[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
End Game additions
Forum Index » New Feature Request
Interested ?
Interested 88% [ 7 ]
In love 13% [ 1 ]
Not interested 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

Speaking with some other players, it sounds as if many Uniwar players feel "bored" when a game is dragged out and heads towards a "build up" type scenario - where each side masses up units until they run out of room, and then finally mash them into one another.

I agree that this can be very tedious, and I also agree that this is mostly driven by "non-dynamic" maps which are predisposed to this build up.

I also think, however, that with some tweaks to game play these longer more drawn out games COULD be entertaining, fun, and filled with strategy.

This post is intended to spur a discussion regarding end game content within Uniwar (round 30 and beyond, at least):

- are there other factors besides maps causing build up? If so, what are they, and what can be done to mitigate these factors without upsetting balance.

- what are some fun, easy to implement options NOW for making build up games more fun?

- what are long term things that could be added to make things more fun later in the game?

- anything else anyone would like to discuss!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 04, 2016 15:15

[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

First:

By race matchup:

SvK - I think in general the longer games here favor the S player currently.

TvS - longer games absolutely favor T

KvT - longer games seem to be pretty balanced, but eventually T will usually have the advantage (depending on map)

Proposition based upon this:
Starting on round 35:
1) Plague can no longer be removed by repairing. This will give K a huge weapon in KvS matches, but shouldn't end the match. This will encourage the S player to try to end the game before 35 turns which should keep the action moving even on those build up maps. I hope.

2) after 35 rounds Walkers range becomes 2-3, but they can move and attack same turn. This will encourage the Titans player to try to move their column forward early to take advantage of range 5... And if they are unable it will make their turtling unnecessary and whatnot.
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

Another alternative is a kill box. It could be that any unit on the outermost hex of the map takes 4 damage each turn starting at round 30. Then at round 35 the next hex in also is dealt 4 damage. And so on every 5 rounds.

I don't know what sort of coding this would require. But this would FORCE people to move toward conflict, which can be a very good solution to a stale mate.

Exact kill box parameters could ideally be set when a map is made.
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

A longer distance solution is more units / colossal units. Some type of end game unit that changes the way races function.

Alternatively adding in "research" projects as an alternative way to spend credits, especially if they were geared towards preventing stale mates could be very useful ...
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

Research projects:

Teleport has no Cooldown, AND a unit can ATTACK (NOT MOVE) after teleporting! Lotta hit and run

Speeders or plasma tanks gain teleport

Wyrms or infectors gain bury

Improved plague (more damage, affects Titans, can't be cured, increased range, all of the above

Marines can't be targeted by ranged attacks

Batteries gain a second action (ideally with lower overall damage)

EMP can be used after moving / EMP has increased range

Walkers can move and attack same turn

Blast damage on artillery units

Additional mobility for tank / Pinzer / plasma

And anything else under the sun

These should be time gated, and have substantial cost .. Have to decide between MORE units or BETTER units.... And if your opponent notices it may give them an opportunity to attack. Ideally some of these projects would provide the player with an ability to attack.

That's my thoughts for today!

[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

How about research? Like races that can research new technology
EVR1022

EVR1022

Duaneski wrote:First:

By race matchup:

KvT - longer games seem to be pretty balanced, but eventually T will usually have the advantage (depending on map)

Starting on round 35:
1) Plague can no longer be removed by repairing. This will give K a huge weapon in KvS matches, but shouldn't end the match. This will encourage the S player to try to end the game before 35 turns which should keep the action moving even on those build up maps. I hope.

2) after 35 rounds Walkers range becomes 2-3, but they can move and attack same turn. This will encourage the Titans player to try to move their column forward early to take advantage of range 5... And if they are unable it will make their turtling unnecessary and whatnot.

I disagree on your assessments of TvS (the most balanced in a long game) and KvT (usually favors K, sometimes by a lot).

As far as solutions:

A) Perhaps each base could produce only a finite amount of credits (say, 2000c per base or something in that ballpark).
B) Set a limit on how many credits worth of units can be on the board at the same time for each player.
C) I like the idea of a capital ship class unit for each race to aid in break throughs in late game scenarios. It would have to be very expensive, very slow, and capable of dealing big damage to tank-class units from long range. Could be based on the Carrier / Battlecruiser / Guardian units from Starcraft.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 04, 2016 19:30

[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

EVR1022 wrote:
  Duaneski wrote:First:

By race matchup:

Starting on round 35:

I disagree on your assessments of TvS (the most balanced in a long game) and KvT (usually favors K, sometimes by a lot).

As far as solutions:

A) Perhaps each base could produce only a finite amount of credits (say, 2000c per base or something in that ballpark).
B) Set a limit on how many credits worth of units can be on the board at the same time for each player.
C) I like the idea of a capital ship class unit for each race to aid in break throughs in late game scenarios. It would have to be very expensive, very slow, and capable of dealing big damage to tank-class units from long range. Could be based on the Carrier / Battlecruiser / Guardian units from Starcraft.

While I now feel totally out of touch with reality, I'm excited to hear mention of those Starcraft units because I LOVE all of them !
EVR1022

EVR1022

Haha, Sapien vs Titan can favor Titans big time if the Sapien doesn't know the proper procedure for breaking a plasma tank front line. But once you learn that it becomes a pretty even match.

Titans vs Khralaens it's all about the underlings. If there is any favorable terrain near the middle of the map they can effectively create a 'no-fly-zone' for Titans. Which doesn't mean they can break through, but should give them at least a draw in most circumstances and a win when they can find a way to break through.
[Avatar]
LkASr

[Avatar]
LkASr

I like the research idea, but how about:

instead of solely buying on credits, research takes time and it'll only be faster if there are more bases you own, let's say 1 base you own that isn't close to an enemy base will decrease research time by 1 round, that way research cost is cheaper to do, but timing would be more significant.

Never surrender when you still have the chance.
"I have achieved navel superiority" -myself 2017
All the good stuff [WoT Generals Beta Tester, Uniwar Beta Tester, Vainglory Hero Suggestions List Contributor]
Come look at my profile for more info
amidama

amidama

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 17, 2016 22:43

Hakumen
amidama

amidama

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 17, 2016 22:43

Hakumen
[Avatar]
StarryBlink

[Avatar]
StarryBlink

Typically, maps prone to become stalemate are maps with no neutral base at the center to compete for.
And have a vast space separating the two opponents.
In such maps there's no incentive for players to move forward to control more land.
Since those land ahead are just an empty area without capability to make profit in.

In the real war, kings & emperors wage war to take the land from the target countries.
After they get the land, they get resources attaching to it and become stronger than their enemies.

Thus, if we apply this into uniwar.
Make players who can control more area get more resource than players who just stay safe in their city.
Then uniwarriors may behave like an ambitious kings & emperors in the world.
Eager to drive an enemy out and conquer more & more land from enemy's territory.

** So, my idea is : an engineer of all races can build a solar cell. **

The solar cell can be install over all land tiles except base and naval base.
It cost 50 credit. But every turn it receive solar energy from the tiles around them, including water and base tile.
If each tile around them has no unit standing on, it get solar energy from that tile and produce 3 credit.
But if the adjacent tile has a unit standing above, it doesn't get the solar energy from that tile.

Thus, it capable of producing 0 (if there's no free space around it) to 18 (if tiles around it are completely clear) credit per turn.

The solar cell occupy space like all other units. Units cannot stand above it.
But it can't move. And it has no zone of control.
It has weak defense. Enemies can shoot at it to destroy. And get veteran point after destroying it.
Allies can also destroy it to clear the space. But no veteran point get from destroying ally's solar cell.
The damaged solar cell will produce less money according to its hp.

So, Whar the solar cell's idea is for?

It's simple. But will enhance players to move forward to control more area.
And when both players move forward to control more area, the encounter is promoted.

The players who control more area can find clear spots to place solar cells and get full of its capacity.
While players who retreat behind their city can build fewer solar cell. And its efficiency reduced since there're crowd of units around.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 05, 2016 05:52

Selexcis

Selexcis

I agree all maps should give incentive to control more land and more area.

I actually really like the solar cell idea. Only addition i will make is that instead of a solar cell, we can call it a borehole or geothermal outlet. Where if you end the turn with a support unit on it, you earn extra credits for the next turn if the support unit survives to the next turn.

In addition, I think a supply limit will force people to fight so that they can lose troops to replenish their supply limit.

There should be supply depots on the map which you can capture to increase your supply limit, hence capturing supply depots will becomes one of the contested hexes on the map. You cannot build supply depots but they are on the map.

So for instance, you start with a 1500 credit supply limit. And every depot you capture increases it by a further 1500 credits

What do you guys think?

amidama

amidama

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 17, 2016 22:42

Hakumen
Forum Index » New Feature Request