[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Tournament Damage Formula Suggustion.
Forum Index » New Feature Request
[Avatar]
Shadowntr

[Avatar]
Shadowntr

Hello,

last June I was listening in global chat to a few high ranking players (Talone, Earth, ect.) argue and complain that the current method of determining winners in unfinished tournament games is unfair. While I do not fully grasp the current method for determining winners, ( I have simply not made it a concern of mine to study the rules) I have gathered that the biggest complaint people make concerning the current system is that tournament contestants can easily manipulate the match timer to win an otherwise unfavorable game. Then a question occured to me. If Uniwar decides damage outcome and rated point allotment via mathematical formulas, would not determining match winners be a good idea as well? I realize I am far from being a high ranking player (my score is in the mid 1900s). And that therefore my ideas are very likely subject to balance errors. But my reasoning on how the formula might work is as follows.

Each turn set (A set starts at the beginning of a player's turn and ends at the start of his next turn, so a set includes the opponent's turn as well) is split into two parts. The players turn, and the opponents turn.
I will refer to these as Subset 1 ( Player's turn) and Subset 2 (opponent's turn).

In Subset 1 a player is awarded points for every amount of damage done to each individual enemy unit. This is done by the equation [(Price of unit/10) * number of HP the unit was damaged]. The damage equation is repeated for each attack a player makes on his opponent. The first time the damageequation is calculated in a turn it will be referred to as X1, the second time it will be referred to as X2, and so on.
In Subset 1 a player gains points gains points for units healed as well via a simlar equation to the damage equation. [(Price of unit/10)*number of HP healed]. This equation is repeated for each unit that is healed in Subset 1. The first time this equation is calculated in a turn it will be referred to as H1, the second time it will be referred to as H2, and so on.
Finally, in Subset 1 a player is awarded points for every base he possess at the start of his turn. These points are determined this way: [(Base credit income for match) * number of bases owned]
To summarize Point income in Subset 1. The Total formula would look like this:

{[(Price of unit/10)*Number of HP the unit was damaged] + [X2] +[X3]+[...]+[(Price of unit/10)*number of HP healed] + [H2] + [H3] + [...] + [(Base credit income for match) * # of owned bases]

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 10, 2016 18:17

The word philosophy sounds high-minded, but it simply means the love of wisdom. If you love something, you don't just read about it; you hug it, you mess with it, you play with it, you argue with it.

- Hugh Jackman

[WWW]
[Avatar]
Shadowntr

[Avatar]
Shadowntr

Subset two is then calculated during the opponents turn and the total points from Subset 2 are subtracted from the total of points from Subset 1.

Subset two is simply the damage formula in subset 1 repeated again. [(Unit cost/10)*Damage taken in opponent turn] + [X2] + [X3] + [...]]

So, in the end, the final formula would look like this.

{[[(Price of unit/10)*Number of HP the unit was damaged] + [X2] +[X3]+[...]+[(Price of unit/10)*number of HP healed] + [H2] + [H3] + [...] + [(Base credit income for match) * number of bases owned at beginning of turn]] - [(Unit cost/10)*Damage taken in opponent turn] + [X2] + [X3] + [...]]}

Each player would have one of these calculations going at the same time for them. So each person would have thier own unique sets and subsets. The person at the end of the match with the most points from thier own calculation wins the tournament match.

Keep in mind this formula is far from perfect. And if implemented will definitely need a lot of work to tweek it into something usable. If you have any suggestions. Please throw them out there.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 10, 2016 18:19

The word philosophy sounds high-minded, but it simply means the love of wisdom. If you love something, you don't just read about it; you hug it, you mess with it, you play with it, you argue with it.

- Hugh Jackman

[WWW]
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

how will this change manipulating time with is the biggest problem now? In an unfair matchup a player will still have an incentive to play one game faster then the other... with this formula he will play as fast as he can with the game he is winning and as slow as possible in the game he is losing...

...and i really believe that the system will have to be understandable , a complex formula might not meet that criteria so well....

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
[Avatar]
waxoid

[Avatar]
waxoid

change mirror map mechanism so that you cannot submit a move in one game without simultaneously moving in the other? i.e. one timer shown in both games, if you submit in one it shows this to you but will not actually switch timer to the other player until you submit in the 2nd.

you guys have probably discussed all this in the chat forums already, I can't keep up ...
Forum Index » New Feature Request