[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Board Game: Professional Version
Forum Index » General Discussion
mistercreepy

mistercreepy

So the first high-quality prototype arrived today! It looks so cool, I'm really stoked. Link to full album here (http://imgur.com/a/45FFq), hopefully the images embedded below will work.

Pretty sure that the fact these are super off center is on the production side, I'm going to contact the company to ask about a reprint or refund.

Design challenges that still exist: damage calculation, buried underlings, hit points. A new design challenge is apparent: in order to have fully interchangeable terrain hexes the board itself is not that stable. Lots of possible solutions exist, but I need something economical and easily reproducible. So some kind of felt board, or magnets, or really anything that isn't cardboard only, won't work. I'm thinking of a game board that has a basic outline of plains hexes on it, plus tiles like these for special terrain features, is the best bet. For more details on these design challenges check my other post.

http://forum.uniwar.com/posts/list/2236.page

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 06, 2016 08:09

[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

I still think just have a marker on the underling that denotes it is underground.

If you're looking for a potential way to have the hidden thing work, look at the system used in "Clue: the great museum caper"

The thief tracks their movement on a piece of paper hidden to the other players. They can move two spots a turn, but each turn must be recorded on this paper. It relies on the thief being trustworthy of course.

I think you're better off just having everyone know where the underling is.

As for damage, on paper simple is best.

I wouldn't try to recreate the games damage formula personally. I would just add in simple modifiers to make up difference in cost.

So normalize attack stats for all of the tank units:
10 damage to GL +1d6 - defense (including terrain modifier).

If you normalize defense values of infantry to 5ish, then the tanks would AVERAGE 8 damage to infantry on plain tile, and 6 on a mountain. Well, that's probably a tick too high so maybe either increase base defense or offense.

Then to differentiate plasma Pinzer and tank:
Tanks can't attack air, but are of course cheaper. Still, they need something extra. So maybe they can reroll their attack roll.

Pinzers maybe just leave the same.

Plasmas get +1 to their damage roll (so they're effectively 11 instead of 10, but I think remembering the rule versus a different stat might be easier? Not sure )

That's just one interaction, but I think that's the best way.

As far as tracking damage, do you have a system for that in place ?

I hope these ideas are a bit helpful ... Just my thoughts of course

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 06, 2016 15:14

[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

In other news.. That looks friggin amazing!!!

even with the drawings off center, it kind of just gives it a 3D look. Truly lovely.
[Avatar]
TheDragon

[Avatar]
TheDragon

What is the size of ground hexes? smaller makes for more hazzardous play.

I've the travel version of Hive and while a game fits on most table tops it's a challenge keeping tiles put especially when playing with my younger grand kids

The difference between the 1" travel tiles and the 1.5" table top (regular) tyles is significant in stability.

...The game of life is too short to be taken seriously...

Teams (Members)
2v Dragon Cheese - (Cheese, TheDragon)
3v bawwy Kwipke - (Kelwynish, Rikb, TheDragon) Retired: Lost Socks the Abyss - (onedirtrider, TheDragon, Mentalist)
4v Plush Pinzers II (Cheese, SnakPak, TheDragon Copeab) Retired: Plush Pinzers - (Thomas K., copeab, TheDragon, Cheese)
[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

The board looks amazing!
[Avatar]
xavi

[Avatar]
xavi

That looks great! I love it

-= The UniWar Team =-
[Email]
mdambra

mdambra

I started play testing a Uniwar Board Game I put together as well. I'm trying out having the terrain modifiers on the map itself. So far it's pretty fun but of course has way more variability than the actual game. I'm working on a way to simplify it so it's easier for non Uniwar players to learn. I'll post my files soon so others can print their own copies.

[Avatar]
LkASr

[Avatar]
LkASr

for the buried lings, I suggest making them in chips, so that way they can go under units if the situation calls for it

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 18, 2016 10:20

Never surrender when you still have the chance.
"I have achieved navel superiority" -myself 2017
All the good stuff [WoT Generals Beta Tester, Uniwar Beta Tester, Vainglory Hero Suggestions List Contributor]
Come look at my profile for more info
[Avatar]
cmbaptist

[Avatar]
cmbaptist

Uhhh guys there already is a rl version of this game... it's called warhammer 40k. Same exact thing only not played with a board. I used to play as a kid, very similar.

Psalms 100:5 For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.
[Avatar]
TheDragon

[Avatar]
TheDragon

cmbaptist wrote:Uhhh guys there already is a rl version of this game... it's called warhammer 40k. Same exact thing only not played with a board. I used to play as a kid, very similar.

W40k a very different game, I've played it. This is uniwar

...The game of life is too short to be taken seriously...

Teams (Members)
2v Dragon Cheese - (Cheese, TheDragon)
3v bawwy Kwipke - (Kelwynish, Rikb, TheDragon) Retired: Lost Socks the Abyss - (onedirtrider, TheDragon, Mentalist)
4v Plush Pinzers II (Cheese, SnakPak, TheDragon Copeab) Retired: Plush Pinzers - (Thomas K., copeab, TheDragon, Cheese)
mdambra

mdambra

I agree with The Dragon. Warhammer 40k is totally different. In 40k, you roll to see if your unit hits, then the defending unit rolls to see if they block it. If they block, no damage is dealt, if not they die. Uniwar is also unique in that the attacking and defending players both deal damage to each other. The only other game that's close is Advance Wars on the Gameboy and Nintendo DS. But no board games that are close that I know of.

LkASr, to keep it simple, when an Underling buries, we just take it off it's stand and lay it flat. Less pieces that way.
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

im impressed! very nice

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
mdambra

mdambra

I first created my version to be very true to UniWar. Each unit had 10 HP, we rolled D20s for each HP, used the complex damage calculation with modifiers, etc. The only problem is, no one I know (in real life) plays UniWar. So everyone I played with was learning it for the first time and they all complained that the game was way too complicated. I realized that if we want to use a UniWar board game as a way to introduce people to UniWar, then we need to make it super simple. This may not be popular with people who are UniWar purists, but everyone seems to like it so far.

Here are the changes I made to make it much more simple:
-Units only start with 5HP
-D8s instead of D20s (defense stats are divided by 2.5 and rounded and attack stats are +10 divided by 2.5 and rounded)
-Roll 1 D8 per HP of each unit (take attackers strength minus defenders defense score to find the roll requirement. eg. A Marauder (Ground Light Attack 7) attacking a Marine (Defense 2) needs to roll a 5 or less on their D8s. While the variability is high, the averages are very similar to the real UniWar attack averages.
-No Aquatic units
-Only small maps
-Mobility stats are all multiplied by 2/3 and rounded (for units and terrain). eg. Marine's mobility is now 6, Tank is 5. All terrain uses either 2, 3 or 4 mobility.
-Terrain modifiers are simplified
-Gang up bonus is simplified (first two attackers against a unit are normal, the third and on get +1 attack)
-Assimilators and Infectors UV and Plague are modified for balance
-Units roll a D8 to attempt a repair. Units that had a 1 repair need a 4 or lower while units that had a 2 need a 7 or lower.

Here are the stats:

I'm constantly making updates the more I play it. I encourage everyone else to also print out their own and try it out.
mdambra

mdambra

Here are some of the files to print your own:

Unit Stats: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_8253Czkn3RQnRSb1N1a1hXWlU
Units: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_8253Czkn3ReGNaZEg4R2trZUE
Terrain, Modifiers, and Terrain Hexes to make your own maps: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_8253Czkn3ReXQ0aTJVSFJSR28

I made these in MS Word and they don't appear to be converting over to Google docs too well.

Here are all the files as PDFs:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_8253Czkn3RNFNua3JJQUgwMGs
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_8253Czkn3RZExZRzl6WjFDSEk
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_8253Czkn3Rcnp2b0RkU0Jkb0k

Please feel free to edit/change/improve upon/etc.

If you create any new maps, please post them here so we can try them out.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 23, 2016 04:48

[Avatar]
xavi

[Avatar]
xavi

This is awesome to see & read Thank you for sharing the pictures.

As a reminder all the game assets are available in high resolution at this URL:

http://www.uniwar.com/assets/game/index.html

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 01, 2016 22:57

-= The UniWar Team =-
[Email]
Forum Index » General Discussion