[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
maximum online games
Forum Index » General Discussion
Famine

Famine

Any chance that the maximum number of online games (is it 10 or 12?) will be increased. I am finding that some games with 24 hour period take forever to complete because each player is taking a day, while only a handful go more quickly. I have not yet been able to find a balance, but I think being able to join more games would help!

Thoughts?
rolando

rolando

The current maximum is 20. We are considering an increase in the future.
Anonymous

Anonymous
20 seems like a lot, but when 10 of those people have dropped out entirely and another 5 or 6 are only making one or two moves a day it really does fill up fast. I find I have to maintain three accounts just to find a few games that actually move a little.
rolando

rolando

Personally I've had about 6 - 10 games in rotation in my list for the past month. I am usually playing with the same people and sometimes their friends and it's worked out for me. So whenever one of my games ends we start another one. I prefer games that are 12-hour or 1-day so I can check in every day or so.

Though if I did have time to play a few hours straight I would have some 10-minute games going on.

The problem is when you don't have a ground of friends to play with (online or real.) If you're going against strangers the dropout ratio is really, really high so to get 6-10 games in rotation that play through to a satisfying conclusion you need to start or join two or three times as many. It gets better when you're higher ranked of course and when you make some friends but the solution shouldn't be to only play against people you know (how do you get to know them or new people if you don't play a lot of others for the first time?)

Of course 10 minute games are an option, and 1 hour too, but I can only play on breaks so I often have to disappear for a few hours. I have one account for each race plus another for random games. They're all generally full and out of those 60-80(!) games I'm happy when I have a handful that actually work out.

nixoncc

nixoncc

I recommend an increase. I typically have 15+ 12 hour games or so and like to play in 5-10 3 or 10 minute games. I think people will quit regardless of how many games they are in. With the new features to skip turns and kick players - this should mitigate the problem. Also people lose points if they are kicked - although I believe you should lose points regardless of when you are kicked. I.E. if the opponent doesn't move and you have to wait for them to be skipped twice before you kick them - the scores do not change. In my book - I wasted my time and this should be a loss for them that is reflected in the ratings.

-Nixon
Anonymous

Anonymous
The problem has actually gotten worse since they started forcing you to skip turns when the other player dropped out. Now it's much more of a pain in the butt to clear games where the other one dropped out and these games fill up slots on your list much longer.
magic molly

magic molly

I find inviting people for 5-6 of my games, selecting 10-12 of my games and team games (mix of invite/non) keeps me with plenty of turns to make.
Forum Index » General Discussion