[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Fighting buried underlings
Forum Index » Titans
drquicksilve

drquicksilve

So what do you do if your opponent goes completely mad with the buried underling strategy? Just keeps pouring them out at you until you're surrounded by them?

I try to build a couple of plasma tanks and a bunch of assimilators and try to arrange it so he can't kill all the assimilators too quickly, but I'm not convinced it works all that well...
rolando

rolando

I haven't come across that situation yet, but you may be better off building mechas or speeders since they are much cheaper and have assimilators behind in case the buried underlings do come up. It would probably be case-by case though.

magic molly

magic molly

I consider it like a cross between minesweeper and whackamole. Use the ability to see how many buried units are adjacent to one of your units (select it, but cancel any move/repair window) and try to figure out where the things are. Then get a unit on them. If you can't cover all of them, or are not sure, just make sure that they can't get the full gang-up bonus (one infront, one behind).

Assimilators are good if you can keep them covered, but are often not worth the cost in such a dangerous environment. (often, they get killed before making any captures) If there are mountains, try to get mechas controlling all of them. Other than that, speeders are better than plasma tanks in the short run, but it really depends on how many there are. If you can, get eyes on all of his bases. This is also where speeders are good, as they can see farther.
gaarder

gaarder

If you know your opponent is producing mass underlings for the purpose of burying underground you should use this knowledge to your advantage:

Build cheap units and station at places to stop them from resurfacing
Set up 1-2 assimilators that are well protected to transform some of these underlings to your side (of course some baiting is required)
Use your teleporting units to cover up spaces not accessible by moving alone
Anonymous

Anonymous
With assimilators.. They can be killed in one shot on regular terrain but on bases you need more that one resurfaced khralean to kill them. So leave them on a base (or good terrain if you can) and teleport wounded units back to them. Don't leave them open in the field though.

Also, for gosh sakes, dont build walkers if he's got a lot of buried units. You're just asking for it. Walkers are a khraleans best friend anyway since it's so easy for them to take them out with ants, garudas and especially swarmers.. Save those for the sapiens or other titans.
[Avatar]
_jnc_

[Avatar]
_jnc_

magic molly wrote: I consider it like a cross between minesweeper and whackamole.

That's a very good way to put it. If I remember correctly there will be some changes in the update (if it will ever see the light of day ), so the minesweeper "minigame" would cease to exist. Not sure I remember it well though.

Luckily I've never come across someone spamming underlings; controlling two-three of them is usually not a problem, just don't forget to check their location each turn.
rebelxt

rebelxt

drquicksilve, just saw this thread after we played a game. i've also tried surrounding my support and heavy units with mechas, and playing defensively, but it still doesn't work well against underling spam. 2 or 3 buried underlings with terrain bonus take out a plasma tank easily.. once there are 10+ underlings all over enemy units, it becomes too hard for titans to figure out where exactly the buried units are and try to cover them.
Anonymous

Anonymous
Does anyone else think that the attack bonus for burried underlings is far too high? It often combines with terrain and gangup bonuses to make these suprise attacks unbalanced. I have players in my games just turtling up and spamming burried underlings forever.
lion37

lion37

The best way to fight burried underlings if you are playing Titans is to capture a few of them and then use the captured underlings to create a "roadblock" that prevents the opponent from sending out any more. This obviously only works on some maps where there are chokepoints.

Underlings are only a threat if you make yourself too vulnerable. Against walkers they're deadly, against plasma tanks not so much.

I do think they should lose 1 point per round for every time they're under a heavy unit. I have the feeling that's how it's supposed to work now but in practice they each only seem to lose 1 point once and then never again. That would be one way of weakening them.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 26, 2009 16:37

magic molly

magic molly

Anonymous wrote: Does anyone else think that the attack bonus for burried underlings is far too high? It often combines with terrain and gangup bonuses to make these suprise attacks unbalanced. I have players in my games just turtling up and spamming burried underlings forever.

Not really. Just play it smart, and you're fine. If they control the mountains/forests then you're screwed, but on open terrain they rarely hit more than 1-3 points. I believe they get 3 heavy attack, plus 3 resurface, and usually plus 2, though if you're stupid, 3 gang up bonus. That's only 7, versus the defense of 14 of the plasma tank. Also, that sort of attack hurts them really bad too. Against speeders or eclipses they'll do more damage, but still get hurt themselves. The whole deal really depends on how big the map is.
rebelxt

rebelxt

Well, a quick update on titans vs buried underling spam strategy..

I was pretty much invincible on Hurtgen Forest but Ismael managed to prove me wrong by beating me with titans. His strategy was the same as other top player's (slow defensive build-up with mechas as meat shields, and always keeping my underlings covered and in danger of getting assimilated), but noone managed to actually execute this plan perfectly before. I could post a mid game screen shot if anyone is interested..
trogdor

trogdor

rebelxt wrote: I could post a mid game screen shot if anyone is interested..

Please
[Avatar]
aLoN

[Avatar]
aLoN

i will be happy to show you how to do it with titans.
i got a strategie that is making titans unbeatble agains khrals on almost every single map.

just invite me if you like and you will see..
rebelxt

rebelxt

trogdor wrote:
  rebelxt wrote: I could post a mid game screen shot if anyone is interested..

Please

Here you go.

Forum Index » Titans