[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
New abilities for support units
Forum Index » New Feature Request
Selexcis

Selexcis

I am making this suggestion to increase the variety of play styles and strategies seen. I believe improving support units functionality is important to make it viable to training them early, and seeing them more in team games (2v2, 3v3 ,4v4).

I think all support units should have 3 unique 'hurting abilities' when not allied against the 3 races, and 3 unique 'helping' abilities that help the 3 races when allied.

A simple example will be

Engineer -> increases attack strength of adjacent allied khralean units with steroids, when adjacent to titan, causes no mecha and eclipse stasis after teleport, when starting teleport adjacent to engineer, improves repair rates of sapien units

-> can reprogram hostile mecha, can sabotage marauders and tanks of hostile sapiens paralyzing their movement and repair for one turn (but not attack), can inject plague to one adjacent enemy khralean unit that takes 2 damage per turn instead and is transmissable after one turn has passed.

To do such a change maybe an increase in cost is needed, but as i see it, until you do you will hardly see support units in team games, and in certain match ups they will not appear early at all.

drumstep

drumstep

I like the idea of the support units being able to boost allies from other races in some way other than healing. Don't think the extra attack is necessary though.
amidama

amidama

it will add too much complezity to the game, and it will be hard to balance...
and it doesnt solve any existing problems.
it could be implemented, but i dont think that it will happen any soon.

Hakumen
[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

It's a nice thought though, even if it needs development
amidama

amidama

im not arguing this, it is nice

Hakumen
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

Interesting idea I like the thought of interactions with the team games

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 05, 2016 19:51

mistercreepy

mistercreepy

This is the kind of thing my board game can playtest very easily. But I sadly don't have any hard core uniwar dorks in Hong Kong...
Selexcis

Selexcis

I also had an additional thought.

At the moment support units are not really good unless they can repair enough of a friendly unit to justify the cost.

So typically getting a healthy unit is ALWAYS better than a support unit. And it takes a lot of damaged units to justify the support unit.

I had a thought that repair should be the action of the engineer, not the action of the unit.

it should repair 2 hp + base healing rate x 2 instead since.

a second engineer repairing the same unit will repair 2hp + base healing x 3 etc.

to balance this I propose that repairs can only be done if the engineer hasn't moved. This ensures engineers are in line of sight the previous turns so quick repairs can be anticipated.

The stronger healing means you can justify earlier engineers. It also means that damaged units can retreat and be repaired. It means that engineers have to be bought preemptively and placed preemptively. It also means that effective use of repair does NOT require a mass of support units that typically cannot be economically done in early or mid game, and certain match ups where almost all damage is lethal.

I will write more when I can.
Forum Index » New Feature Request