[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Using Missions to Teach Others
Forum Index » General Discussion
Eikonoklastes

Eikonoklastes

While creating my story telling post, I had another idea regarding the expanded map editor. There are a number of you who enjoy helping and training others (yes, these people do, in fact exist). Furthermore, you know the sorts of scenarios that tend to stymie less experienced players. Do you think it would be possible to create some maps solely for training purposes? For example, arrange both sides of a battle to recreate a specific issue/challenge so players can practice overcoming it? This could be expanded to have them solve problem scenarios within a fixed number of rounds. Admittedly, this may be difficult given the current limitations of the AI, but I'm curious to know what others think.
[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

I'd want a camoagin maker so that I could make a version of my unifanfiction
mistercreepy

mistercreepy

That's a great idea. I wonder the best way to do this... First step though is clearly to get uniwar running on bluestacks, ain't gonna do this tap tap tapping
nindatana

nindatana

Apercent wrote:I'd want a camoagin maker so that I could make a version of my unifanfiction

Meaning ability to drop a bookmark during a game that says "save game's current state" and then go back to that game later and replay against computer or a different player? Or publish to server as a scenario game?

Sounds like a great idea!
[Avatar]
TheDragon

[Avatar]
TheDragon

Theres an issue with the current AI logic though that wouldn't help 'teach' good tactics.

If you pick any map with lots of bases and ports and turn fog off you'll watch the AI choose ports over bases EVERY time. For a newbie this is a great handycapper for them. To anyone with a bit of skill it's a cake walk. I'm not sure how a teaching senario could be set up if the counter AI's (or team AI's ) use such behavior.

Also AI will attack at all costs suiciding when stepping back to a healing pad and attacing with full unit behind would have been better.

...The game of life is too short to be taken seriously...

Teams (Members)
2v Dragon Cheese - (Cheese, TheDragon)
3v bawwy Kwipke - (Kelwynish, Rikb, TheDragon) Retired: Lost Socks the Abyss - (onedirtrider, TheDragon, Mentalist)
4v Plush Pinzers II (Cheese, SnakPak, TheDragon Copeab) Retired: Plush Pinzers - (Thomas K., copeab, TheDragon, Cheese)
[Avatar]
TheDragon

[Avatar]
TheDragon

nindatana wrote:
  Apercent wrote:I'd want a camoagin maker so that I could make a version of my unifanfiction

Meaning ability to drop a bookmark during a game that says "save game's current state" and then go back to that game later and replay against computer or a different player? Or publish to server as a scenario game?

Sounds like a great idea!

Awesome idea. Would be great for a vet/training post game recap to actually revisit the game at a critical point

Would also make Archive spots have a dual puprpose Completed games and games in progress

[edit]
Or even better be able to launch a game from play back point to the point that was the issue.

i.e. Game Player B makes a bad attack/purchase on turn 4. Durring play back Player A sees this and can then launch the tutorial game/recap at the beginning of turn 4 for Player B to then show a better choice to make.

Relaunched games would have to default to unrated and would have to be agreed on by all players involved (unless AIs are used)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 28, 2016 13:04

[Avatar]
xavi

[Avatar]
xavi

I will verify the bug that you report about the AI focus on harbors instead of base. If it is the case, then it will be fixed very soon.

-= The UniWar Team =-
[Email]
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

xavi wrote:I will verify the bug that you report about the AI focus on harbors instead of base. If it is the case, then it will be fixed very soon.

Its not that it takes the harbor instead of a normal base... it seems to have equal priority - wich ofc they should not. They should not cap any harbours as long as there are neutral bases not taken

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 29, 2016 07:51

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
mistercreepy

mistercreepy

I think that the training missions are not to play against the AI, but rather to set up a scenario in which the expert player will know that it is impossible to lose with the right approach but the novice will not know this. I dunno how to set this up. But I'm thinking something like how swarmers are better than garuda, but novices don't realize this.
[Avatar]
TheDragon

[Avatar]
TheDragon

simsverd wrote:
  xavi wrote:I will verify the bug that you report about the AI focus on harbors instead of base. If it is the case, then it will be fixed very soon.

Its not that it takes the harbor instead of a normal base... it seems to have equal priority - wich ofc they should not. They should not cap any harbours as long as there are neutral bases not taken

Pick any map with opening choices of nutral base or port in range of starting units (recomend 6-8 mp with fog off) and you'll see the bots go for ports most of the time (not 50/50)

I had assumed that it was part of the beginner AI to give new players a chance as they learn the game. As we advanced along it would be nice to have a smarter AI (one that picked bases first and would probably heal vs suicide units)

Teams (Members)
3v bawwy Kwipke - (Kelwynish, Rikb, TheDragon) Retired: Lost Socks the Abyss - (onedirtrider, TheDragon, Mentalist)
4v Plush Pinzers II (Cheese, SnakPak, TheDragon Copeab) Retired: Plush Pinzers - (Thomas K., copeab, TheDragon, Cheese)
[Avatar]
TheDragon

[Avatar]
TheDragon

@ sims and Xavi

you want a good example. Miamimoose mentioned in a map test of Covenant he wondered how it would work as a FFA map (it's set up so player 1 & 2 are the generals of the 2 four man teams so a six way team game with leaders supporting all 3 fingers. Interesting consept and an interesting play test.

BUT I gave it a test to see how bad it was for players 1 and 2 (being scattered next to former teammates now enemies) in a FFA test. I was actually able to survive long enough because the bots went for ports instead of bases. Hell by turn 11 there were still several nutral bases surrounded by ports, battles over ports ect on a starvation styled map.

Test yourself. Run his Covenant as a FFA with fog off and watch the bots go port crazy with budgets of 1-200 credits.

Teams (Members)
Forum Index » General Discussion