[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Pre-Game Staging Area For Team Games
Forum Index » New Feature Request
Do you think there should be a staging area for team games
Yes 33% [ 1 ]
Just for tourneys 33% [ 1 ]
Just for random 0% [ 0 ]
No 33% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3
drumstep

drumstep

This is an idea that came to me from one of the team tourney games I'm playing right now. As it is now, team members select a race in the team profile, and then need to use that race for all games they play. Of course, the top tournament teams adjust their race choices to fit the map prior to each round, but even this has limitations, especially in random. For instance, the ideal race combination and positioning may be different for team one and team two. In the tourney, I would have liked to be krahls in the game where I was on team 1, but saps were better for my position if I was on team 2. Things get even worse when you start considering random games where you have no idea what kind of situation the map will put you in. The arrangement you picked for a tourney may be at a complete disadvantage on the map you get, which I can see being a huge turn away from rated team games.

So that's the problem. Thankfully there is a solution that i think should be fairly easy to implement, namely allowing each team to view the map and select races before each game. This could be accomplished by having the game show up like an invite in the games list instead of starting on it's own. Then each player looks at the map and discusses with their team using the new pre-game chat feature before selecting which races to play as. To be even more fair, it could be made so that you can't see what the other team has picked until the game has started, although I'm not sure how much work this would be seeing as we don't even have a hidden choice option for 1v1 invites.

So that's the idea. Vote and feel free to comment with any additional thoughts or ideas.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 03, 2016 20:42

[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

Some thoughts;

Do you think that this would make random ranked too not random? Perhaps it will. Still a good idea for Tournaments though.
drumstep

drumstep

Apercent wrote:Do you think that this would make random ranked too not random? Perhaps it will. Still a good idea for Tournaments though.

Thanks for the response. I considered that, but the map and opponent are still random, and you can select your race for solo random anyway. To me team games are about communicating and working with your teammates, and this just adds another level. It's really frustrating to be in the middle of a game and get to a point where you're thinking "If I had a speeder instead of a swarmer my teammate could cap that base on his turn," especially when if you were able to look at the map beforehand you definitely would have picked titans.

It would also simplify the rating process for team maps so they don't have to do rate by matchup since everyone could pick what they think works best. In a 4v4 game there are 6561 possible matchups

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Apr 03, 2016 21:28

Forum Index » New Feature Request