[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
New Hexes or Tiles.
Forum Index » New Feature Request
[Avatar]
Corrin

[Avatar]
Corrin

New units is the most discussed topic in the feature requests board, however there is another front where the game could be improved drastically with minimal development time. New Terrain.
It would be simple in a development point of view to add new hexagons. The first requirement would be graphics that even I could make with a decent program. It would be one hex per tileset. (Forest, Desert, ect.) No animating or sounds required like a unit would need.

The second requirement would be the actual code that goes into the game. Binding the art to a hex, adding appropriate values, and finally making sure the program is still stable. That's all the work that needs to be done as far as I'm aware. It seems very obtainable to me and I would strongly urge you to give it a chance.

Finally, it would be incredibly low risk/high reward as opposed to adding a unit. This new terrain wouldn't even be accessible until new maps are constructed. So the game as we all know it wouldn't be affected until new maps begin being released. It won't shake the foundation of the game. There will be ZERO risk of it unbalancing the game as we know it.

In addition, it will be remarkably simple to balance. Editing a value or two would suffice.

New terrain would add so much depth and strategy to an already flourishing game. Here are a few of my ideas for new hexagons..

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 13, 2016 18:49

どうぞよろしく。わたしはトビンです。おなまえは?
[Avatar]
Corrin

[Avatar]
Corrin

Rough Sea / Heavy Tides
A secondary aquatic terrain. There are SOOO many things that can be done with type of terrain.
For example, it could cost more movement to transverse. This alone would add unparalleled depth to water maps. It could be used to slow down ships and make certain parts of the map harder to get to. It could also make it difficult for ships to retreat. This terrain could add a lot more strategy to aquatic units. Positioning would be more important. Planning ahead would be more important. (Slowing down air units slightly should also be considered, but this point is less important to me.)

Another feature to be considered is adding or subtracting stats to ships sitting on top of the hexagon. This makes positioning even more important to aquatic units. (Example +0/2 to battleship on terrain. Small defensive buff.)

If all this wasn't enough, I should point out it gives you new tools as a developer to nerf/buff each race's aquatic units. For example, let's hypothetically assume Destroyers aren't considered powerful enough when compared to the Leviathan or Hydronaut. You could give the Destroyer a mobility buff so it can navigate Rough Sea more effectively compared to the other aquatic units.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Aug 13, 2016 19:00

どうぞよろしく。わたしはトビンです。おなまえは?
[Avatar]
Corrin

[Avatar]
Corrin

Income Base / Mineral Field / Natural Resources
This terrain would function EXACTLY like a standard base. The only difference would be you cannot construct new units from this position. The idea is that it gives credits per turn like a base would, except it would be harder to defend and would be less of a fortress. I'm sure many map makers can think of endless possibilities for this new hex.
Example: A 1v1 map with a Mineral Field in the center. If your opponent captures it first, you don't automatically lose.. as they can't just drop an entire Pinzer on it at a moments notice. Its much less fortified and harder to defend. This enables the hexagon to switch hands frequently. Sounds like a very action packed and interesting map to me.

Heavy Fog / Smoke / Geyser
In terms of movement this hexagon would be similar to a plain with a navigation cost of 3. However, its functionality is vastly different. It stops line of sight in its tracks. For example, Let's assume a vision 5 unit was 3 spaces away from a Heavy Fog hexagon. It wouldn't be possible to see if a unit were inside the terrain or directly behind it. However, if that vision 5 unit were to move adjacent to the terrain its vision would be unhindered. It would see everything it normally would. This theoretical new hexagon could add a lot of new strategies into the game. It would allow ambushing to be possible if a player claims the terrain first. Imagine how suspenseful it would feel to be working with or against Heavy Fog. Additionally, this could be used as a shield to defend against long range artillery. You cannot shoot what you are unable to see. This aspect adds a gargantuan amount of new play styles and strategy.
Warning: This particular tile would require more development time to implement, as it is unique from anything else seen in UniWar. It might not even be possible depending on how the game was designed. Vision might be static and unable to be manipulated.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 13, 2016 19:37

どうぞよろしく。わたしはトビンです。おなまえは?
[Avatar]
LkASr

[Avatar]
LkASr

bro, don't make the environment look like advance wars (or actually the Battalion series from those flash games), man. Here's what I thought from this link:

http://forum.uniwar.com/posts/list/2319.page

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 13, 2016 07:54

Never surrender when you still have the chance.
"I have achieved navel superiority" -myself 2017
All the good stuff [WoT Generals Beta Tester, Uniwar Beta Tester, Vainglory Hero Suggestions List Contributor]
Come look at my profile for more info
[Avatar]
Corrin

[Avatar]
Corrin

The only tile similar to advanced wars is the Rough Sea. Not like its been trademarked, it's literally water with waves or currents. It would benefit this game greatly regardless if its similar.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 13, 2016 20:47

どうぞよろしく。わたしはトビンです。おなまえは?
Fiqri2305

Fiqri2305

I have a suggestion: Layers.

Here's what I have in mind. There will be 3 layers each hexes.

The first (bottom) layer consists of usual terrains (plain, forest, mountain).

The second (bottom modifier) layer consists of:
- River: A modifier that modify the edge of the hex instead of full hex. If you move across the river, it will add the movement cost by 1 or 2. And if you attack an unit right across the river, it will receive an attack debuff by 1 or 2. Aerial units have no effect.

- Road: A modifier that makes the hex's movement cost below the road only 1 or 2 while retaining the hex's attack and defence bonuses. For example if I put a road on a forest tile the forest tile movement costs will be reduced to 2 while retaining it's bonuses.

- Bridge: A modifier that you can use to go across water tiles. Behave just like plains (no bonuses) and naval units can cross.

The third (sky) layer consists of clouds and weathers, which are:

-Thick cloud: A modifier that makes a debuff for aerial units, either vision or attack and defence penalty.

- Poisonous gas: A modifier that makes all units going there receive 1 damage per turn. Khrals may or may not be affected.

It's probably hard to do, but if you do add these, it will make more depths to gameplay and mapmaking.
[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

Fiqri2305 wrote:I have a suggestion: Layers.

Here's what I have in mind. There will be 3 layers each hexes.

The first (bottom) layer consists of usual terrains (plain, forest, mountain).

The second (bottom modifier) layer consists of:
- River: A modifier that modify the edge of the hex instead of full hex. If you move across the river, it will add the movement cost by 1 or 2. And if you attack an unit right across the river, it will receive an attack debuff by 1 or 2. Aerial units have no effect.

- Road: A modifier that makes the hex's movement cost below the road only 1 or 2 while retaining the hex's attack and defence bonuses. For example if I put a road on a forest tile the forest tile movement costs will be reduced to 2 while retaining it's bonuses.

- Bridge: A modifier that you can use to go across water tiles. Behave just like plains (no bonuses) and naval units can cross.

The third (sky) layer consists of clouds and weathers, which are:

-Thick cloud: A modifier that makes a debuff for aerial units, either vision or attack and defence penalty.

- Poisonous gas: A modifier that makes all units going there receive 1 damage per turn. Khrals may or may not be affected.

It's probably hard to do, but if you do add these, it will make more depths to gameplay and mapmaking.

I really like this idea, The second layers at least, albeit I do think the third layer suggestions may need to be changed
The poisonous cloud idea is awesome, we've wanted that for a long time, and I don't think khrals should be immune. Too many ways that could back fire.
Perhaps we could make a special species cloud for everybody- smog for saps, venom for khrals and oxygen less for titan
[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

I think everyone wants a sort of storm or something to hurt aerial units. Perhaps we could add in a moving storm tile that goes in a pattern? That would be fun
Could be storm cloud -1/-2, fog -3 vision and foggy storm with both debuffs.

Out of the ideas,the ones I like the most are the road and river idea (I like that a lot) the volcano, the cliff, the poisonous gas and the reef (-2-2 to all ships)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 13, 2016 14:10

[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

I think the original idea was:

- easy to implement
- added a lot to gameplay quickly and in a balanced way
- simple to understand.

The layers idea while interesting is absolutely none of those. The moving storm thing again, definitely not that.

those ideas basically need their own threads imo :p the OP idea sounds great though and man I hope we can get new tiles!!! Would be awesome.

OP - many people have asked for bridge tiles before. Naval bases kind of work for that. But dedicated bridges would look better and not allow naval units everywhere :p not my idea originally but needs added to a list ofc.

[Avatar]
Corrin

[Avatar]
Corrin

Duaneski wrote:
OP - many people have asked for bridge tiles before. Naval bases kind of work for that. But dedicated bridges would look better and not allow naval units everywhere :p not my idea originally but needs added to a list ofc.

I wholeheartedly agree. This has my full support.

どうぞよろしく。わたしはトビンです。おなまえは?
[Avatar]
Apercent

[Avatar]
Apercent

Duaneski wrote:I think the original idea was:

- easy to implement
- added a lot to gameplay quickly and in a balanced way
- simple to understand.

The layers idea while interesting is absolutely none of those. The moving storm thing again, definitely not that.

those ideas basically need their own threads imo :p the OP idea sounds great though and man I hope we can get new tiles!!! Would be awesome.

I see where your coming from with the moving storms but the layer was described in a paragraph and adds to strategy. That's both simple and strategic.
I'm not going to argue with hard to implement because I'm not sure if it is or isn't .
[Avatar]
Corrin

[Avatar]
Corrin

Hmm... any other ideas?

どうぞよろしく。わたしはトビンです。おなまえは?
[Avatar]
volf

[Avatar]
volf

You make very good points about not affecting the balance of the game like new units. I like it. Bridge hex is a must. Some of these other ideas are pretty solid too. Water hexes are where we can do the most work. The ground hexes already have a lot of variety. Reef has been brought up before. You could play around with that idea. Saw in chat idea of swamp being navigable by ships with low mobility. I liked that idea. Keep em coming!
[Avatar]
LkASr

[Avatar]
LkASr

Just like the fire emblem, we could put in the fortress tile, but with more stuff into it:

Fortress: +2,+2 to all ground light, +1,+1 to ground heavy

Mobility Cost: 4 to non aquatic units.

Passive Effect: Slowly heals any unit that sits above it by 1 point per turn, healing multipliers will not be in effect during this action.

Active Effect: You can station up to 3 units inside, and if a unit sitting above the fortress tile gets destroyed, the next unit with the strongest defense will instantly spawn after the destroyed unit.

Restrictions: A ground light must capture it first to activate the active effect, the capturing ground light will automatically be stationed inside upon capture next turn.

...and again, I have more with that link I posted above in my last post

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Aug 14, 2016 07:33

All the good stuff [WoT Generals Beta Tester, Uniwar Beta Tester, Vainglory Hero Suggestions List Contributor]
[Avatar]
LkASr

[Avatar]
LkASr

Corrin wrote:Income Base / Mineral Field / Natural Resources
This terrain would function EXACTLY like a standard base. The only difference would be you cannot construct new units from this position. The idea is that it gives credits per turn like a base would, except it would be harder to defend and would be less of a fortress. I'm sure many map makers can think of endless possibilities for this new hex.
Example: A 1v1 map with a Mineral Field in the center. If your opponent captures it first, you don't automatically lose.. as they can't just drop an entire Pinzer on it at a moments notice. Its much less fortified and harder to defend. This enables the hexagon to switch hands frequently. Sounds like a very action packed and interesting map to me.

Heavy Fog / Smoke / Geyser
In terms of movement this hexagon would be similar to a plain with a navigation cost of 3. However, its functionality is vastly different. It stops line of sight in its tracks. For example, Let's assume a vision 5 unit was 3 spaces away from a Heavy Fog hexagon. It wouldn't be possible to see if a unit were inside the terrain or directly behind it. However, if that vision 5 unit were to move adjacent to the terrain its vision would be unhindered. It would see everything it normally would. This theoretical new hexagon could add a lot of new strategies into the game. It would allow ambushing to be possible if a player claims the terrain first. Imagine how suspenseful it would feel to be working with or against Heavy Fog. Additionally, this could be used as a shield to defend against long range artillery. You cannot shoot what you are unable to see. This aspect adds a gargantuan amount of new play styles and strategy.
Warning: This particular tile would require more development time to implement, as it is unique from anything else seen in UniWar. It might not even be possible depending on how the game was designed. Vision might be static and unable to be manipulated.

actually, some games have implemented that before and instead of your idea, there was a game that does the same thing with forest and mountain tiles, but aerial units can still see everything tho

Forum Index » New Feature Request