[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
What to do if teammates are playing terribly
Forum Index » General Discussion
lion37

lion37

I would like to ask this forum for some advice.

I am currently involved in 2 team matches (with 6 players in each game) where one of my team mates in each of the games is playing horribly. It almost looks like he is losing on purpose for some unknown reason.
In both cases the team mate is rated above 1600, so these are not brand new players.

Just to be clear, they are not just playing badly, they seem to be making every possible wrong move and helping out the opponents team.

My inclination is to simply surrender in the games, but it annoys me to lose points and have everyone else gain points. What should I do? Any advice would be appreciated.
nlb149

nlb149

Don't surrender because if this guy is working with the other team as soon as you surrender they could offer peace and he won't lose any points. Wait it out and see if they intentionally don't take his bases to eliminate him and if they are obviously keeping him alive you can report them. You are going to lose points either way but at least you can find out for sure.
ahbritto

ahbritto

What good would reporting anyone do? Creating accounts is trivial.

It would be nice if you could add players to an automatic ban list for your future games.

Ban players would not be able to join games you are in. And you would not see games they are in when looking at the open games list.
nlb149

nlb149

true but if they are concerned enough about their ranking that they set up fixed games then getting their accounts banned or whatever the Uniwar team might do would probably upset them and even if nothing comes of reporting them at least you could warn others not to join their games and know for sure they are cheating.

I agree it would be nice to have a ban player list to keep from playing with people you didn't like playing with for whatever reason. Who is really going to remember the names of every player they play against?

The Uniwar team isn't going to do anything. I doubt they'd ban anyone unless they found a way to hack the server or something. Besides it's your words against the players you suspect and it's pretty tough to prove that they're intentionally throwing the game (and if they are, I don't know of any actual rule they're breaking.)

This is a common problem in every multiplayer game, including online gambling rooms where they have a vested interest in shutting this kind of thing down, as well as games like WOW where people team up to ninja loot etc., and it's really tough to detect and prove.

I'd just surrender and walk away, and remember their names so you don't play them again. You'll have to eat the ratings loss but who cares? It's ridiculously easy to inflate your rating (look at all the people at the top of the board with 150+ wins and less than 10 losses; you don't get that without using some sort of exploit.) It really doesn't mean anything and I'd just concentrate on playing for the fun of the actual game.

Play unrated 8-way games, you might have better luck finding people who just want a good game. Or try to set up games here on the forums and do it through invites so you're more likely to get quality players. Just my opinion, as someone who's seen it all (and a lot worse) in multiplayer games through the years.
Anonymous

Anonymous
Add players you enjoy playing to your friends list. Play them in preference. Avoid playing people you don't enjoy playing with. The end.

PS It would be nice to have an 'anti friends' list. If it gave you an 'are you sure?' message if you tried to join a game with them, even nicer.
[Avatar]
Gargoyle

[Avatar]
Gargoyle

I agree. It took about six weeks, but I have a robust Friend list with people I truly enjoy playing with/against. And my Friend list grows as I join (or am invited to) games hosted by my Friends and meet THEIR Friends. I hardly ever have to join a game with people I don't know anymore (although sometimes I will if the game looks interesting enough).

If your teammates are REALLY terrible, invite them to a game where they are on the OPPOSING team...
magic molly

magic molly

The idea for a list of players who cannot join (or even see) games you make would be awesome.
Forum Index » General Discussion