[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Winning vs Saps on Heavy Terrain Maps
Forum Index » Khraleans
zgar

zgar

I'm having trouble finding an effective strategy for khral vs sap on maps which are mostly forest and mountains. Any thoughts?
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

It's hard because it is indeed a favorable matchup for sap. Experiment with the right mix of ants (for protecting infectors and fighting marines), infectors (maybe more than you have been trying), and Garuda, with maybe slightly fewer swarmers since marines on forest/mountain are tougher (but the odd swarmer is always important for tactical/finishing flexibility, e.g. to (hopefully) ensure two Garudas plus swarmer can finish a heli when you do decide to surge forward in attack.) Probably the most common error in KvS is not playing good defense and trying to be too aggressive, especially hanging Garuda (leaving them vulnerable to an attack for which you cannot extract equivalent or better material gains in retaliation). Saps are happy to sit back and watch you extend yourself, then snack on Garuda to get some material gain, and heal helis at their leisure. Of course they are also happy to bounce helis off defenseless underlings, so it's not an easy match. If you can delay exchanges and build up more units, you'll be better able to protect infectors (or wyrms, although they are less useful on heavy terrain) and make threats with them (including the new ranged plague – which is much more impactful once saps has built up a larger army).
zgar

zgar

Thanks waxoid, that's good advice that I'll have to try out. I hadn't been building multiple infestors too often because they get one shotted by helis and saps are so good at chained attacks but it's worth the risk. Thanks again.
[Avatar]
StarryBlink

[Avatar]
StarryBlink

It's more difficult than the opposite direction.

** The key point is to eliminate all marines. **
If all marines are dead or severely wounded, heli can be kill easily by garudas + swarmers.
For me I rely most on swarmers. Use them to weak all marines in the battlefield.
Then garudas can finish marines without taking much damage.

After you can survive and collect more than 10 swarmers,
it's not look like a place for sap anymore.

[Avatar]
PurpleLlama

[Avatar]
PurpleLlama

I just finished a heavy mountainous game with a sap. my key strategy was to think outside of the box and grab his bases before he could. Underlings have soaring mobility, so getting there was quite easy. once I had the upper hand, I stuck my foot in the door with a couple pinzers and swarmers and he surrendered. It only lasted 10 rounds.
[Avatar]
StarryBlink

[Avatar]
StarryBlink

Be careful to use pinzer rush against experienced sap players.
They will wait patiently, let your pinzer come to the gate.
And quietly collect copters behind the battle line.
After they can collect 3 copters.
They will send a sacrificed marine or jeep to bonus their copters.
Then their 3 copters will slay your pinzer turn by turn.

Though sometimes the pinzer rush tactic is work.
But it's not that easy.
You have to be alert for the number of copters you see, or don't see.

Forum Index » Khraleans