[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Tag Team games - fast, no droppers!
Forum Index » New Feature Request
Rod clevis

Rod clevis

I floated this idea in the chatroom and got some positive response, so was encouraged to float it here. Most would agree that:

1. Team games are fun, a good way to make friends, and a great learning environment. But...
2. Team games are very slowwww, since players rarely share time zones. You sometimes get fast play in 1v1 but rarely in multiplayer/teams, since rarely are you all simultaneously logged in.
3. Many team games are ruined when one player is skipped or kicked. Quality games are generally all but over if a player is skipped, especially early or on small maps.

Solution: optional "tag team" games where any player can play their teammates turn when they are offline. That actually makes for FASTER games than 1v1 because the larger your team, the more chance someone is logged in and can kick the game along.

It is important to realise this is a new gaming experience, an option, not a suggested improvement to all team games. Downsides might be loss of strategic continuity, i.e. somebody gets drunk and charges with your carefully positioned walkers, but the upsides are plenty, especially if you like joining open games with broad range of players, and like me, hate playing out a game that is clearly lost because of a dropper. And if you have regular teams you play with, then it would probably teach you lots to "adopt" your teammate's style by being forced to study their configuration and deployments a little more closely. Or you can just screw it up to prove they are doing it wrong
[Avatar]
TheDragon

[Avatar]
TheDragon

It's an interesting idea but you loose some of the good aspects of a good team game.

There is a lot of chat (both team and gobal) as folks check in and consult team mates about options. Also some fun smack talk and other banter (with the right group of players). This option would probably cut down on that.

Also what happens to a game when just 2 members (one each team) are on for say an hour? Multiple turns can happen and those other team mates will finally return to the game to find a totally different animal than what they left.

That being said. It does sound like it could be interesting. BUT I'd want it as a special selectable game mode, NOT a default option.

Also not sure how much of a night mare it would be for xavi to code.

...The game of life is too short to be taken seriously...

Teams (Members)
2v Dragon Cheese - (Cheese, TheDragon)
3v bawwy Kwipke - (Kelwynish, Rikb, TheDragon) Retired: Lost Socks the Abyss - (onedirtrider, TheDragon, Mentalist)
4v Plush Pinzers II (Cheese, SnakPak, TheDragon Copeab) Retired: Plush Pinzers - (Thomas K., copeab, TheDragon, Cheese)
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

Yeah I like the idea, but the most important thing is that it is absolutely a separate game mode

Very creative idea though.

How about this little tidbit to add to it:
Each player starts out with
Number of players on their team x 2 turns to take (so 4-8 depending on game size.)

You get another action let's say, Every turn.

Or some limitation like this so that one player isn't taking ALL the turns

Just a thought. I like the idea

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 05, 2016 13:15

Rod clevis

Rod clevis

Thanks for feedback.

Re 2 players playing a rapid exchange of all turns for an hour or so, that's actually an intended plus. Or one player taking on multiple opponents for a while. You probably would find that doesn't happen too often, but some players like quick play, and if you do have several opponents on line at once you can get some rapid action.

Compare that to one turn every 2 days in some 4v4 matches, can be a bit of a grind.

Think of it this way: whenever you login, roughly half of your tag team games will have that little blue triangle of joy waiting for you

Constant action might actually increase the banter, hard to know.

Also you can let teammates know you are going camping etc, or that you will be back on soon if you are feeling control-freakish about a delicate position.

No one can start to play your turn if you are logged in, but beyond that, all forces are "shared". Two or more can be playing the same units, first to complete gets priority. Could be a fun rivalry between teammates. As to what happens if you log in while somebody is taking your turn, Id say the same applies. If you can see a good move then you just make a comment to that effect. Maybe send a screenshot and ask "can you beat that?"

Or you could go full tag team and own/share all the colours equally. Hmmmmm... dunno. I think some notion of my" units" is good.
[Avatar]
TheDragon

[Avatar]
TheDragon

But also remember that most of us join a game to PLAY the game, not return when done with work to watch it.

Spectating a game is fun too which is my I have my Stadium mode suggestion.

...The game of life is too short to be taken seriously...

Teams (Members)
2v Dragon Cheese - (Cheese, TheDragon)
3v bawwy Kwipke - (Kelwynish, Rikb, TheDragon) Retired: Lost Socks the Abyss - (onedirtrider, TheDragon, Mentalist)
4v Plush Pinzers II (Cheese, SnakPak, TheDragon Copeab) Retired: Plush Pinzers - (Thomas K., copeab, TheDragon, Cheese)
mistercreepy

mistercreepy

I like it, any form of new game play is good in my book. I'd also like to see a ranking for three minute timer games... Uniwar would be so different and cool if you could be assured of finishing a match in 20 minutes. It wouldn't be about making the best move, it'd be about making the best move under time pressure.
Rod clevis

Rod clevis

TheDragon wrote:But also remember that most of us join a game to PLAY the game, not return when done with work to watch it.

Spectating a game is fun too which is my I have my Stadium mode suggestion.

Yes to both, but when you do return, you are basically guaranteed action, with roughly half your tag team games ready for you. That's the payoff.
Forum Index » New Feature Request