[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Poll: How should undo work, once 'free undo' is disabled?
Forum Index » General Discussion
Which approach to handling turn undo do you prefer?
Keep paid undo the way it is 20% [ 3 ]
Remove all undo 0% [ 0 ]
Change turn undo to "action undo" 0% [ 0 ]
Permit free undo with delay or advertisements 53% [ 8 ]
Keep paid undo, but make undo a game option like FoW 13% [ 2 ]
Change turn undo to "action undo" AND restrict it to actions that did not reveal any new event units (incl. buried lings) 13% [ 2 ]
Keep paid undo, but only up until new enemy units are revealed. 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 15
Sicariphus

Sicariphus

Following from the discussion on this forum about what to do about the "undo turn" option, since we are told that turn undo via multiple accounts well soon be disabled, I thought a poll might be in order.

To briefly recap the issues:

Arguments in support of the option to pay for the ability to undo turns:

Paid undo helps raise money for game development.

Players who have already purchased unlimited turn undo deserve consideration.

The ability to undo turns helps remedy mistakes like clicking on the wrong thing.

Some players enjoy this style of play, and the process of finding an optimal solution.

Arguments against paid undo:

It gives players who spend money a very significant advantage, and makes the game at least somewhat pay to win.

It removes strategic elements of bluffing and deceit / negates fog of war.

The options:

Proceed with making paid undo the only option.
This will raise money, and keep the game essential the way it is now.

Don't just get rid of free undo, get rid of ALL undo.
This essentially reverts the game to its original form, and completely restores the importance of fog of war / possibility of ambushes.

Keep paid undo, but instead of undoing a turn all the way back to the start, permit only the most recent action to be undone (i.e. after an action, a player may undo that action, but if they make another action then the previous action may no longer be undone).
This gives players who paid for turn undo something of value, and raises money, without breaking fog of war nearly as badly. It still breaks fog of war significantly, but not quite as much. Ambushed will still be pretty impossible.

Permit free undo, but add advertisements or a delay.
This addresses the pay to win aspect, and keeps paid undo as a fundraising means.

Last two options: Either keep paid undo as is, or "action undo", but restrict its use do that it can't be used to circumvent fog of war. After each action, when fog of war I'd is updated, check if any enemy units were revealed that were previously unseen. If so, the turn / action can no longer be undone.
drumstep

drumstep

The last two options are interesting, but I can see a problem that may or may not be difficult to address. Imagine a scenario where I retreat a unit so that I can no longer see the units I could see at the beginning of my turn and then I move a different unit (with same vision value for simplicity) back up to the same space. Would the game treat this as new information and disable undo, even though nothing really changed? Same kind of thing with buried underlings, and would finding the same underling from a different space also disable undo, since this actually is new information even though it's about the same unit.

I'm one of the people that likes being able to optimize my turn, so I voted for ad support free undo, but FOW is an unfortunate casualty to this style of play.
nindatana

nindatana

I voted to make undo an option like FoW, but it doesn't fully capture what I'd like to see.

There's a difference between "oh crap I pinch zoomed and moved a guy by accident" and "hmm, that combination really doesn't work to we'll. Let's back up 6 moves and try again".

I really like Fog of War, so the last option of allowing undo to point of revealing an enemy unit is appealing. There might be multiple such events in one turn, almost like the "save game" milestone points in arcade style games. Except here they'd be "point of no return".

I'm happy to pay for the game, I have already. I want my games to be fair though, with my opponent having same tools as me. The contest being my brain against their's.
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

Undo turn is a part of uniwar wich will not change as i see it. I know some dislike this.. in the same way as some dislike the random factor.
It would be possible to make uniwar into a game for "pure" strategists - no undo, upload turn by turn, and remove random.. and while you are at it: only same races allowed - to ensure maximum fairness..

Uniwar is a great game both for the serious players (championchip mirrored tourneys, the coming pro mirror ladder) - but also a game for the more casual player - and i hope very much that it continues to balance this.

There will be payed undo for those that can afford and want to support continued development, and there will be a free undo probably based on ads when the current free method is closed.

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
Forum Index » General Discussion