[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Changes are coming to uniwar...
Forum Index » General Discussion
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

The game will be free to download from google play and iOS appstore. The goal is to attract more new players and increase monetizing opportunities, while preserve current players investement in the paid version.
The free version will come in a few months. There will probably be some bugfixes and a version introducing OpenGL with improvements to graphichs and speed before the free version.
The free version will introduce a uniwar currency called unigold wich is to be bought with real money. Unigold will then be usable for “permanent purchases” and “consumable purchases”.
Examples on permanent purchases are: max ammount of games, reset turn, max ammount of replay games (future feature), more inbuildt maps for offline play
Examples on consumable purchases are: change flag, publish map, change username
A free game account will be limited to only 5 online games, but players that already have payed for the game will retain their current max games limit (20).

More info on the free version will come later

Other changes that are planned for the future: reform of the laddder, openGL Graphict, pinch to zoom, replay after game (already in testing), tournaments in-game

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Feb 04, 2015 20:05

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

uniinflationary! Good news – I'll be glad to have ways to support the game and get goodies. OpenGL changes sound intriguing.
[Avatar]
talone

[Avatar]
talone

good ideas

Who loves UniWar and wants seriously study the UniWar secrets and tactics - email me
[WWW]
zhaine7900

zhaine7900

Reset turn for money as in, I paid real money for the ability to correct my mistakes while the other dude who doesn't buy in game perks has to live with what he did the fair way?
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

zhaine7900 wrote: Reset turn for money as in, I paid real money for the ability to correct my mistakes while the other dude who doesn't buy in game perks has to live with what he did the fair way?

Its easy to redo turn today since it is not uploaded to the server before the player ends the turn (by deleting the cache or overwriting it). Most high level players does this (with multiple accounts).

There is no plans from the devs to change this, by for example uploading each move, so if they cant prevent it they might as well give the option to all.

The "reset turn" will let the user reset turn 3 times each game

NB! resetting the turn will not change how much dammage is dealt. The randoms are seeded from the server.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 11, 2013 14:17

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
zgar

zgar

simsverd wrote:
  zhaine7900 wrote: Reset turn for money as in, I paid real money for the ability to correct my mistakes while the other dude who doesn't buy in game perks has to live with what he did the fair way?

Its easy to redo turn today since it is not uploaded to the server before the player ends the turn (by deleting the cache or overwriting it). Most high level players does this (with multiple accounts).

Ohh man, that's disappointing to hear. I always kind of wondered about this, especially when I notice some people never seem to get a bad roll especially when it counts (while my bad luck of course carries over into uniwar as well ). Why wouldn't the game sync per move, or have actions performed by the server? I guess that would be big architecture changes. Oh well, still a great game.
J.C.

J.C.

You can do this trick as you wish, but the "luck" associated to each turn doesn't change. They don't get bad rolls because they know how to play

(and of course avoid attacks when they get bad rolls)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 12, 2013 00:56

Test my maps:
1-on-1
ColdestPlace - Tiny Desert - SkyAndSand

3-on-3
DeadFlower
David

4-on-4
BasesGaloreXL6
BasesGaloreXL7
zgar

zgar

J.C. wrote: You can do this trick as you wish, but the "luck" associated to each turn doesn't change. They don't get bad rolls because they know how to play

(and of course avoid attacks when they get bad rolls)

You're missing the point which someone who plays this game enough to want to exploit this (or someone smart enough to see that it's exploitable) wouldn't... and obviously it affords some advantage or no one would bother to do it. Anyway, I'm not referring to 'roll' in this context in terms of damage/gang up/strategy etc. I'm talking about roll as in positive/negative deviation from the average damage. If you know the order your attacks are seeded you could base your turn according to it.

So for example if you knew you were targeting a couple of units or were chaining some attacks... If two units each needed one attack to kill, only one is a guaranteed kill regardless of bad luck and one requires you to not do less damage than expected, someone not exploiting this would go into it blindly and couldn't call a redo. Someone exploiting this could see that maybe the 2nd attack did less damage, and redo the round so that lower damage roll is used against a guaranteed kill.

This also all but guarantees someone would never leave a 1hp unit at the end of a round. Actually, depending on if the random is seeded per game or per turn, someone could see that their last couple of attacks were bunk and decide to leave them for their opponent to open the round with. A little extreme of an example, but certainly not hard to see ways to use this type of thing to an unfair advantage.
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

This is why many of us would like a 'no random' option for competitive play. Random is fun but not when it leads to an advantage for one player or tedious play for both. Until then you have to agree beforehand whether you are playing 'best move' or 'first move', and by default it's the honor system on 'first move'.

That said I do like being able to undo finger fumbles. I don't want to either lose or win a good game that we've invested a lot of time in because someone fat fingered it. Unfortunately it's not really possible to have both a decent undo system for errors and a consistent random attack / fog of war system without a lot of confirmation prompts ("are you sure you want to make this move?")
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

zgar wrote: If you know the order your attacks are seeded you could base your turn according to it.

The randoms are assigned to the unit. order means nothing to that.

But.. its ofc possible to get other gangupbonuses and not attack if you dont kill etc

And i dont know why each move is uploaded to the server, but id guess it has something to do with the traffic to the server and perhaps that they dont want a phonegame to be reliant on a constant open connection.. Signals is often lost when on the subway etc Would be very annoying to not be able to do your whole turn..

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 13, 2013 11:22

[Email]
zgar

zgar

simsverd wrote:
  zgar wrote: If you know the order your attacks are seeded you could base your turn according to it.

The randoms are assigned to the unit. order means nothing to that.

But.. its ofc possible to get other gangupbonuses and not attack if you dont kill etc

And i dont know why each move is uploaded to the server, but id guess it has something to do with the traffic to the server and perhaps that they dont want a phonegame to be reliant on a constant open connection.. Signals is often lost when on the subway etc Would be very annoying to not be able to do your whole turn..

Ahh, thank you for the further explanation. Per unit randoms help this a lot, and I would guess signal related issues would complicate things quite a bit. Any easily implemented solution I can think of offhand which doesn't rely on an open connection would still have ways to get around it or too many potential negatives. Anyway, thank you again and thank you for Uniwar. It is an awesome game.
[Avatar]
StarryBlink

[Avatar]
StarryBlink

Actually if you really want, you can exploit a lot from undo the turn.
Just for fog of war alone, you can cheat a lot.
Example, teleport all your mecha or throwing all your jeeps behind the enemy line and restart.

That's why I don't want the redo function.
I want to support developers more.
But it should be in another honorable ways.

I think it would be help if we restrict only 1 account per user.
Then if players want to redo their turn, they have to uninstall/re-install the game.

And connect to server every a single move should be relevant for tournament games.
But it's too much for everyday's playing.
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

StarryBlink wrote:
I think it would be help if we restrict only 1 account per user.
Then if players want to redo their turn, they have to uninstall/re-install the game.

not needed to do that.. clearing the data cache will do the trick.

And how do you prevent players from having multiple accounts. It will not be enough to block users creating new ones at device level (wich they are with limit of 3 i think).
Its quite normal to have more than 1 phone (one for work and one private), and a tablet, and a version on an emulator (bluestacks) for example..

The limited effort that the developers can put into the game is naturally related to how the game can attract and keep users best, and ofc be profitable enough to pay for servers and continued development... in that perspective it might not be the best solution to put all effort into make a perfectly fair game in all regards...
...but i will ask them why they are not uploading each move to the server...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 14, 2013 11:02

[Email]
mayfly99

mayfly99

It seems to me you could prevent the reply turn exploit (without move by move messaging) by sending a unique id to the client at beginning of turn. Keep the id in non persistent storage. If they reset they will have to request a new id for that turn. If they do this twice (or some reasonable limit for crashes), disqualify them in that game.
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

If nothing else, you might be able to affordably report a count of apparent resets in move playback, so the other player would know. E.g. "Turn was initiated 4 times" (counter on server is set the first time a move is made in a particular match.)
Forum Index » General Discussion