[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
New Type of Support Unit
Forum Index » New Feature Request
Eikonoklastes

Eikonoklastes

This may either prove to be a great idea or a horrible one and since I'm a relatively inexperienced player, I would definitely like to hear the opinion of veteran players. I have no idea how the units specifications would work, but the basic idea would be to have a unit that functions as an amplifier/multiplier of base credits per turn. This is how it would work: The unit would be positioned on a base and once there the player could choose to activate its credit boosting ability. This ability would ONLY amplify the number of credit received from the base it is placed on. So if the credits per base is 100, then that base would produce 200 credit. If you were in control of four bases at 100 credits per base and had one amplifier, then three bases would produce 100 credit each and the fourth base would produce 200 credits for a total of 500 credits.

I believe the above idea is fairly straightforward, so here comes the more complicated elements. As you may have surmised from the above, the increase in credits does come at the expense of unit production. In other words, any base being amplified by this unit cannot produce units for combat. To make this a bit more challenging (this IS a strategy game after all), I think that activating this unit should come with a cost or penalty. This is probably the most complicated aspect of this unit; that once activated the user loses control of the unit for 3-5 rounds (we would need to settle on a specific number, but something in the 3-5 range would probably be best). Here is how it would work: Should a player choose to activate this unit in a game where the bases are worth 100 credits each, he or she would get 200 credits out of that base for three turns or until that unit is destroyed. This player would then have to activate the unit again once the third round has passes (at this point there is no cool down period); however, once activated the player loses all control over the unit until the third round has passed. This means if the player's opponent launches a deviating attack and the player findshim/herself in dire need of units, this player will only have the non-amplified bases to work with. The core idea here is to make this unit one in which careful planning is essential. Yes, it can provide a credit boost and thus allow players to unleash more powerful units more quickly, but if used at the wrong time it could also result in a quick and decisive defeat.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 07, 2016 19:34

[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

I actually like your idea a lot. I really like the drawbacks you listed as well, AND I think this could make a very good Khra or Titan unit.

So, the first modification I would make is that instead of this unit doubling the income of the base, I would have it be that the base makes 125%. So if a base made 100, instead it would make 125. If it made 50, it would make 63 instead. Etc.

I imagine this unit costing in the 75-150 range, so this way it'll take a while before you're making a profit.. But I think that's probably for the best for balance. This unit in this way clearly supports a turtle strategy.

Alternatively, you could make it provide a one turn boost of credits. Say it costs 100, and can be sacrificed on a base the next turn to produce 200. This would give a specific race a means for producing a larger number of stronger units more quickly than the other races. At the cost of time, though, allowing the other races to turtle (T) or attack (S or K). So I think it could work this way as well.

It might be better however to introduce this unit as part of a new race, since additional credits/turn over another player should probably be balanced into a race from the start...
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

Btw the biggest problem is with the giant map variety. Some maps have 10 bases per side with 4-5 bases hidden in back that are nigh impossible to reach. If you could park 4-5 of these onto those hidden bases you lose nothing in ability to produce and gain tons of resources.

Meanwhile you have maps with only two bases where you may need both to produce. So this unit may be totally unusable.

That's the problem as is. Making it a one off buff could fix that though, but would need extensive testing and balancing and what have you
Forum Index » New Feature Request