[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Stadium Mode
Forum Index » New Feature Request
[Avatar]
TheDragon

[Avatar]
TheDragon

A shell (possibly a chat room) with spectators that can view a 'featured' game. This could be used for both showcasing top player matchups and Map testing, The players would have the regular game with team/global chats, but that game would be open to view and comment on live by the 'spectators'. The FOW would have to be disabled and 'players' would need the honor system (no teleporting outside of 'visible' range) but we do that with many of our fun FFA games now anyways (more fun to watch the chaos on the other side as you deal with the chaos on your side). Hell the outer shell could be labled the colluseum as this would be a gladatorial spectical.

So what are the opinions of the rest of the community on this? Coding wize it should be minimal to have the 'featured' game viewable by spectators (non participants) The game and the outer shell chat rooms we already have in place.

...The game of life is too short to be taken seriously...

Teams (Members)
2v Dragon Cheese - (Cheese, TheDragon)
3v bawwy Kwipke - (Kelwynish, Rikb, TheDragon) Retired: Lost Socks the Abyss - (onedirtrider, TheDragon, Mentalist)
4v Plush Pinzers II (Cheese, SnakPak, TheDragon Copeab) Retired: Plush Pinzers - (Thomas K., copeab, TheDragon, Cheese)
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

Sounds awesome
[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

Why don't we have this already
EVR1022

EVR1022

Yeah, this would be lots of fun.
[Avatar]
TheDragon

[Avatar]
TheDragon

Apercent wrote:Why don't we have this already

Not sure. I've been playing for a while and it wasn't until our map test group got bigger than 8 that I started having the idea. Then it was solidified as I sat watching the end matches of FFA Bro's FFA competitions.

As to implementing it could be easy or a royal PIA. Both 'chunks' of coding we already have but not sure if it can easilly be bodged together. We'll have to hear from Xavi on that.
[Avatar]
Mentalist

[Avatar]
Mentalist

I am not trying to be negative, but just like I do at work, my job is to find every possible downside as to give everyone an idea of the bigger picture, maybe foresee problems that may arise and find solutions. Here are my thoughts on this: how exactly would that work? Do the spectators need to have bases at all? If they do i can see thousands of problems with that, for example, do all the spectators need to be in the game before it can start? Can they leave and join as they please? What if I make an alt account on a different device and watch my opponents moves? Who would want to watch a uniwar match in real time? They would miss most of the moves anyway and need to watch the replay. What is the limit to the number of spectators? Isn't it better to just have a Youtube cast like EnnuiGoblins? I have more, these are just the questions I could think of off the top of my head.
[Avatar]
TheDragon

[Avatar]
TheDragon

Good questions Mentalist.

Imagine if the Basement had a 'show piece' game running that all in the basement could 'tune in' on. The players have their game as usual but we spectators could also watch the game 'live' and comment. The game would obviously have to have FOW off (so all can see) and those invited to be combatants would have to play accordingly (no teleporting across the board but only within 'visual' ranges. We've done that with the FFA tournaments and various other FFA games we've created. It's often fun to watch the chaos on the other side of the map (or even when your out).

The uses I see are the following:
* Showcasing. A match with some of the top ranking players to show off their tallents.
* Public rumble. Some of us enjoy a good spectacle, others like being that spectacle.
* Map design work. The map test crews now number far more than 8 and to be able to comment on a map test in progress from the out side could be useful.

...The game of life is too short to be taken seriously...

Teams (Members)
2v Dragon Cheese - (Cheese, TheDragon)
3v bawwy Kwipke - (Kelwynish, Rikb, TheDragon) Retired: Lost Socks the Abyss - (onedirtrider, TheDragon, Mentalist)
4v Plush Pinzers II (Cheese, SnakPak, TheDragon Copeab) Retired: Plush Pinzers - (Thomas K., copeab, TheDragon, Cheese)
Forum Index » New Feature Request