[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Impossibly low damage in tournament?
Forum Index » General Discussion
Selexcis

Messages: 26,
Joined: Mar 07, 2016,
Offline

Selexcis

Messages: 26,
Joined: Mar 07, 2016,
Offline
My 7 hp pinzer dealt only 1 damage to a 2 hp swarmer, both on plains.

Can someone explain to me how this is possible? even the uniwar calculator said the minimum damage should be 2.

This is just patently unfair.

drumstep

Messages: 103,
Joined: May 17, 2015,
Offline

drumstep

Messages: 103,
Joined: May 17, 2015,
Offline
I'm guessing you're using willingham's calculator. That one doesn't include the full range of possibilities, since the odds of one of them happening is just so darn low. The calculator on Google play by cytivrat does indicate there is a 1% chance of that result happening, which just means that you may be the unluckiest player I've encountered. My advice: if killing that swarmer is necessary to your strategy, undo turn and change your attack order so that astronomically bad roll lands somewhere else. Technically, any damage is possible, it's just that the odds are so low that it will probably never happen.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 05, 2016 01:17

Selexcis

Messages: 26,
Joined: Mar 07, 2016,
Offline

Selexcis

Messages: 26,
Joined: Mar 07, 2016,
Offline
unfortunately, the turn order requires i kill a unit first prior. I think damage ranges should be limited to 3 possible numbers, expected damage, below average, above average. having damage variations beyond that makes it just ridiculous to plan for and is counterintuitive to what makes uniwar fun
amidama

Messages: 312,
Joined: Dec 28, 2015,
Offline

amidama

Messages: 312,
Joined: Dec 28, 2015,
Offline
that would require the damage formula to be rewritten completely. and that will break the crrent balance, that is based on that formula.
do you think it worth it?

Hakumen
[Avatar]
legia

Messages: 109,
Joined: Jul 17, 2015,
Offline

[Avatar]
legia

Messages: 109,
Joined: Jul 17, 2015,
Offline
  Selexcis wrote:unfortunately, the turn order requires i kill a unit first prior. I think damage ranges should be limited to 3 possible numbers, expected damage, below average, above average. having damage variations beyond that makes it just ridiculous to plan for and is counterintuitive to what makes uniwar fun

I agree with you, damage variations is to big.

I am somekind of veteran here. Check my videos about UniWar on YouTube: LINK.
Playlist in English: LINK.


[Avatar]
simsverd

Messages: 921,
Joined: Dec 02, 2010,
Location: Bergen, Norway
Offline

[Avatar]
simsverd

Messages: 921,
Joined: Dec 02, 2010,
Location: Bergen, Norway
Offline
this isnt a bug.. but it would be ok to discuss the level of impact the random factor has

(moved it to general discussion)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 05, 2016 08:42


Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
Abie

Messages: 98,
Joined: Oct 16, 2015,
Offline

Abie

Messages: 98,
Joined: Oct 16, 2015,
Offline
  simsverd wrote:this isnt a bug.. but it would be ok to discuss the level of impact the random factor has

(moved it to general discussion)


How is this not a bug? I've noticed this myself as well in tournaments.

In the ongoing TvT tournament in the round I lost I had a speeder of mine attacked in my base by his speeder. It lost 4 life and his speeder just 3.

In the mirrored game, I tried the EXACT SAME MOVE. But I only took away 3 hp. So I was pisses off because it meant I couldn't kill his speeder. I then proceeded to try a different move. I was steamed at how he got mine and I couldn't get his.

Furthermore, I have noticed this in a lot of tournament games I've played. Especially in the early rounds.
tadpole

Messages: 3,
Joined: Apr 11, 2016,
Offline

tadpole

Messages: 3,
Joined: Apr 11, 2016,
Offline
  Abie wrote:
  simsverd wrote:this isnt a bug.. but it would be ok to discuss the level of impact the random factor has

(moved it to general discussion)


How is this not a bug? I've noticed this myself as well in tournaments.

In the ongoing TvT tournament in the round I lost I had a speeder of mine attacked in my base by his speeder. It lost 4 life and his speeder just 3.

In the mirrored game, I tried the EXACT SAME MOVE. But I only took away 3 hp. So I was pisses off because it meant I couldn't kill his speeder. I then proceeded to try a different move. I was steamed at how he got mine and I couldn't get his.

Furthermore, I have noticed this in a lot of tournament games I've played. Especially in the early rounds.


Both games in a mirrored tournament are seeded with the same random numbers. Something in your two games happened differently, and therefore when you tried the 'same move' you were using different rolls to calculate damage. Uniwar is based on a formula where each one of your units has a chance to hit the other unit. So your damage will be somewhere between 0 and the hp of your unit. You just didn't roll as high as they did, but the random numbers generated for your two games were the same. You just distributed them differently.
Abie

Messages: 98,
Joined: Oct 16, 2015,
Offline

Abie

Messages: 98,
Joined: Oct 16, 2015,
Offline
  tadpole wrote:
Both games in a mirrored tournament are seeded with the same random numbers. Something in your two games happened differently, and therefore when you tried the 'same move' you were using different rolls to calculate damage. Uniwar is based on a formula where each one of your units has a chance to hit the other unit. So your damage will be somewhere between 0 and the hp of your unit. You just didn't roll as high as they did, but the random numbers generated for your two games were the same. You just distributed them differently.



Interesting. Not sure if I get what you are saying 100%. Me and my opponent made identical moves for the first few moves. I tried to copy him. Then when he killed a speeder, I copied the order, but I didn't get the kill. I was very annoyed.
drumstep

Messages: 103,
Joined: May 17, 2015,
Offline

drumstep

Messages: 103,
Joined: May 17, 2015,
Offline
Are random roll strings the same between mirrored games? That somehow both makes sense and seems strange to me at the same time. Where did you hear that? Xavi, can you confirm please?
[Avatar]
TheDragon

Messages: 316,
Joined: Mar 07, 2015,
Location: New England, USA
Offline

[Avatar]
TheDragon

Messages: 316,
Joined: Mar 07, 2015,
Location: New England, USA
Offline
I'm guessing the random string is different per turn even on mirrored matches.

Some gamers like the randomness of dice rolling others don't (diplomacy for example has no dice rolling at all)

In uniwars it's a long string of number where each digit is a D10 roll (0-9). Some gamers (like me) just go with the dice rolls. Others, like earth, will repeat a turn many times to puzzle out the entire random string then attack in an order sequence to best utilize this random string. To me this is kinda like beating a dead horse but I understand the need for some for that optimum kill count.

...The game of life is too short to be taken seriously...

Teams (Members)
2v Dragon Cheese - (Cheese, TheDragon)
3v bawwy Kwipke - (Kelwynish, Rikb, TheDragon) Retired: Lost Socks the Abyss - (onedirtrider, TheDragon, Mentalist)
4v Plush Pinzers II (Cheese, SnakPak, TheDragon Copeab) Retired: Plush Pinzers - (Thomas K., copeab, TheDragon, Cheese)
Forum Index » General Discussion
Powered by JForum 2.1.9 © - 2020-04-14 v124 - UniWar website