[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
New Map playing?
Forum Index » General Discussion
Abie

Abie

I've noticed that lately I've been getting new maps to play in random games. The maps I get have been maps that I've never played, have been played very few times, and have been voted on very few times. Some maps I played were played less than 100 times.

Examples:
TriRhombus - good map. But I never played until recently (It's in my saved replays).
Wet Summer Wipe - my matchup was KvS where I was S. This map is a joke and shouldn't even be a rated map yet people are foolish enough to give this a thumbs up.

I also noticed that this started happening to me after my rating broke the 2172ish area. I soared up to 2262 and I started getting new maps that I never played before or even heard of.

What I am wondering is whether or not that the rating causes me to get new maps that I've never seen before. Is this the case? I used to get them in the past but very very rarely and not for 3 straight random games in a row.
Porphyr

Porphyr

You can post bad maps here: http://forum.uniwar.com/forums/show/26.page

Just out of curiosity: what is so bad about "Wet Summer Wipe"? - just asking, cause I don't recognize a bad map just by looking at it...

Thanks,
M.
[Avatar]
simsverd

[Avatar]
simsverd

Porphyr wrote:
Just out of curiosity: what is so bad about "Wet Summer Wipe"? - just asking, cause I don't recognize a bad map just by looking at it...

Agree.. what is wrong with it?

and that is a little "challenge" of people bringing forth "bad" maps... are they really bad or did the player just lose badly on it ..

(btw, the map is made by a very high ranked player and im pretty sure its not as bad as many others)

Moderator of gamechat and forum. Tourney admin.

Send me a PM here or invite me to a game if you want to ask me something, suggest a map for tourney or just wanna play a game
[Email]
Abie

Abie

simsverd wrote:

Agree.. what is wrong with it?

and that is a little "challenge" of people bringing forth "bad" maps... are they really bad or did the player just lose badly on it ..

(btw, the map is made by a very high ranked player and im pretty sure its not as bad as many others)

Good point. When I played the map KvS as S, I had a CLEAR disadvantage in terms of capping the bases. Marines can't get to the center bases as fast as Underlings.

I know the map was made by a very well respected player, which surprised me. I vote on the map for every game I play.

With regards to "bad" maps, even if I lose I don't think it's fair to give a thumbs down because of the outcome of the game.

I have your KvK map EasyPeasy a thumbs up after the KvK tournament. But I feel it can't be a rated map because what if a matchup is KvT or KvS?

Maybe for mapmaking what should be established or added to the map editor is the ability to choose what race combos are good and fair. If that can be done, then maybe Wet Summer Wipe could get a thumbs Up by me.

Certain maps should only get certain combos of races. But not be thumbs up universally, case in point, EasyPeasy.
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

I think this is more likely because there was a number of free map upload tokens given out recently so I expect more maps were created (I'm guilty of that) and of those it is only natural that some will have got rated. It is surprisingly easy to get a map rated, even if it it seriously unbalanced, you just need to persevere. I created "Little Peace in Paradise" and that became rated when I reached 25 up votes vs 4 down. Oddly it then went unrated when it went down 25 vs 9 then back to rated again and is now rated with 28 v 9 played: 235. Of the initial 25 ratings I was responsible for at least 20 and almost all of those I played as player 1 (you need to be challenged to start as player 2). Only once it is rated do the numbers of played games really start to take off (I had played 50+ games mostly in pairs against the bots, but those are not rate-able). I have yet to be given my map as a random game. Also I have not been given any indication as to why it was ever down rated - Is there something wrong? do people just not like it? etc...

I have 3 other maps I have created and I'm working on getting "Best of five" rated at the moment. Its not as easy as "Little peace in paradise" as the latter is very small so games are much quicker thus rating can happen much sooner.

If I wanted to force the system and get a rubbish map quickly rated I think I could. All I'd do is start many games. Play the first few moves then surrender. Up rate my map and repeat 25 times. Most people I have played do not bother to rate in my experience so even the few that did spot the map was rubbish are likely not to down vote it and even if they do I can simply keep playing more games and up rating them myself.

Personally I am not trying to get rubbish maps rated but I can't be certain they are not unbalanced in some way and it is likely they can be improved too.
Forum Index » General Discussion