[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Map Editor: Creating Map Vs Mission
Forum Index » User Generated Maps
[Avatar]
xavi

[Avatar]
xavi

Since v1.8.88, the online Map Editor allows to create MISSION instead of simple MAPS. Missions allow
- to place any units
- to use new objectives (Capture the flag & Survivor)
- and to assign specific races to players.

This thread is the place to ask any question related to the subject. In the future, we plan to enhance the Map Editor with triggers and conditions to allow the building of complex SCENARIO.

The editor allows to create MAP or MISSION. Here are the main differences:
- Map can be used in Ranked games but not Mission.
- Maps intend to be balanced and fair. For that reason, they offer less options.
- Missions allows you to assign a specific race for each player.
- Missions can have more objectives than Maps.

The editor automatically determines if you are creating a MAP or a MISSION based on the following criteria:
- Placing any unit other than the base units (Marine, Mecha & Underling) will change the Map into a Mission because other units have different costs based on the race.
- Assigning races to any players will change the Map into a Mission.
- Using any objectives other 'CAPTURE BASES' and 'DESTROY ENEMY' will change the Map into a Mission.

Today, I will give 10 free tokens to upload Map or Mission to all active players to encourage the discovery of the new Map Editor.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Apr 07, 2016 20:07

-= The UniWar Team =-
[Email]
[Avatar]
xavi

[Avatar]
xavi

How does 'Capture the flag' work?

This mode is fully functional. Currently, neutral bases act as the flag. Any player that captures a neutral bases will be declared the winner. There can be several neutral bases.

-= The UniWar Team =-
[Email]
[Avatar]
TheDragon

[Avatar]
TheDragon

xavi wrote:How does 'Capture the flag' work?

This mode is fully functional. Currently, neutral bases act as the flag. Any player that captures a neutral bases will be declared the winner. There can be several neutral bases.

So to clarify, you can't have a defend the flag game, just a race to the flag version of CTF.

This does open up the possiblity of 3-8 player CTF designs but kinda knocks out the traditional CTF consept.

Sadly it does gimp player one rather heavily as all bases used for basic game income must start in posession, hence the usuall start of one base and several with a grunt next to them can't be used in current CTF

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 07, 2016 22:49

...The game of life is too short to be taken seriously...

Teams (Members)
2v Dragon Cheese - (Cheese, TheDragon)
3v bawwy Kwipke - (Kelwynish, Rikb, TheDragon) Retired: Lost Socks the Abyss - (onedirtrider, TheDragon, Mentalist)
4v Plush Pinzers II (Cheese, SnakPak, TheDragon Copeab) Retired: Plush Pinzers - (Thomas K., copeab, TheDragon, Cheese)
void-maker

void-maker

Missions are only single player or not?
I have an idea of a coop mission, but I need to know if it's possible.
[Avatar]
TheDragon

[Avatar]
TheDragon

void-maker wrote:Missions are only single player or not?
I have an idea of a coop mission, but I need to know if it's possible.

From the beta testing stuff I've found ingame it looks like at least 2 player possible (I set p2 to bot to see how they worked)

I'm about to try a basic 3 or 6 player CTF map

Some more interesting info on bot behavior If no cover or bases in site they will build an infantry and then just sit endlessly on their basses until something comes into 'vision' range (found this out when testing a long skinny map that took 10 turns to cross)

While not the most logical aproach (same as they prefer capping ports over bases) it can be used to set up 'staged' defender senarios. (you set p4 up to loose his base hopelessly) then set P2 in a fighting stage and P3 as the reserve reactionary force.

Teams (Members)
3v bawwy Kwipke - (Kelwynish, Rikb, TheDragon) Retired: Lost Socks the Abyss - (onedirtrider, TheDragon, Mentalist)
4v Plush Pinzers II (Cheese, SnakPak, TheDragon Copeab) Retired: Plush Pinzers - (Thomas K., copeab, TheDragon, Cheese)
[Avatar]
TheDragon

[Avatar]
TheDragon

Sadly none in the beta test crew, or the few that have made CTF maps after release have understood how a CTF must be currently. ALL maps either have 'cap base' in defense position or (in at least 2 cases) several nutral bases under units to cap right away. This means player one wins game on first turn (in latter case) or the player with the fastest unit will win in 1-2 turns on the former.

Until we can designate target flag bases ALL CTF maps must be a race to a central nutral base. Also ALL point generating bases must be set AT THE BEGINNING. There is no staggered start, Player one is just out the income of starting bases so in reality is the last player on build options (unless a large starting credit unit is used then he's still behind by base credits.

Generic game setup must have nutral base (flag) in central region. Ideally close enough for all players that it must be fought over (i.e.) budgets and terrain should allow for a tough cap (no quick race).

[edit]
I've a first test run of a true CTF map up on my profile: Test CTF v1 Please give it a PvP testing to see if I need to change budgets or other items please message me.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 08, 2016 15:12

Teams (Members)
[Avatar]
TheDragon

[Avatar]
TheDragon

Wow, we are finding it extremely difficult to make a CTF map that's not an instant or easy win in two player. Too big and it's a titan win, too small and it's a player one win unless no starting budget then a player 2 win.

Duns has a 4 man team test we shall soon embark on and I'm gonna try a 3 or 6 man scramble version. See if those are more challenging.

So far my first test has made it to round 10 with the base still in contention but that last cap prevent of mine cost me a pretty penny in units.

Teams (Members)
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

TheDragon wrote:Wow, we are finding it extremely difficult to make a CTF map that's not an instant or easy win in two player. Too big and it's a titan win, too small and it's a player one win unless no starting budget then a player 2 win.

Duns has a 4 man team test we shall soon embark on and I'm gonna try a 3 or 6 man scramble version. See if those are more challenging.

So far my first test has made it to round 10 with the base still in contention but that last cap prevent of mine cost me a pretty penny in units.

Version 1.4 of my map is AWESOME so far for SvS... I'll be curious to see TvK and TvS... But I believe it will be very good in most matchups
mistercreepy

mistercreepy

What about survival? How does that work... Do both players win if it gets to the round limit?
[Avatar]
TheDragon

[Avatar]
TheDragon

I've not tested that. My guess is P1 needs to survive till time limit as they are the first to make it to that turn.

Teams (Members)
mistercreepy

mistercreepy

Ok there's officially a bug, in a map I made titled starship trooper survive, the win condition is set at twenty rounds. I was blue sapiens, I lost all my units around round 15. But I didn't lose, I kept ending my turn after no action, and at twenty rounds I was declared winner. No bases on the map at all. Odd.
Forum Index » User Generated Maps