[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
The censor
Forum Index » General Discussion
metadeity

metadeity

Whether or not any of the developers of uniwar are to read this I wish to audit my beliefs against ghe censor somewhere outside of the chat itself. This implication is a despotic and cruel measure against all the people who play uniwar because the cursing issue is hardly a problem to us, the players. The only viable reason for this is to protect the ears/eyes of the children, but exactly how many children typically do play? The request for the E-mail account in order to play online is enough to weed out most people below the age of 12 as it is, due to the fact that most children below the age of 12 don't have E-mails. Of course there may be the reasoning that they can get their E-mails from their parents, but doesn't that infer something about the parents? Perhaps that they care less about what their children see?

If perhaps you say the excessive cursing is highly distatsteful and apalls all the prigish adults who wish to use uniwar chat, then you forget that most the people on uniwar chat are mature enough to use their cursing in a less, pardon my french, "gangster" way. Plus does the term adult mean nothing? The term adult has often been to show status as a mature and understanding member of society. This implication that we aren't able to understand the reason for cursing or are unable to tolerate it is an insult to us all.

Along that I hear there is a mute for those who curse more than 5 times or something along those lines. Though i am not sure if it has been implemented, i am sure that that level of censorship is at an extent where even dictators in the most oppressive level of censorship wouldn't bother committing

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 13, 2013 09:13

metadeity

metadeity

If censorship at this magnitude is scarcely used even in the most brutal regimes, why is it used in a place for recreation?

Most people log on to uniwar to blow off some steam and communicate with their online acquaintances. Like in any casual conversation you'll probably have some fooling around and cursing, but it doesn't truly scar anyone to see people enjoying themselves; does it? The censor takes away the casualness of conversation and makes it much more difficult to enjoy those truly colloquial conversations which made uniwar chat so enjoyable. And perhaps it truly is only a replacement of a word with stars, it still makes chat less pleasant.

The use of stars as a euphemism for cursing is unnecessary as it ruins the message intended by the speaker and makes communications difficult. Even if there is no mute for excessive language, the stars actually draw attention to the utterance. The mind is meant to look for anomalies, meaning people are less likely to notice a curse if they skim the conversation than if they actually see the weird difference. You may think these stars are otherwise harmless, but they actually also cause mass frustration
metadeity

metadeity

Perhaps many of you have had children, or seen a baby react, or know what a baby generally does, or aren't a cybernetic space worm; don't they cry a lot? You never fully understand why they cry because they can't tell you why, you don't know what they want you just want them to stop crying; this is the nature of all human beings. When we are unable to communicate the stress and frustration is what makes us cry, not to mention the fact that this stress is amplified by the fact that all we want at the time we log on to uniwar is to unwind. Obviously though you may say that adults don't cry and you may try to discredit my point, crying genuinely isn't so much tha case with adults... Can you guys guess what it is?

That's right! when we're frustrated we curse! The very feel of cursing puts us at easy, scientific studies, which I can't remember the citation of right now, have shown that when people curse they release feel good hormones which mellow them out and numb their physical pain slightly. The stress that the stars may bring may repel some from cursing on the chat, but what does it do to those stressed out people who normally would've unwinded and gotten their playful cursing out in chat here? It makes them less functional throughout the day, stress is well known to cause problems with people.
metadeity

metadeity

I wish to remind you, this is not a problem with our impulsiveness to curse. We have full control, we are mature reasonable adults with only an occasional troll. We have full control of what we say, we just find that applying the censor on us makes us seem like boorish, psychotic, angry punks to you; which is insulting. So please mr./mrs. Developer! "Tear Down This Symbol of Fascist Cruelty And Censorship!"
curmudgeon

curmudgeon

If that scientific study is true, shouldn't you be swearing outloud to relieve your stress and not in a chatroom? I support the censoring not to protect the children from adults swearing, but to protect the adults from the swearing children who play this game.
metadeity

metadeity

curmudgeon wrote: If that scientific study is true, shouldn't you be swearing outloud to relieve your stress and not in a chatroom? I support the censoring not to protect the children from adults swearing, but to protect the adults from the swearing children who play this game.

Yes but there aren't too many of those people on, an occasional troll as i have mentioned, but it's mostly mature and reasonable adults on the chat. If the majority of the people then truly are children then it's discriminating against the majority. For those unreasonable and highly annoying teens who come on to bother us all as you say we've been able tp get them banned by reporting them to developers just fine without the censor. The censor since i have recently learned it does engorce the mute, is also harmful to those mature and reasonable adults as even they curse. Plus it's already plain obvious that the developers went a bit overboard with what gets censored sinces even words such as but get censored.
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

curmudgeon wrote: If that scientific study is true, shouldn't you be swearing outloud to relieve your stress and not in a chatroom? I support the censoring not to protect the children from adults swearing, but to protect the adults from the swearing children who play this game.

Haha! good one..

I agree to some censoring, but only of the harshest words. The list as it seems now is a little "over the top".
It would be better to censor some words combined with human moderators of the "public" uniwar chat. The ingame chat should perhaps better be "policed" by having a "report insult" button. As it works now the server will also block in-game chatting if a person har been an idiot in the main chat.. and that could possibly affect team-play.

And meta: there is no human right to use profanities in a public chat room... just deal with the fact that the owners of the game wishes to set some standards.

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
metadeity

metadeity

simsverd wrote:

Haha! good one..

I agree to some censoring, but only of the harshest words. The list as it seems now is a little "over the top".
It would be better to censor some words combined with human moderators of the "public" uniwar chat. The ingame chat should perhaps better be "policed" by having a "report insult" button. As it works now the server will also block in-game chatting if a person har been an idiot in the main chat.. and that could possibly affect team-play.

And meta: there is no human right to use profanities in a public chat room... just deal with the fact that the owners of the game wishes to set some standards.

I respect that idea sims, but some vulgarity is of course necessary in every chat it's a freedom of expression. Though i dislike having such an oppressive system altogether, i agree there are those who need to be banned; however, making the report button so easily available can hurt people by giving some people, immature people in particular, too much power and a manner for abusing it
metadeity

metadeity

Plus also, the intention i believe for the censorship is to remove insults, cursing doesn't always mean insults. Getting rid of cursing is like taking a gun away from a bullet, your safer from it but you can still grab a hammer or a match and fire away
[Avatar]
Nicko

[Avatar]
Nicko

Meta, this isn't a chat room. Post everything you want to say in one post, not 3 different ones please.
And sims is right, you don't have a "right" to cuss in chat room. But you do have very good points. Most of the "cussing" going on is by mature people who are doing it as a joke, not to insult people. One could argue that they want it more children friendly, but generally speaking these same kids find it fun to wreak havoc in chat by being idiots. And when the child is mature enough to be accepted in the community, you get people like Cogger or Puppylover98, and THEY understand the jokes perfectly well and aren't offended by it.

Also as a side note... 12 years old DO have mails meta. If they're going to have iPhones, iPads, android phones and all that shit might as well get a mail xD

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 13, 2013 12:40

metadeity

metadeity

I would post in one post but i'm typing from an ipad, it stops frozen can't edit can change anything and can only post and make another comment
[Avatar]
Josh6

[Avatar]
Josh6

While I don't completely agree with the measures taken in implicating the censor, one must admit that curse words were common vernacular in general chat, and could possibly offend some players. I personally had little issue with the cursing and maintain that chat was an environment in which we, as mature people, could joke around and have fun. But, that said, I see where the devs are coming from here, and I respect their decisions and standards they wish to set for their game.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 15, 2013 19:50

"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
- Clint Eastwood
[Avatar]
Brice K

[Avatar]
Brice K

The purpose of the chat room is to discuss the game. It may get off topic which is fine, but it is not the chat to blow off steam. Go find a chat more appropriate for your purpose.
youownme

youownme

Brice K wrote: The purpose of the chat room is to discuss the game. It may get off topic which is fine, but it is not the chat to blow off steam. Go find a chat more appropriate for your purpose.

Last time I checked, it is a button labeled 'chat', not 'chat designed specifically to discuss the game'. Uniwar has a unique audience, it's hard to replace. If we only talked about the game with the current progression of it, chat would be empty six days a week.

-_-
J.C.

J.C.

I will use this quote in my signature, it explains everything. This is what i think, i agree with cur.

Nicko: i'm sorry mate, but what i saw yesterday in chat, wasn't a mature behavior AT ALL. Please, think about what happened and the words that were used. I'm referring to everything was said yesterday in chat by everyone.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 14, 2013 02:20

Test my maps:
1-on-1
ColdestPlace - Tiny Desert - SkyAndSand

3-on-3
DeadFlower
David

4-on-4
BasesGaloreXL6
BasesGaloreXL7
Forum Index » General Discussion