[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Dial 1-800-UNIWAR to make a donation
Forum Index » General Discussion
[Avatar]
_jnc_

[Avatar]
_jnc_

Have you also caught yourself thinking that Uniwar was your best spent Dollar ever? Well it happens to me from time to time, now I suddenly realised that this fact may become a problem: I imagine sales for Uniwar are not what they used to be, considering that everyone with an iPhone/touch with the slightest interest in TBS already bought the game. So I wonder what the Uniwar team's ideas are. Of course we will not be able to see your business plan, but are there hints? Do you consider bigger updates you will charge for? Uniwar 2?

Any solution that involves mandatory paying will not be approved by anyone who is used to get things for free, so charging monthly fees for example would terribly decrease the amount of players. But considering the countless hours I spent with this game, I would be very well prepared to donate a humble amount just to make sure the team has a motivation to keep improving the game.

Does anyone feel likewise or is it just me being too public spirited?
rebelxt

rebelxt

You are not alone as I thought about this too. For me this game was not only best 1$ game ever bought, but the best iphone game period (Galcon being close 2nd). However, not sure if uniwar team would be open to discussing their monetization plans on the forums.

They mentioned that the game is getting ported to other platforms, so number of players would greatly increase once this is done. Also, PSP/DS/etc users are used to a much higher price tag compared to iphone crowd. Also, opening it up as a flash game online could be a good move too. With the new in-app micro transaction system, Uniwar might consider charging for some add-on features (like game filter/search which many hardcore players would probably get).

How can we support uniwar to make sure that development continues and the game thrives?

- tell all your friends about uniwar. one of my friends is online chess junkie who stopped playing chess in favor of uniwar.
- buy other javaground games. when Pocket Gold came out, I bought it right away without even looking what it was about.
- yes i would also donate some extra money to support uniwar development
lorfje

lorfje

There is a lot of room for improvement for the game. I could readily imagine a sequel that would blow Uniwar I out of the water.

a) Better AI.
b) Better Campaign. Several times the program introduces new features by forcing you to try them in a totally stupid way. A bit loveless, it is as if the entire game left the developer cold.
c) Don't create a 'hard' level by giving more money per turn to the bot or other ways to bend the rules of the game. Make the bots play better, or if that's too difficult, give them a stronger starting position.
d) Less bugs. The program has many bugs.
e) A more coherent story-line (just like good artwork it makes for a more polished, pleasant game).
f) Many improvements in online play (as suggested on this forum).

Uniwar has a very nice online option, but for the rest Advance Wars on the Nintendo DS is still a good example of a higher quality game (more polish, bugfree) in this genre. It also had a sequel.

Building on the experience with the first game, the second could be quite a success, I think.
Anonymous

Anonymous
Their plan was to keep the price low to get lots of downloads and good reviews, then raise the price and cash in once the quality of the game is established. Then expand the property to other platforms and make it a phenomenon. Dunno how that's gone so far.

I do know I'd pay $5 for an expansion with a new, balanced unit each for each faction, once all the current bugs and balance issues are sorted.

You'd have to still be able to play people without the expansion though...
[Avatar]
_jnc_

[Avatar]
_jnc_

rebelxt wrote: They mentioned that the game is getting ported to other platforms, so number of players would greatly increase once this is done. Also, PSP/DS/etc users are used to a much higher price tag compared to iphone crowd.

You're right, the other platforms, I completely forgot about this part. It's been a long time since the announcement and we didn't hear anything since. Well let's hope they are making progress on the ports to keep the money flowing and the community growing.
magic molly

magic molly

However, a donations system couldn't hurt. I doubt it would take too long to set up.
[Avatar]
_jnc_

[Avatar]
_jnc_

We are still working at improving UniWar and also porting it to all other platforms so you will be able to play with all your friends. The Android version will be released to Google this week.
The UniWar Team

Just saw this on TA and felt happy but also a little betrayed.
Please devs post news like that on this forum too, we care about the game!

(Actually I care so much it's scaring me! What have I become )
[Avatar]
IzzyNobre

[Avatar]
IzzyNobre

I am an avid UniWar player and I too feel that it was by far the best dollar I spent in the AppStore, nay, in my life. I've been playing lots of multiplayer games with a whole bunch of buddies from twitter for the past week now, that's an unbelievable amount of entertainment value for a buck. I can barely get a cheeseburger for a dollar!

I would also have no qualms donating some money, if nothing else it would make the devs feel more appreciated and maybe compelled to improve the game more and more. Frequent updates are the cornerstone of a successful iPhone/iPod touch game. But of course, being the makers of Pocket God, they know that

I STRONGLY, VERY STRONGLY urge them to invest in the crossplatform model. I know they are releasing UniWar for Android phones and will allow those phones to play against iPhone owners, which is goddamned brilliant, but I think there's a step beyond that - what about a browser game?!

I have a little under 3 thousand followers on Twitter and I've been tweeting about UniWar constantly lately. A lot of people have bought the game because of me, and have been playing me on a regular basis, but there's also a large number of people who would LOVE to join in, but have no means of doing so because they don't have an iDevice.

This could be remedied by bringing a browser-based version of the game which also supported crossplatform gameplay. This would be absolutelly unparalleled in the gaming world - a full blown turn based strategy game for mobile devices which not only allow crosspatform online matches, but also lets people join in by playing on their browsers.

The potential for ad revenue alone there might rival all the sales UniWar has brought in. With all the positive word of mouth that this game has generated among people who don't have iPhones/iPod touches, I feel that the lack of a browser-based version of the game that could be played across platforms needs to be adressed.

I for one know that if a browser version of UniWar came out and those players could duke it out with us iPhone owners, I'd plug it shamelessly and tirelessly on my website/twitter constantly.
[Avatar]
Angkor

[Avatar]
Angkor

So I saw recently that a lot of people dig up old topics so I figured you'll like this one as well.
You're welcome.
The Impaler

The Impaler

its just keymatster... youre not helping ang...

Member of the balance team
Highest Score: 2685
Highest Rank: #4
Current Rank: N/A
Highest Championship Ranking: 4th
Highest Tournament Ranking: 4th
Current Record: 131W, 14D, 4L
Winner of Duaneski's mapmaker challenge
Winner of Angkor's 2v2 Grand mapmaking challenge
Winner of Lkasr's 3-Minute Tournament
[WWW]
Forum Index » General Discussion