[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
unfair tournaments winnigs by stretch time solution
Forum Index » New Feature Request
[Avatar]
Invul

[Avatar]
Invul

One more thing about future of Uniwar. I like what u do for tournaments, rating reforms and so on, Thank U. But I wanna ask u to think about avoiding unfair winnings in tournaments' games with help of some tricks: Simsverds' algorythm of autodetecting winner is pretty good, but it sometimes fails because of stretching time in games with more good position. My solution is implementing new type of time-control - time for full game, not for move, like it's done in Chess. For example 7days(it may be 5 days or something else) for entire game to the each players. If time runs out - it's deafeat. So absolute majority of games will be ended in surrending of one of the players or with capturing all bases. Also all games will be ended in 2 weeks of round. And here Simsverds' determining_winner_algorythm works perfectly. I think it's the best solution of current situation. It's pretty violently but effective and fair measure.
[Avatar]
Fetheryhorse

[Avatar]
Fetheryhorse

Ya if it has an option for that and an option to not have a timer at all

Want to make $$$ fast? Just get a computer open something to type and hit shift 7 3times and you get $$$-feth
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

Invul wrote:One more thing about future of Uniwar. I like what u do for tournaments, rating reforms and so on, Thank U. But I wanna ask u to think about avoiding unfair winnings in tournaments' games with help of some tricks: Simsverds' algorythm of autodetecting winner is pretty good, but it sometimes fails because of stretching time in games with more good position. My solution is implementing new type of time-control - time for full game, not for move, like it's done in Chess. For example 7days(it may be 5 days or something else) for entire game to the each players. If time runs out - it's deafeat. So absolute majority of games will be ended in surrending of one of the players or with capturing all bases. Also all games will be ended in 2 weeks of round. And here Simsverds' determining_winner_algorythm works perfectly. I think it's the best solution of current situation. It's pretty violently but effective and fair measure.

Hello Invul, and thx for feedback and suggestion.

I dont think your idea is so hard to do tecnically... but i fear that it will not work so well as it does in chess. In chess the 2 opponents are physically in the same place.. but it uniwar they are very often on very different timezones. To exemplify: I live in Norway and am 9 hrs ahead of Xavi wich lives on the westcoast of USA. Knowing this will allow me to possibly abuse a system of time-quota if i play my turn right after he goes to sleep... It then become a game where 1 or more players try to manipulate their opponents time-quota.

The problem is mostly related to non-mirror matches, because in mirror both players/teams had the same opportunities.

I have thought some on possibly penalizing the value of an automatic decided (unfinished) game - to give an incentive to play it fast enough to end normal. The problem is not solved by this suggestion either...it will just switch wich player has something to gain to drag out the game.

The only viable solution i see atm is to force as many rounds as possible:
- 1 day first turn/12 hrs turns after that
- enough time pr round (for example 2 weeks 1:1, 3 weeks for 2:2 etc)
- possibly introduce autoskip as a (tourney) feature

This will not solve all problems, but will be a good tradeoff on how automated tourneys can work well.
There will have to be set a time-limit, and there will always be a possibility that not all games are finished on that time

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
BloodyHarry

BloodyHarry

There is another problem: the winner of matches, where none of the opponent's bases were captured, is the player, who has more units killed. This could lead to the situation, that the player, who does the last turn before the end of the tournament wins, as the opponent isn't able to react. So the outcome of these matches might not reflect the true situation at the end.
Forum Index » New Feature Request