[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent   [Hottest Topics] Hottest   [Login] Login
Getting more out of the Veterancy mechanic
Forum Index » General Discussion
[Avatar]
euclee

[Avatar]
euclee

The slight buff from Veterancy can significantly affect high-level games where a single extra point of damage may turn the match. This is true of health values as well.

Veterancy is largely ignored however, even in high-level matches because of how rare unit promotions occur (not to mention how rare promoted units live to be utilized).

By adjusting the existing promotion mechanic to happen more frequently, new depths in unit and combat dynamics can be created with little effort.

I'd like this thread to be an open discussion since I haven't thought it out too much. General impressions about the idea as well as detailed math for how experience-gain can be adjusted are all welcome.

-Euclee
[Avatar]
plumplucker

[Avatar]
plumplucker

Yeah I agree, veterancy is a great trait but rarely ever sees successful use. If it could somehow be made more frequent without inflating it ofcourse, that would be good.
[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

Maybe it would make sense to start by reducing cost to achieve veterancy? Maybe 2/3 of the current cost would be a good place to start.

I think that many people would be of the opinion that it is working as intended currently, but I am with you guys in that I would like to see more units achieving veteran status - and thus it having a bigger impact on games
C4ve

C4ve

I agree that veterancy is rarely in use not only because a unit is rarely promoted but also because of the fact that a veteran unit is killed after its promotion quite often. A lot of matches are fast and you have no time to heal your units (especially to full health), so you do not focus on getting a veteran unit.
If this event should be more in use I would suggest to increase the health of a veteran unit after its promotion to a certain value (3/4 or max), increase the repair rate dramatically (factor 2 or 3) or that this unit has immunity until its next turn.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 16, 2016 14:42

[Avatar]
Duaneski

[Avatar]
Duaneski

C4ve wrote:I agree that veterancy is rarely in use not only because a unit is rarely promoted but also because of the fact that a veteran unit is killed after its promotion quite often. A lot of matches are fast and you have no time to heal your units (especially to full health), so you do not focus on getting a veteran unit.
If this event should be more largely in use I would suggest to increase the health of a veteran unit after its promotion to a certain value (3/4 or max), increase the repair rate dramatically (factor 2 or 3) or that this unit has immunity until its next turn.

Well....

These are all ideas for sure. I don't have any interest in giving out immunity. I can just imagine a tank in the middle of a battle that I can't attack. In addition to being a huge PITA it also doesn't make any sense :p

One thing that might make sense for increasing the effectiveness of veteran status is "Giving" the unit the bonus HP when it becomes a veteran. So if it's a ranged unit at 10 health it would go to 11... if it's at health 5 when it gets veteran it would go to 6. This only marginally increases survivability, but it's more than current :p

Again I think it makes sense to start small if changes were to be made...

I think starting out by increasing the amount of veterancy handed out makes the most sense... because I think veteran units are already effective enough. Yeah a lot of them will die right away, but that would be okay if it occurred more I think
mistercreepy

mistercreepy

Nice idea for an incremental change duaneski. I like it. Small but helpful ... And if it's a ranged unit you are using to beat down with, next turn it starts hitting harder and harder.
C4ve

C4ve

The main question is if you want to have another strategic aspect you have to think about during a match or if you want to keep it simple. I never cared about which unit should kill another unit to get veterancy or even plan my strategy on getting a certain unit with veteran status. This was always coincidence. If veteran units could change the outcome of a match, you might need a different view on how to plan your attacks.
Of course, you are right. If changes would be made, you should start only with a minor change and look at the impact of this change.
[Avatar]
Michaelrn

[Avatar]
Michaelrn

Particularly, I like veterancy the way it is. I would not like to see veterancy giving overpowered effects and/or becoming easy to achieve. Uniwar could be shifted too much to a game of leveling up units and have its current strategic aspect affected.
[Avatar]
LkASr

[Avatar]
LkASr

Michaelrn wrote:Particularly, I like veterancy the way it is. I would not like to see veterancy giving overpowered effects and/or becoming easy to achieve. Uniwar could be shifted too much to a game of leveling up units and have its current strategic aspect affected.

I'd just buff it, but not overpowering it too much. It's pretty true that veterancy is very hard to get

Never surrender when you still have the chance.
"I have achieved navel superiority" -myself 2017
All the good stuff [WoT Generals Beta Tester, Uniwar Beta Tester, Vainglory Hero Suggestions List Contributor]
Come look at my profile for more info
nindatana

nindatana

I don't think veterancy has ever changed strategy or turned a game for me. There are moments of "oh cool!" and I enjoy seeing the badge, but that's about it. So yes it would be good to actually leverage it somehow.

I don't know about increasing its frequency, but the immediate +1 health idea on achieving it might have merit.
Kohtar

Kohtar

I support Duaneski's idea.
[Avatar]
Corrin

[Avatar]
Corrin

I'd like to see strategies based around vet promotion.
If only getting a fully promoted unit felt like a pawn becoming a Queen...

どうぞよろしく。わたしはトビンです。おなまえは?
Forum Index » General Discussion