position, not perfect, but one could work with that as well, also preventing teleport chains. but would probably be too much of a cut down of the value of teleport.

i think the first three ideas would be fairly unobtrusive, the tiles idea could even leave the dynamics of current maps intact if you add new tiles with no-teleport property in the next upgrade.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 02, 2012 10:54

J.C.

J.C.

there's a huge debate upon this point between top ranked players. i can like it, but im not so skilled to understand how will it change games. consider that titans are strong especially on huge maps

Test my maps:
1-on-1
ColdestPlace - Tiny Desert - SkyAndSand

3-on-3
DeadFlower
David

4-on-4
BasesGaloreXL6
BasesGaloreXL7
[Avatar]
reallyfun

[Avatar]
reallyfun

Oh man I'm so glad someone brought this up. I completely agree, this ruins/limits many interesting map layouts and restricts creativity.

#3 sounds like a good solution. I'm opened to better ideas also.
El-Mo

El-Mo

J.C. wrote: there's a huge debate upon this point between top ranked players. i can like it, but im not so skilled to understand how will it change games. consider that titans are strong especially on huge maps

debate somewhere on here on forum you mean? titans should have their teleport, and a way to not interrupt/change dynamics on current maps would be addition of new no-teleport tiles instead of converting existing ones...
J.C.

J.C.

debate wherever: in-game, here, via e-mails...

Test my maps:
1-on-1
ColdestPlace - Tiny Desert - SkyAndSand

3-on-3
DeadFlower
David

4-on-4
BasesGaloreXL6
BasesGaloreXL7
regard87

regard87

There was another option I liked once that I saw.
The Mechas cooldown is dependant on how many tiles he ported.
Something like anything past 6 is another turn. This might encourage Titan players to progressively port out capturing bases. That or just a range limit is my thoughts.

BTW I want to point out its RainbowT's fault that El-mo is bringing this up.

Creator of Powerplay, Weakside, Strongside and Gap Control.
Also OddManBreak, IceRink, Breakout2v2

Testing FlyingV, MixNmatch, GatherRoundtheWell Give them a try!
[Avatar]
calden

[Avatar]
calden

The simplest way of balancing teleportation is to simply reduce the vision radius of a recently teleported unit. Units currently see surrounding terrain immediately upon teleporting. This lets you teleport units even further away now that you've explored more area, which allows very quick 'daisy-chaining' across the map.
The solution to this problem is to make newly teleported units should have their vision radius restricted to zero or one, until the next turn. This way, no further teleport restrictions which would seriously change the game are necessary.

Calden
regard87

regard87

Yep the vision idea ive heard before. Thats option 4 on the list and that would certainly fix the issue.

However what we'd have to consider is how that will affect normal 1v1 strategy regarding mass drops. Dont think itd be much of an issue you'd just have to scout ahead a little more and not port in blind.

Creator of Powerplay, Weakside, Strongside and Gap Control.
Also OddManBreak, IceRink, Breakout2v2

Testing FlyingV, MixNmatch, GatherRoundtheWell Give them a try!
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

Point 4) and 5) are by far my favourites, and I'd like them to be combines if possible.

"I hate the world's population, it's too large and getting larger. People need to slow down on the sex!"

Wandering...
zgar

zgar

I agree, I think four and five are the only things that would help. I think 5 is too much of a nerf and would take away fun strategies and teamwork, and 4 may not be enough in some cases.. but it would probably be in most so I voted for 4. The poster is right that it does ruin many layouts, any large map with unclaimed bases in the middle is generally not possible to play as anything but titan. That is actually a shame too, because territory grab maps can be really fun - but they are definitely not possible as it is right now.
Forum Index » New Feature Request