[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Create Missions and Tell a Story
Forum Index » General Discussion
Eikonoklastes

Eikonoklastes

With the recent changes made to the map editor, I'm hoping that some of the more creative members of our community might be open to a sort of challenge. The idea is to create a sort of mini-campaign using a series of related maps, perhaps 5-10 in total, to tell stories of the struggles between the Sapiens, Khraleans, and Titans. These stories do not have to use all three races. For example, perhaps an underdog story of the Khraleans barely pushing back the Titans on a distant moon. You would need to label the maps accordingly (e.g., X-Mission 01) so that other players can find them an proceed with the story. We could even have more detailed story elements here on the forums so that as each mission is completed, the player hops onto the forum to learn what arose from his/her success (Unless, of course, we can convince Xavi to add a feature to map creation that allows a brief story to appear at the end of the mission).

This is a VERY rough idea, and probably one that I will not be able to embark upon. Why? Because I have never been good at either designing maps or telling stories. That being said, do not hesitate to collaborate with others. Perhaps you have an interesting idea for a story and simply need someone to help you make it a reality. Or maybe you are a great mapmaker in need of some inspiration. Try seeking each other out and see what you can accomplish together.
[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

I'd like do it, however, how can I tell a story if the notes section is barely 3 lines long?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 28, 2016 02:54

[Avatar]
miamimoose

[Avatar]
miamimoose

Check my maps for short story ideas minus my "pick conquer vote moose" what I've typed is maxed out in room but allows enough space as you'll see to get a plot across Have fun with it. Adds a whole new dimension to the battle
[Avatar]
miamimoose

[Avatar]
miamimoose

Eikon, great idea especially with new campaign features...I'm down and will try out a few ideas myself Thanks for the motivation of seeing an alike mind on the subject
[Avatar]
TheDragon

[Avatar]
TheDragon

I was waiting for some feedback from Xavi on what he'd like to see in mission maps (he did post something to that effect on general chat) but have not heard anything from him just yet about it. He has been busy getting all the newest stuff out.

What would our player base like to see in a mission

Tough? Challenging? Mission Impossible?

I was also waiting for a responce as to the AI difficulty ratings. Is it mearly credits per base or something more?

...The game of life is too short to be taken seriously...

Teams (Members)
2v Dragon Cheese - (Cheese, TheDragon)
3v bawwy Kwipke - (Kelwynish, Rikb, TheDragon) Retired: Lost Socks the Abyss - (onedirtrider, TheDragon, Mentalist)
4v Plush Pinzers II (Cheese, SnakPak, TheDragon Copeab) Retired: Plush Pinzers - (Thomas K., copeab, TheDragon, Cheese)
[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

miamimoose wrote:Check my maps for short story ideas minus my "pick conquer vote moose" what I've typed is maxed out in room but allows enough space as you'll see to get a plot across Have fun with it. Adds a whole new dimension to the battle

They're good, yes, but not enough to make a series of maps. Just writing a short setting takes up almost all of the notes.

BlueCheese

BlueCheese

I guess you could use forum topics to tell your story? When a player wins/fails the level the forum topic tells them what happens and where to go. Maybe put a link to the topic in map notes?

Example:

Map name:
_

Mission Briefing/Story:
Blah Blah Blah...

(Go back to uniwar to play map)

Result:

Win:
(Go to this link which contains ending 1 and subsequent missions)

Lose:
(Link to ending 2 and subsequent missions)
BlueCheese

BlueCheese

I already got a idea ready, I just don't think I should make it public unless... someone was interested?
[Avatar]
xavi

[Avatar]
xavi

I can increase the size of the map notes. (The limit is artificial) I can easily add a prologue & epilogue message to show the player if needed. Just ask

-= The UniWar Team =-
[Email]
[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

Please?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 28, 2016 19:04

[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

xavi wrote:I can increase the size of the map notes. (The limit is artificial) I can easily add a prologue & epilogue message to show the player if needed. Just ask

Yes. bigger map notes.

There is need to update the tutorial information given in the map editor.
Also perhaps a "pop-up" saying (example) "Locking race will make the map a mission".
There should also be visible change of icon and name in the mapeditor when a map no longer is a map...

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
Forum Index » General Discussion