[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Let's build a map together !!
Forum Index » User Generated Maps
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

***registration for this project is now closed*** (if it isn't a total train wreck, I'm sure this will happen again soon, so don't dismay if you wanted to join another opportunity may arise soon!)

However many people are interested, here's the plan.

We create a list of those involved.. For instance:

Duaneski
Miamimoose
Sargeyoda

I would go first and add 4 tiles to our map. Then I would publish and let moose do the same. Then sarge would go. Then it would come back up to me.

Instead of adding 4 tiles, you can also choose to delete up to 4 tiles, or edit 4 existing tiles. Or any combination of those. So you could edit one, delete one, and add two. For example :p

For final publishing we should probably create an acct based upon the name of the creation group. either an acronym or maybe 'Basement' if most of us are basement dwellers

So, that's the idea. Post here or hit me up ingame if you're interested!

***do NOT thumbs up or favorite OR play the map as we are working on it. This will cause the person who uploaded it to lose a map token*** ... If we have a problem w that we can use imgur to post images of the map as we go.

List of participants so far:
Duaneski
Mentalist
Sniggih
Miamimoose
Sargeyoda
Jade Hawk
Jayce429
TheDragon
UW-Sandman
Lodeous
Tomas K.
Wookieontheweb

To edit the map:
Go to map editor, then menu, 'download online map' and download the version the person before you was working on. Hopefully they told you the number :p

This message was edited 11 times. Last update was at Jul 29, 2016 02:41

[Avatar]
Mentalist

[Avatar]
Mentalist

I'm interested. Am I allowed to participate?
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

Anyone is allowed to participate. I would love to get around 7-15 people ideally
Jayce429

Jayce429

Sign me up.
[Avatar]
lodeous

[Avatar]
lodeous

I'm interested

I am a Quaternion: one part real, three parts imaginary.
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

lodeous wrote:I'm interested

Interested doesn't qualify as signing up :p

Keep me in the loop as your interest level waxes or Wayne's
[Avatar]
TheDragon

[Avatar]
TheDragon

So out of curiosity, how do we 'pass it on' or do we each download the previous version and then publish our revised one?

If the latter case, might I suggest we make a 'virtual' map maker (I can create a blank template with photoshop with empty hexes and number overlay) then we can designate grid and action (eg. B4 change to mountain)

Also I recomend we hash out (either in this thread or in basement) what our general map goals are (player numbers, type of map etc.

...The game of life is too short to be taken seriously...

Teams (Members)
2v Dragon Cheese - (Cheese, TheDragon)
3v bawwy Kwipke - (Kelwynish, Rikb, TheDragon) Retired: Lost Socks the Abyss - (onedirtrider, TheDragon, Mentalist)
4v Plush Pinzers II (Cheese, SnakPak, TheDragon Copeab) Retired: Plush Pinzers - (Thomas K., copeab, TheDragon, Cheese)
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

TheDragon wrote:So out of curiosity, how do we 'pass it on' or do we each download the previous version and then publish our revised one?

If the latter case, might I suggest we make a 'virtual' map maker (I can create a blank template with photoshop with empty hexes and number overlay) then we can designate grid and action (eg. B4 change to mountain)

Also I recomend we hash out (either in this thread or in basement) what our general map goals are (player numbers, type of map etc.

All good points.

Yeah I was figuring we could start out downloading and uploading the map as we go. Once you delete a map you in theory get the token back. So that might be pretty simple. It doesn't include a change log, but hopefully for this project ppl would play nice

For this first map I would like to stick to 1v1. As far as map size, I think we should absolutely determine the dimensions before we start

Other than that I am kinda hoping for ongoing discussion :p

I'm not sure what your virtual thing is, but if it is easy to use then sign me up I guess :p
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

I started this thing up. I messaged mentalist that he is up next.

Instead of worrying about details up front, I'm thinking let's just roll w it and see what happens

I'm gonna put another string of recruitments on the boards but ppl could in theory join in later too I guess
[Avatar]
uw-sandman

[Avatar]
uw-sandman

I think the 4 tile contribution per member is going to protract the cycle time frame by a huge margin. My suggestion is a group discussion with everyone participating in a given map to hammer out the general objective and base crtieria before starting. The initial design may look nothing like the final product, but all will be able to watch the evolution of the design and more able to agree with future edits.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 25, 2016 03:49

[Avatar]
lodeous

[Avatar]
lodeous

Duaneski please sign me up.

I am a Quaternion: one part real, three parts imaginary.
[Avatar]
TheDragon

[Avatar]
TheDragon

Yup, when our map tester group got bigger than 8 I had the first seeds of an idea for a stadium mode for a group map test/design discussion. I'd love to see 2 new chat forums opened up. The Colluseam where a featured live match can be watched and commented on, and a Map Room where we can get group participation on map design/testing from the community as well.

...The game of life is too short to be taken seriously...

Teams (Members)
2v Dragon Cheese - (Cheese, TheDragon)
3v bawwy Kwipke - (Kelwynish, Rikb, TheDragon) Retired: Lost Socks the Abyss - (onedirtrider, TheDragon, Mentalist)
4v Plush Pinzers II (Cheese, SnakPak, TheDragon Copeab) Retired: Plush Pinzers - (Thomas K., copeab, TheDragon, Cheese)
[Avatar]
uw-sandman

[Avatar]
uw-sandman

I have a template map already created. The idea behind it is to modify as we wish, but the layout is intended to show tile spacing which helps balance across the races. There are hex patterns, single tile centers, 3 tile centers (where they meet at vertices is center), and normal symmetry. The entire map is not meant to be used but rather erased and retiled to suit the needs of any new map. The map template is called templateLRG, and i have made one map with it as an example named "oddball". Of course we dont have to use it, but I wanted to let the team know that it is there as an option. And since it seems like the start of this is going to be approached from a "wing it" ideology I think using it will help alot.
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

uw-sandman wrote:I think the 4 tile contribution per member is going to protract the cycle time frame by a huge margin. My suggestion is a group discussion with everyone participating in a given map to hammer out the general objective and base crtieria before starting. The initial design may look nothing like the final product, but all will be able to watch the evolution of the design and more able to agree with future edits.

I'm not in a hurry. That's why I started the project before finalizing the contributor list. Because I expected it would be a lengthy process.

I understand that you may not prefer this way of doing things. But I'm hoping this is a way for us to all contribute in a unique way to the creation of a map.

There are absolutely more efficient ways to do this. If you're interested feel free to go about those.

But this is def the way I want this to go, so that's how it's gonna stay hopefully I won't end up just playing with myself :p
[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

[Avatar]
wookieontheweb

Seems like a nice idea. Sign me up.

When will you decide the map is done? ... at least for the first round of play testing?
Also we should be careful we don't end up rating a flawed map. If we each played 2 other people from the list then up voted the map after, it would be rated by the end of those games!

Android 9. Samsung Galaxy A50
Forum Index » User Generated Maps