[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
A 'social' forum section
Forum Index » How to make the uniwar.com website better
[Avatar]
TheDragon

[Avatar]
TheDragon

Most gaming forums I belong to have a 'social' section for the users to discuss the rest of our world (not involved with the game)

I've seen some interesting discussions in the chat and could also get more traffic going here on the forums (and the best part we wouldn't lose it over time like everything in the chat.)

...The game of life is too short to be taken seriously...

Teams (Members)
2v Dragon Cheese - (Cheese, TheDragon)
3v bawwy Kwipke - (Kelwynish, Rikb, TheDragon) Retired: Lost Socks the Abyss - (onedirtrider, TheDragon, Mentalist)
4v Plush Pinzers II (Cheese, SnakPak, TheDragon Copeab) Retired: Plush Pinzers - (Thomas K., copeab, TheDragon, Cheese)
[Avatar]
TheDragon

[Avatar]
TheDragon

This is actually needed as we are now starting to clutter up the main discussion page with non uniwar (or semi uniwar) related stuff.

BTW thanks for the spam chat channel, hopefully we can keep the main less cluttered with non uniwar related stuff (it's a hope)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 07, 2016 12:19

Teams (Members)
3v bawwy Kwipke - (Kelwynish, Rikb, TheDragon) Retired: Lost Socks the Abyss - (onedirtrider, TheDragon, Mentalist)
4v Plush Pinzers II (Cheese, SnakPak, TheDragon Copeab) Retired: Plush Pinzers - (Thomas K., copeab, TheDragon, Cheese)
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

TheDragon wrote:This is actually needed as we are now starting to clutter up the main discussion page with non uniwar (or semi uniwar) related stuff)

I have no idea what you're talking about
Eikonoklastes

Eikonoklastes

Spending some time to revamp the forums would be a good idea, and so too would be creating a "social" forum section. Admittedly, the forums do not get much use as many players are content to confine their conversations to in game chat. That being said, I believe this could change radically once the web-based version of the game goes live. Those who play games via apps are used to checking in constantly and jumping into conversations. Those who prefer to use a computer will probably be a bit slower when it comes to taking turns, and there is a good chance that they will prefer using the forums to converse with others than using the in-game chat. Typing on a phone is cumbersome and often annoying due to typos and other irritants, whereas typing on a keyboard allows for not only quick communication, but also more in depth communication. I'm also guessing that the demographics of the players using the web version of the game will skew older (closer to TheDragons end of the spectrum than my own [I'm in my thirties]), and I have found that this group (despite numerous outliers) tends to avoid app-based communication.

Hope this makes some sense. I'm still recovering from the flu, so my cognitive abilities are a little off.
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

Eikonoklastes wrote:Spending some time to revamp the forums would be a good idea, and so too would be creating a "social" forum section. Admittedly, the forums do not get much use as many players are content to confine their conversations to in game chat. That being said, I believe this could change radically once the web-based version of the game goes live. Those who play games via apps are used to checking in constantly and jumping into conversations. Those who prefer to use a computer will probably be a bit slower when it comes to taking turns, and there is a good chance that they will prefer using the forums to converse with others than using the in-game chat. Typing on a phone is cumbersome and often annoying due to typos and other irritants, whereas typing on a keyboard allows for not only quick communication, but also more in depth communication. I'm also guessing that the demographics of the players using the web version of the game will skew older (closer to TheDragons end of the spectrum than my own [I'm in my thirties]), and I have found that this group (despite numerous outliers) tends to avoid app-based communication.

Hope this makes some sense. I'm still recovering from the flu, so my cognitive abilities are a little off.

Unfortunately,. You are not making any sense at all

We will have to euthanize you... But know that we do so with great love... And while we will cheer as the swarm of garudas rips you to shreds, they will in part be cheers of sadness.

RELEASE THE SWARM!!!

*grabs popcorn*

*cracks open a beer*

Now this.... This is living !

(But no your post makes perfect sense. And I agree. But now I also want to watch you being hunted by flying dragons)
[Avatar]
TheDragon

[Avatar]
TheDragon

Eikonoklastes wrote:Spending some time to revamp the forums would be a good idea, and so too would be creating a "social" forum section. Admittedly, the forums do not get much use as many players are content to confine their conversations to in game chat. That being said, I believe this could change radically once the web-based version of the game goes live. Those who play games via apps are used to checking in constantly and jumping into conversations. Those who prefer to use a computer will probably be a bit slower when it comes to taking turns, and there is a good chance that they will prefer using the forums to converse with others than using the in-game chat. Typing on a phone is cumbersome and often annoying due to typos and other irritants, whereas typing on a keyboard allows for not only quick communication, but also more in depth communication. I'm also guessing that the demographics of the players using the web version of the game will skew older (closer to TheDragons end of the spectrum than my own [I'm in my thirties]), and I have found that this group (despite numerous outliers) tends to avoid app-based communication.

I for one can't wait for a proper pc version where I can actually type what I mean to, Actually see the battle on a proper screen (not a pocket version) etc.

While the chat is 'nice' how many key pieces of informantion is lost to time or must be reiterated every week or 2?

But like a car with an old battery we need to also jump start this forum. A social section and those few of us currently on directing traffic here) will help do just that.

Teams (Members)
Eikonoklastes

Eikonoklastes

I for one can't wait for a proper pc version where I can actually type what I mean to, Actually see the battle on a proper screen (not a pocket version) etc.

While the chat is 'nice' how many key pieces of informantion is lost to time or must be reiterated every week or 2?

But like a car with an old battery we need to also jump start this forum. A social section and those few of us currently on directing traffic here) will help do just that.

I also hate playing on a tiny screen. Part of the reason I take so long to take my turn is that I hate playing on my phone. I'll generally wait until I have access to my tablet, and sometimes that could be a 8-12 hour wait. Since I have access to computers and no one monitors my usage, having a web-based version would allow me to engage more with the game.

Along with adding a social section to the forum, we might want to consider adding the equivalent of the "spam" channel. Admittedly, there would be a lot of overlap, but it might help to further organize the content on the forum. Assuming that the forums do grow more popular, I think it might be wise to add one or two additional moderators. They would not only need to keep an eye out for inappropriate content, but also keep the various threads in check. We have a number of potentially useful threads, but they sometimes get hijacked by tangential thoughts. Sometimes these threads are able to "right" themselves and head in their designated direction, but sometimes they are pulled so far off-keel that a potentially useful discussion becomes lost/destroyed. What constitutes something being completely off-topic is, of course, a judgment call, but a little active guidance in this arena could make a huge difference. There could even be a locked off portion of the forum where off-topic content that doesn't belong in other sections can be sequestered for a limited amount of time (i.e., 30 days).

Please note that these thoughts were generated while under the protection of old school, high-powered bug zappers. Who knew they were equally effective against dragons?
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

I was like ... Bug zappers ... Wth he talking about??? Hah :p darned attention deficit

Do we need these new sections prior to web release? I think the 'recent' button should ensure people notice new posts regardless of section currently... So spreading things out shouldn't hurt at all I imagine

That cookies thing is def #1 on my list anyway
Forum Index » How to make the uniwar.com website better