[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Fixing the cancel move/vision abuse
Forum Index » General Discussion
OGKush

OGKush

I don't know if there is a topic about this already, so let me start one.

We all know cancelling a move allows someone to abuse of unit vision, by sending for instance high sight high mobility units deep in to see what enemy's up to then cancelling this.

On the other hand, making a move that can be cancelled allows the player to see how his next action would impact the battle (most obvious is checking gangup damage), and that's a good thing, especially for newcomers.

I don't know if someone emitted the idea before but here it is. The idea would be to remove the undo move and add an optional phase (a little button somewhere on the screen) that allows you to do as many moves as you can, with the possibility to undo as many of them as you can, but with a restricted vision of the map, the one you have at the beginning of your turn.

I would see two drawbacks to this. First one being the "misstaps" but these happen rarely enough. The second one would probably be the loss of income for the developpers as the purchasable turn cancels would have no value anymore.

Thoughts?
[Avatar]
japhib

[Avatar]
japhib

I personally think the status quo is fine. One thing I really like about Uniwar is that I can experiment, see how things go, and then undo the whole turn and see if I can get a better outcome another way. There was lots of discussion in this thread about this very topic, and most of the solutions for trying to keep both undo and FOW were unintuitive at best, and weird and hacky at worst.

The status quo allows new people to understand the game quickly--it's what they'd expect from playing other strategy games. I would hate to turn off dozens of new players from playing the game simply because the vision system is confusing.

However, this situation does bear quite a resemblance to the situation earlier this year when it was decided just to show buried underlings. (See this post.) It does seem like the ability to scout into FOW and then undo your move is something every experienced player does, and it's a bit of an annoyance. So along that precedent it would make a lot of sense to just remove FOW. I personally feel that this option keeps the game the most similar to what it is now, since in most maps, after the first couple rounds, there are enough units that the entire map is revealed.

On the other hand, the recent change to remove vision from teleported Mechas definitely is a victory for FOW.
mistercreepy

mistercreepy

Thoughtful and constructive post. I would like to add that removing FoW would make Mecha teleport totally broken in many maps. One solution could be to change the Mecha teleport, from anywhere you can see to within say three tiles of any friendly unit. (could also link it back to vision but that would be very non intuitive). When you elect to teleport the Mecha, bring back FoW for that movement to show where movement is allowed.
Forum Index » General Discussion