[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Maps for tournaments
Forum Index » Tournaments
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

In this post we want your feedback and ideas on wich types and specific maps to be used in the tournaments.

Tourney maps should ofc be fun to play on, and should meet the following criteria:
- Tactical diversity: multiple tactisc possible
- Dynamic: to force action rather than turtling
- Balanced for all races: obviously...
- Map not to big: to reduce ammount of runds it takes to play out normal

It would be ideal to meet all these criteria, but the most important issue is to have the map contribute to a normal win with 12 hr turns an 10 days rounds. This apply especially to tourneys with 256/512 players wich use up to 9 rounds to complete (more than 3 months).
This will some times mean that a map that is not 100% fair and have 90% of the games finish normally is better for the tourney system than a perfectly balanced map that only give 60% finish normally (and then is decided by automation). With mirror matches in the championships map/race imbalances are negated since both players/teams had the same opportunities.
Automation of unfinished games is an important part of the tourney system, but is preferably only needed in fewer of the matches.

Usually we use 3 maps in each tourney, but that number is not fixed.. it could be 1 or 5 also.. but 3 maps give some diversity without making it to complex, so thats what we currently are planning for.

Do you have map suggestions for the upcoming tourneys?
July championships?
August championships?
September championchips?
Others?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 16, 2015 20:05

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
[Avatar]
rwieczor84

[Avatar]
rwieczor84

From last tourneys this maps was in my opinion bad:
Champ. June - Uniwar Skirmish V4 - i hadn't play it but i thing that both bases are located in Khral favor.
Champ. April - HavocPitTourney - unbalanced.
Infected - Dark Forest - very long distance between both players and river. Not good choice.

I think it's not bad idea to take good and fair maps from past tourney and play them again in next tourneys.
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

rwieczor84 wrote:From last tourneys this maps was in my opinion bad:
Champ. June - Uniwar Skirmish V4 - i hadn't play it but i thing that both bases are located in Khral favor.
Champ. April - HavocPitTourney - unbalanced.
Infected - Dark Forest - very long distance between both players and river. Not good choice.

I think it's not bad idea to take good and fair maps from past tourney and play them again in next tourneys.

Yes. Its ofc possible to re-use maps from previous tourneys

Uniwar skirmish V4 plays very well in my opinion, and it should not be possible for khral to take both upper and lower neutral bases. If you think so please invite and try it (i have tested the map several times with such things in mind).
HavocPit : yes a little to unbalanced, but with mirror it works ok for the tourney.
Dark forest: agree totally. I made an updated version after the first time wich improved on this

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
[Avatar]
volf

[Avatar]
volf

I like the map anraukhan (think thats how its spelled) the omega maps are fun as well.
[Avatar]
Red Five

[Avatar]
Red Five

Please consider the map Cave Springs by Zedobbo.

This map is fun, well-balanced, and can be played many different ways.
Slrig007

Slrig007

Thx
saiberblade

saiberblade

can my map be tourney map?ex:ancient hill or fortified hill?
charclo

charclo

Hi,
I don't like 2 kinds of maps :
- tic tac toe maps, with multiple starting options and where you don't know how opponent(s) started.
- High early game randomness maps. I remember a KvK map, opponent killed a garuda with 2 of them, I couldn't do it in mirror game.

I would gladly give my opinion on maps if asked. Maybe submit some maps (6?) to a poll before tournament ?

Charclo.
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

Do the maps have to be rated to be used in a tournament?

I've played some nice maps in random ranked that i have since discovered are now unrated.

Android 9. Samsung Galaxy A50
[Avatar]
LkASr

[Avatar]
LkASr

My Uprising map was controversial for you guys :/

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 11, 2017 02:33

Never surrender when you still have the chance.
"I have achieved navel superiority" -myself 2017
All the good stuff [WoT Generals Beta Tester, Uniwar Beta Tester, Vainglory Hero Suggestions List Contributor]
Come look at my profile for more info
Kohtar

Kohtar

As I said it was an excellent tournament map but a poor rated map. It's fun to play but some matchups are badly unbalanced.
Bigface11

Bigface11

Hey guys,

Love seeing my maps being used for the upcoming 2v2 tournament. Really cool!

I did, however, want to point out the unbalance of the current version of wilted wasteland (first round map). I don't know how you have that version to be honest, since I updated it a while back. But, my current update of the map is much better. With the way the starting player gets money now in team games, I had to move some of the bases around to prevent sapien cars from getting an early advantage.

Really excited to see how the new units play on these maps!
--Bigface
Forum Index » Tournaments